Don't ride your bicycle in Chiang Mai

EricTh

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gave up bicycles when I bought my first motorcycle.

Why anyone would ride one anywhere but a dedicated bike path is beyond me. 50kg falang, 10kg bicycle, 2 tonne car - not hard to guess the winner of this contest.

Awaiting the 'why can't I ride my bike if I choose' posts

It is good for the environment ... which dead people can not see or use

While I fully agree with the topic title about "bicycles" (I never ever move out of my village to a main road with my bicycle), BUT:

the video is about "motorbikes", "scooters" or simply "bikes" as the English say.

And here I disagree and say: use your brain, drive with caution.

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Chinese are the worst. 

They're easy to pick in Chiang Mai;  they ride down the right side of the busy roads.  It gets a bit noisy with song taews and other motorists blasting their horns at them.

I see a lot of obvious tourists using bicycles in Chiang Mai. They seem to think they have a cloak of invulnerability, and road rules don't apply to them.

IMHO they are dangerous because, unlike a scooter, they have no acceleration to get out of a developing situation.

I don't agree with your conclusion , I would say it's more dangerous to ride a motorbike than a bicycle.  When i Lived in CM I used my bicycle daily , it's electric so I can use the pedals or push the button.  But the speed is under 30 km/h , so I have time to react if I spot danger. 

Also I have installed 2 mirrors and always pay attention to the traffic from behind.  Despite the heavy traffic , I have never been involved in any accidents here after 8 years , riding my bicycle in CM , Bangkok and Pattaya. 

Why anyone would ride one anywhere but a dedicated bike path is beyond me. 50kg falang, 10kg bicycle, 2 tonne car - not hard to guess the winner of this contest.
That's just shocking. Where did you see a 50 kg farang?

‘Public transport is much safer’: well, I rather stick to my yearly 10k of cycling in Northern Thailand than switching to the dangerous Thai public transport.

Too often this kind of warning is issued by people who haven’t done any serious cycling ever.

Where are the bicycle accidents?  Yes, it's dangerous.  I'm sure a motorbike is more dangerous, since cars and other motorbikes treat motorbikes more like cars than people.  Walking is also dangerous, really.  

All comes down to common sense:  don't ride a bicycle at night without lights after drinking and going the wrong way.  

probably more people die contracting AIDS than riding a bicycle in CM, so tell the farangs no more sex.  

it's a dangerous city, full stop.   super dangerous, yet people are here.  so if people are already in harm's way, riding a pedal bike adds nothing to the danger.  

I think it's probably OK to ride a bike downtime during daylight hours as most drivers expect progress to be slow anyway and a bike is no different to the moped + attachments often seen there anyway. Cycling other times could void your insurance policy for sure and make you a source of ridicule here, especially if your lights are actually working. ????

3 hours ago, madmen said:
6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

That's just shocking. Where did you see a 50 kg farang?

50kg Farang, must have cancer or serious illness

yet  they repeatedly  tout  the  bs  of  speeding  is  the  cause......................yeah  right,  lack  of  attention  nothing  to  do  with  it  eh......thats  the  main  cause.

Never  forget you are  driving on roads  surrounded by total and utter  morons

10 hours ago, canthai55 said:

555  50kg farang, 150 kg motorcycle, 2 tonne car, whats the difference?  Car is the winner again

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

While I fully agree with the topic title about "bicycles" (I never ever move out of my village to a main road with my bicycle), BUT:

the video is about "motorbikes", "scooters" or simply "bikes" as the English say.

And here I disagree and say: use your brain, drive with caution.

A video about bicycle deaths or accidents is more or equally macabre than motorcycle deaths or accidents.

A motorcycle partially absorbs the force of the impact but a bicycle is too light to absorb so the body absorbs most of the impact of an accident. Likewise, sitting in a car is safer than riding a motorcycle given the same force of impact. It's simple physics i.e. Force=mass times acceleration.

Does the Chiang Mai authority release any bicycle accidents video?

Been riding my  bicycle for more then 10 years, never got in any accident. Had two motor bike accidents. I feel safer on my bicycle then on a motorbike. You just have to be aware that your the weakest link on the road and act accordingly. So be overly clear of your intentions so signal the other drivers when changing lanes and keep your eyes open for the traffic around you and expect the unexpected. 

A bike is much safer than a motor bike in CM...why?

1. Farangs wear bike helmets

2. Farangs don’t go the wrong way on bikes like motorbikes do

3. Farangs stay off the main roads 

4. Farangs don’t run red lights on bikes

5. Farangs don’t ride bikes at night

6. Note in video - how many people do you see hit on bikes compared to motorbikes? Where motor bikes are at fault 

15 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Farangs don’t go the wrong way on bikes like motorbikes do

comical , so  because  "youre" going  the "right" way somchai  wont  hit  u  coming the  wrong  way? many  of  those  collisions  were just  that , incredible  to see,  must  be  total  lack  of  attention 

Archived