Don't ride your bicycle in Chiang Mai

EricTh

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

So why post the video that has nothing to do with cycling?

Maybe I post a video about boating dangers which shows helicopter crashes?  

I don't know what you are trying to say about cycling safety or cyclists in CM or why?  Have you had a cycling accident in CM?  How about posting a video with cyclists having accidents in the city then, if its so dangerous and common for cyclists to be injured here?

The number of motorcycles outnumber the number of cyclists many folds so of course, there are more motorcycle accidents captured. But if the accidents were to happen to a cyclist instead of motorcyclist, the impact will be far worse for the cyclist.

Anyway, nobody said it is representative of ALL the accidents in Chiang Mai. LOL. CM has much more accidents than that.

If you can get the bicycle accidents video from traffic police, please post it here. Or maybe police won't release it because it's too gruesome to make public?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EricTh said:

f you can get the bicycle accidents video from traffic police, please post it here. Or maybe police won't release it because it's too gruesome to make public?

What's your point really ?

I have seen pedestrians being crushed on video, I have seen motorbike riders being crushed on video , and I am sure a bicyclist will also be crushed if hit by a speeding vehicle! 

The point is it doesn't matter if your on a bicycle or a motorbike if someone hits you. 

I feel safer on my bicycle because I have more time to prevent an accident.   One time I remember I looked in my mirror and a big truck came very close from behind. I was not sure about his intentions , so I stopped and waited until the danger was over. 

Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine most of the time. 

3 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Don't drive after dark. I will guess that not one of these motorbike drivers had a Lisence.

I agree with the after dark comment but  many do have a licence. Except that they are impatient and usually aren't careful due to too many vehicles around around the city. Worsened by the narrow roads where everybody jostle for a place on the road.

Cyclists don't have any licence but that doesn't mean car and  motorbikes won't hit them as somebody in this forum seem to think.

14 hours ago, balo said:

I have seen pedestrians being crushed on video, I have seen motorbike riders being crushed on video , and I am sure a bicyclist will also be crushed if hit by a speeding vehicle! 

Pedestrians who walk on pedestrian pavement have less danger than a cyclist on the road because the concrete pavement will absorb some of the crash.

Pedestrian being crushed are usually those jaywalkers or people who walked on the narrow road meant for vehicles even when there's a pavement nearby.

So you are saying that most European countries are wasting their money by building bicycle paths when it is equally safe for cyclists to be on the same busy road as motorbikes and big lorries/trucks?

EXPLORE-slovenia-mikael-colville-anderse

I am sure the European governments have done their homework that when an accident involves a bicycle-other vehicles , more deaths would occur.

Disclaimer: I am referring to busy roads like around Chiang Mai city center and not 20 km out from the city.

Of course, you can ride bicycles in your village or somewhere in Sankhamphaeng where vehicles are very few.

Most of us agree that Thai drivers are worse than European or other western countries as can be seen from the video.

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

But if the accidents were to happen to a cyclist instead of motorcyclist, the impact will be far worse for the cyclist.

Are you really as stupid as you appear? Please tell me of the superior extra protection a scooby offers in a collision with a minibus or a lamppost. 

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

So you are saying that most European countries are wasting their money by building bicycle paths when it is equally safe for cyclists to be on the same busy road as motorbikes and big lorries/trucks?

That is not what this discussion is about!  It's about riding a motorbike is more safe than riding a bicycle which I strongly disagrees with. Speed kills, a vehicle will hit you and you will have no chance, bike, bicycles or any 2 wheeler. 

Regarding bicycle paths , we have a few of them in Bangkok, and here in Chonburi.  

This is a newly opened bicycle path here in the Pattaya/Chonburi area. It's 14 km long and very nice if you want to exercise and avoid all the traffic. 

bicycleroute.jpg  

Not sure about CM but I always felt sorry for cyclists in BKK. Saw them once in while in the busy BKK traffic cycling 20 cm away from cars. You have to be really crazy. 90% of Thais have absolutely no defensive driving skills. I have my share of accidents on a bike in another country and must say if those were in Thailand I would have died a long  time ago. 

Sure , if it's something like the track around Chitralada Palace that is near/on the sidewalk I would go but otherwise you'd have to be nuts

53 minutes ago, balo said:

That is not what this discussion is about!  It's about riding a motorbike is more safe than riding a bicycle which I strongly disagrees with. Speed kills, a vehicle will hit you and you will have no chance, bike, bicycles or any 2 wheeler. 

Regarding bicycle paths , we have a few of them in Bangkok, and here in Chonburi.  

This is a newly opened bicycle path here in the Pattaya/Chonburi area. It's 14 km long and very nice if you want to exercise and avoid all the traffic. 

bicycleroute.jpg  

They built a very nice bicycle path down in Prachuap Khiri khan along the water front.  Then all the cars went and parked on it so bicycles can't use it and the police have know intention of ticketing the cars parked illegally.

3 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

They built a very nice bicycle path down in Prachuap Khiri khan along the water front.  Then all the cars went and parked on it so bicycles can't use it and the police have know intention of ticketing the cars parked illegally.

And thats always the issue here....  Great ideas and in many cases made well...  but idea falls flat on their face as handful of careless idiots ruin it for others and a handful of lazy idiots who's job it is to deal with the issue do nothing about it....  in the end everyone just gives up and continues on in the default 'its annoying but there is nothing we can do about it' mode... 

15 minutes ago, damascase said:

I posted this picture earlier in another cycling thread but I’ll include it again now we are talking cycling lanes. This is a bridge in a dedicated cycling lane north of Chiang Rai Airport, where a car tried  to cross...........

20749100-8AA3-4559-A157-DF7F2535C9C1.jpeg

Looks like that didn't go so well!

what exemplifies CM's claim to (in)famy; is detailed at the 2 min mark of the OP video... The Moat crossovers

Poor Mcyclist was doing it correct, and in the Right lane immediately after crossing the Moat.

That Right Lane is not a thoroughfare for the vehicles coming up parallel to the moat! 

That Right Lane 'begins' at the Exit from the crossover, with it's origin and all traffic flow onto it, being exclusive for the Moat crossers.

wWe were there back in November for a week, staying just near one of the crossovers... and even 'our' taxi nearly killed someone... missing the moat crosser by just a mickey fart

There needs to be a massive triangular traffic island barrier installed for every crossover, to prevent the intent-on-becoming-murderous thoroughfarers

On 1/11/2019 at 8:34 AM, cardinalblue said:

A bike is much safer than a motor bike in CM...why?

1. Farangs wear bike helmets — I don't.

2. Farangs don’t go the wrong way on bikes like motorbikes do — I do.

3. Farangs stay off the main roads — I don't.

4. Farangs don’t run red lights on bikes — I do.

5. Farangs don’t ride bikes at night — I do.

This is year 14. Probably just been lucky thus far, or vigilant, or both.

But then I don't refer to myself as a Farang. Why? Well, I'm not even sure what nationality, race, creed, or color a "Farang" is. I'd love to see one, one day, as you hear a lot about them on this 'ere forum ????

Stubby

I almost got t-boned by a driver running over the red light at the intersection before .
It is impossible to see the waiting traffic to the left because there is a small hill and the first road one has to cross is actually for the traffic turning from the right.

Went to the police station in the city to catch the reckless driver. They said I have to go to the police station far outside chiang mai city and that was it.

Reckless driving is not an issue here I guess until something or someone gets damaged.

• Always be aware of your surroundings
  • Green does not mean there won't be someone speeding over red.
  • Shit happens no matter how careful you are.
  • Wear at least a good helmet.

Also how stupid are people who put on a helmet and not close it? Are they mentally retarded to close it?  

On 1/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, balo said:

What's your point really ?

The point is it doesn't matter if your on a bicycle or a motorbike if someone hits you. 

I feel safer on my bicycle because I have more time to prevent an accident.   One time I remember I looked in my mirror and a big truck came very close from behind. I was not sure about his intentions , so I stopped and waited until the danger was over. 

Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine most of the time. 

True, it doesn't matter if you are on a bicycle or a motorbike and a car hits you.

It's simple physics if you are on a bicycle and a scooter hits you. That's 150 odd kg of scooter and ( say ) 80 kg of rider against your 10 kg of bicycle and 80 kg of rider. Even more if it's a big motorbike. They can weigh in at 500 kg.

I would feel completely unsafe on a bicycle.

I see a lot of people on bicycles and scooters doing brain-dead things in CM. As you said, the only defence is awareness. However, sometimes even that is not enough.

5 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Count the farangs smoking cigarettes in CM.  Then tell us who is brain dead. 

I don't know what smoking cigarettes has to do with the thread topic. For the record, I stopped smoking in 1983.

Archived