Chiang Mai check stops

ThaiSauce

It is a big money machine focused on tourists who can't be legal, also immigration says you need a 2 month valid entry / visa to get the paper for the driving license making it virtually impossible for tourists to be legal in time. 

Yes, it's. I'm sorry for all those Thai tourists I saw being fined everytime they had stopped me.

I got my driving license in a visa exemption. So that you said is not true. But even in case it was true, you can drive legally with an IDP if your stay is under 3 months, as clearly stated in the Traffic Act.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tabarin said:

Nothing new and relatively easy to avoid

No need to avoid them if you are law-abiding.

They caught me 3 times only last year but each time it was my own mistake for ignoring above.

They caught you three times, not because you ignored the above.

They caught you three times because you were breaking the law, and not smart enough to learn from your first mistake.

It is a big money machine focused on tourists who can't be legal,.........SNIP...... making it virtually impossible for tourists to be legal in time. 

What horsepucky! Any tourist can drive legally here from the first day they arrive. All they have to do is have an IDP, the same IDP required in most major countries for drivers who don't hold local licenses. It's called 'paying attention' when traveling to foreign countries. The IDP isn't something new. It's been around since 1926, modified in 1949 and  1968.   Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse.

HOW?
I assume you mean a driving license for a different country, not Thailand
Thai license.

All I needed from inmigration was a residence certificate, which can be obtained in a visa exemption - since last may you need 30+ days of permission of stay, so required an extension which you can get 45days in advance...

"some tourists don't want to extend" OK, so they're short term, so they can bring an IDP, the same in any other country in the world.

Archived