As A Tourist...

Traubert

I just flooded in yesterday.

I'm a Brit but I live in China.

Point being, its not any kind of holiday in China but an A320 was full and it flew out of a third tier city into Utapao. I was the only whitey on it. From my City, Air Asia do Patts, Phuket and Nok do DM. There's direct into CM too. In all cases you have to book well forward.

Maybe TAT aren't stretching the truth.

11 hours ago, AtoZ said:

You live in China, came for holiday, first time poster on TV who is aware of what TAT is and the rigged stats they post?

Sounds legit.

Yeah. I couldn't register with TV from China. Whether TV won't accept Chinese IPA's or not I don't know but it took five minutes once here. I should have known I'd get the old 'troll' thing though. Carry on lads. I've got thick Northern English skin. ????

2 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Yeah. I couldn't register with TV from China. Whether TV won't accept Chinese IPA's or not I don't know but it took five minutes once here. I should have known I'd get the old 'troll' thing though. Carry on lads. I've got thick Northern English skin. ????

Ignore the Trolls crying Troll on any issue they have difficulty visualising, understanding or fail to agree with.

Anyone who fly's in regularly to Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi can see the hordes of Chinese queueing at the VOA desks... usually 200+ but often consuming the whole causeway area of that part of the airport... its carnage trying to pass.... And this is at any time of day or night

Your encounter is wholly understandable... 

Just go to any holiday destination... for example, Koh Samet, come evening time the beach is occupied by about 80% Chinese tourists... Who, if I'm being honest are loud and insensitive to the cultural nuances of another nation yet are not quite as bad as some make out... 

7 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Did you ask some of the Chins how long they would be staying in Thailand? My guess always been that the average is 5-7 days only while the previous mass of tourists used to visit for 3-4 weeks. That would mean you need 3-4x Chinese to equal tourism before even growing again.

21 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Did you ask some of the Chins how long they would be staying in Thailand? My guess always been that the average is 5-7 days only while the previous mass of tourists used to visit for 3-4 weeks. That would mean you need 3-4x Chinese to equal tourism before even growing again.

@tabarin.

I think you've called it just about right there. The longest Chinese national holiday is of course Spring Festival and that's ten days. The old idea of the family re-union is paling among the younger well educated Chinese although it's still a massive movement of people within the country.

A return flight from my city to Patts can be as cheap as 900¥ or 100quid in my terms. It would cost twice that to go to Beijing so its being well used.

No. You wont see many in the bars. The Chinese kids are terrified of the bar girls, China is a pretty conservative place for a buch of Commies. Look in the KTV's though.

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ignore the Trolls crying Troll on any issue they have difficulty visualising, understanding or fail to agree with.

Anyone who fly's in regularly to Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi can see the hordes of Chinese queueing at the VOA desks... usually 200+ but often consuming the whole causeway area of that part of the airport... its carnage trying to pass.... And this is at any time of day or night

Your encounter is wholly understandable... 

Just go to any holiday destination... for example, Koh Samet, come evening time the beach is occupied by about 80% Chinese tourists... Who, if I'm being honest are loud and insensitive to the cultural nuances of another nation yet are not quite as bad as some make out... 

You should try living amongst them.

My point was, Utapao being a little used airport compared to DM or BKK, its still delivering 170-ish Chinese six times a week to Pattaya alone. Extrapolate that around Thailand and does 9.3m still sound outrageous? My city, which no-one outside the province has even heard of, has a population slightly smaller than London. I think you have to be aware of the sheer scale of the everyday in China.

5 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Hey, don't denigrate the Thaivisa Troll Team!!

They work hard for their money. :thumbsup:

maybe the same guy who is in love with a massage girl who will not give him the time of day or the same person who is marring a Thai woman who is cheating on him with the text translations.  but upon reflection this person sounds OK.

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

My point was, Utapao being a little used airport compared to DM or BKK, its still delivering 170-ish Chinese six times a week to Pattaya alone. Extrapolate that around Thailand and does 9.3m still sound outrageous? My city, which no-one outside the province has even heard of, has a population slightly smaller than London. I think you have to be aware of the sheer scale of the everyday in China.

I must admit I did not think most people thought the overall Chinese numbers were that wrong and even if they are there is still far too many of them ????

I lived and worked in China some years ago and even 8 years ago flights from Gaungzhou to BKK were packed mainly with Chinese tour groups. 

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

No. You wont see many in the bars. The Chinese kids are terrified of the bar girls, China is a pretty conservative place for a buch of Commies. Look in the KTV's though.

This is changing as well. Have in recent times seen scatterings of small groups of Chinese single sex and couples in some of the clubs and even in some go gos.

Some of the houses in the moo baan are rented out to Chinese groups and I have often seen baht buses delivering the male occupants (youngish) with their "rented" accessories........  

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

My city, which no-one outside the province has even heard of, has a population slightly smaller than London. I think you have to be aware of the sheer scale of the everyday in China.

Why do you choose to live and work in China ?

Must be better to have a teacher job in Thailand ? 

47 minutes ago, balo said:

Nah, China is good and the wages are far higher, easier VISA, food and accommodation is cheap.

I'd be happy to live in China.

Thailand is pretty shit at the moment.

8 hours ago, newnative said:

Same experience when my partner and I went to China the beginning of December.  The flight back from Zhengzhou was full of what looked like first-time Chinese travelers and I was the only farang on the plane.

And me, hardly any white people in the big cities or the flights to and from them.

Flights are dead cheap from Chiang Mai, and the VISA only 1/5 of the UK price.

55 minutes ago, balo said:

I'm not a teacher. About twelve years ago, I noticed that Britain was going down the crapper under Blair and his  pirates  and all the money was flowing into China. Everyone wants to sell to China but they dont know how. Laowei (farang) still had celebrity status then. It wasn't a hard decision.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And me, hardly any white people in the big cities or the flights to and from them.

Flights are dead cheap from Chiang Mai, and the VISA only 1/5 of the UK price.

I think it's Smile that fly into CM from our place but I can't be sure. When I went last year I hitched a lift on a tour party charter.

I get a three year residence permit for 800¥ plus 333¥for a medical. All in 112 quid. The Medical is sound. Really thorough.

6 hours ago, Traubert said:

You should try living amongst them.

We visited 3 cities on our December trip--Zhengzhou, Xi'an, and Luoyang.  Like you say, I had never heard of any of them but I think each of them has a bigger population than any American city except maybe LA or NY.  Each was impressive:  very clean, wide sidewalks, electrical wires buried, good roads, subways being built, and lots of other construction going on.  The airport at Zhengzhou looked new and modern, as was the high speed rail station.  The high-speed train trips we took were also impressive--very smooth and fast.  

Fun fact I hadn't known, China has more than 100 cities with a population of a million or more.  Maybe I should have said scary fact.  While America has thrown away 5.7 TRILLION dollars on the useless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with absolutely nothing to show for it except the wrath of a region, China has been spending money at home and seems to have a lot to show for it, if what we saw with just 3 cities is any indication.

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Each was impressive:  very clean, wide sidewalks, electrical wires buried, good roads, subways being built, and lots of other construction going on.  The airport at Zhengzhou looked new and modern, as was the high speed rail station.  The high-speed train trips we took were also impressive--very smooth and fast.  

Interesting , never been there but seen pictures of their public toilets , they were not impressing to say the least. 

But I guess it's progress happening . 

2 hours ago, balo said:

Interesting , never been there but seen pictures of their public toilets , they were not impressing to say the least. 

Some of those seem to be improving as well--at least in the tourist areas--but they were all extremely smoky, despite no smoking signs.

16 hours ago, balo said:

Well no doubt you saw pictures of their toilets in western media which has a massive bias. They wont be showing the ones with charging points,full time cleaners,wi-fi and the like.

14 hours ago, newnative said:

Some of those seem to be improving as well--at least in the tourist areas--but they were all extremely smoky, despite no smoking signs.

Yes,smoking is rife. Tobacco tax in China pays for the entire PLA so you can see why the Government are reticent about discouraging it.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:17 AM, Traubert said:

You must be the only expat in China who is not aware of VPN :jap:

7 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

You must be the only expat in China who is not aware of VPN :jap:

I have three VPNs. I still couldn't get the elimination pictures in the security process. VPNs are not as efficient as they would have you believe. They're only as good as your IP let's them be.

Archived