Very sad goings-on in Pattaya

WhyamIhere

My friend said that this is probably mafia related and the police will do nothing about it. If the police are afraid or involved, perhaps Prime Minister Prayut can get some military men to rescue people from this horrendous, corrupt practice.     

It took me awhile to digest this statement. I guess some here, still think after four years of staggering incompetence and indifference to the common man, that a guy like this would step in to help a poor street woman? What kind of accord is being given to this man, and why? What has he done for the Thai people, to even warrant the consideration of yours, that he would help, or get involved?

There is nothing you can do. Rescue her, and you risk the ire of the local mafia thugs. Report her, and all of your information will be given to the thugs, by the police who are employed by them. Let it go. It is sad. But, then again, we see this kind of thing in the entire third world. Newbies tend to be upset by it. You will get used to it. Believe me, your charity is kind, but you are not going to be able to save the world. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2019 at 6:03 AM, balo said:

Maybe next time offer food and drinks to her instead so the mafia gets nothing! 

The only problem with that is, it's the mafia, so if she takes no money back, she will be worthless to them. she will be non-profitable, and they won't think twice about ditching her and she will be worse off than ever. 

Then she will really need help.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:17 AM, spidermike007 said:

My friend said that this is probably mafia related and the police will do nothing about it. If the police are afraid or involved, perhaps Prime Minister Prayut can get some military men to rescue people from this horrendous, corrupt practice.     

It took me awhile to digest this statement. I guess some here, still think after four years of staggering incompetence and indifference to the common man, that a guy like this would step in to help a poor street woman? What kind of accord is being given to this man, and why? What has he done for the Thai people, to even warrant the consideration of yours, that he would help, or get involved?

There is nothing you can do. Rescue her, and you risk the ire of the local mafia thugs. Report her, and all of your information will be given to the thugs, by the police who are employed by them. Let it go. It is sad. But, then again, we see this kind of thing in the entire third world. Newbies tend to be upset by it. You will get used to it. Believe me, your charity is kind, but you are not going to be able to save the world. 

Yeah,  its quite scary having to deal with the Mafia on a daily basis .

I tell all my friends back home about how I cunningly play cat & mouse with the mafia numerous time every day , they are there to get me and I skillfully avoid them .

I dont just sit in my house all day doing not much, not me , I'm out there dealing with the tuk-tuk/jetski/policecheck/begging/deckchairsonthebeach   mafias

When I see disabled or what appears to be disabled people begging in Thailand , initial thought is to donate and pitty, however I always ask myself this question , how did they make it to Pattaya ? And why did they come to Pattaya ? They have the power and strength to make it across the country, have the strength to crawl or walk all day long and yet have no power to get a job?

they could easily work in a factory or cashier or a dozen of other jobs and yet they chose to beg appealing for pitty.

place where I take my dogs have a family of beggars who are homeless and needy, people buy them food and give them money . All came from Surin. What people do not see and realise is that the entire family are drunks and all the money goes to Booze and glue to sniff

15 hours ago, mike787 said:

It's between you and your God!

No, it's between me and me. Don't you dare try to slip in a bit of proselytising where it's not needed. The tragedy of this situation must not be hijacked by spreaders of "fake news" like you.

Like others, I'm torn over giving beggars money. especially having accidentally stumbling across their handlers one time. But I've also heard over the years many stories of how these beggars have no other visible means of support than the gangs that use them. Conversely, there were numerous stories of a couple of beggars who pestered foreigners in Nana Plaza who were said to be quite rich, including one guy who dressed as an old lady (and was the worst pest) and was seen by numerous people to arrive in a Benz (and was purported to own a lot of properties).

I too tried to help a lady with mental disability.  My conclusion. A lot of scumbag people on the planet making it hard. 

The solution is to develop a thick skin, help sometimes, and wait for your departure on this sinful earth.

Btw. Have a nice week everyone.

Yes quite true, same in lot of Asia countries. I used to go to India 3-4 times a year. I bought many thousands of pairs shoes for my retail customers, mainly went to Agra. Coming out the train station all the time so many disfigured young kids crawling or limping over to you begging, even on the main roads when I'm taxi. Kids with broken legs and arms working for the local Mafia. They break kids arm and let them heal up twisted, they are Beaten if they do not bring enough money back.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:17 AM, spidermike007 said:

Yes.... and that same worthless PM also KICKED VENDORS OFF THE SIDEWALKS.. Putting 'thousands' or more out of 'making a living' legitimately...... Years past I too used to dislike walking around some of them... BUT... for one thing they did keep the motorbikes from driving along those sidewalks in 'rush-hour'

AND as I learned from my wife.... Some of her family sold stuff on the sidewalks of Bangkok for years... being able to own an 'older car' and eventually out of their family group were able to put 3 of their children thru UNIVERSITY.... the only 3 kids ever in their 'whole-family' to graduate (one became a teacher).....

Now thanks to This PM (who only thinks about the rich and their big-face)... the wife's relatives are all back in Issan struggling to eat..... as most of Issan does...

On 1/13/2019 at 2:16 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you're running into "monks" who say they only accept cash, then they're probably the FAKE monks running around, some from China and elsewhere, who are scammers. Real Thai monks who are legitimate gather mainly food donations, and sometimes personal care type stuff.

Especially the ones out after dark.

In my youth I volunteered in Mother Teresa's street hospital in Calcutta.

Saw a lot of stuff in the slums that has stuck with me for life.

The one image that pops into my head whenever there is talk of beggars is that of a young teenage girl.

Nothing from the waist down and placed in the top of a red ten litre plastic bucket.

Her two arms were both stumps no longer that a few inches.

She was gnawing at a small piece of a corn cob, cradling it as best she could between her two stumps.

She was also blind. A further disability no doubt inflicted upon her by her keepers.

As said by those posters that "know", giving money to them only perpetuates the cruelty, as others will be forced into the "trade" by the mafia. If no one gives them money they will not be exploited ( at least in that way ).

It's not just cripples, though they are used for the sympathy factor. Small children are a common sight in farang bar areas "selling" gum and suchlike. Their parent is never far away to take the money.

Given it is common in many countries, I doubt it's ever going to stop as long as people keep giving them money.

If one wishes to live in LOS, one needs to harden up and not give anything to them. As said, if one wishes to help, give to a charity. I donated for many years to the Father Ray organisation, which helps many people. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:25 AM, bbi1 said:

Why do you think Thai people donate to those beggars if they know? Is it stupidity or what? I've never seen Thai people donate money to one of those people collecting recyclables, which they should be doing rather than beggars who are controlled by mafia.

Thais consider it good luck to give to beggars.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, mike787 said:

Welcome to the land of smiles...that is life here and many other places in the world.  You have a choice: help or NOT...make it!  It's between you and your God!

But you're not helping the poor and needy. You're helping criminals fund their activities.

In the UK there are 100,000 registered charities, up from 40,000 only 20 years ago. They are generally set up by middle class people, who can't get a well paid job elsewhere. The majority of money donated, is used to buy their nice houses in the country, multiples of status cars and send their children to private schools.

It's estimated that 90% of the funds raised by these charities is ploughed back into "fundraising", which includes salaried staff and worst of all, Chuggers, young people who hassle you in town centres to sign you up to a charity. They too are invariably friends an family of the senior admin of the charity who are earning extra cash whilst at university.

Chuggers employ aggressive begging techniques and are a real menace. I have entertained myself, in the past, by standing next to them and explaining to passers by how much of their money will be used for a good cause. The chuggers are on commission and get very aggressive with me and, on more than one occasion, it turned physical.

Absolutely the worst charities, are the religious based charities. It made me laugh, when another poster mentioned NGO's with "Redemptrorist " in the name. American evangelists who's main purpose in Thailand is to make converts and, of course, collect money, the majority of which is sent back to the US to keep the Elders in the life they are accustomed to. Most of the rest, is used to ensure that the American workers, who come over here "to do God's work" have a great time here and have a good holiday, encouraging more of their flock to travel here in the future. Give money to NGOs? You'd be better served giving them a swift kick up the jacksy.

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The majority of money donated, is used to buy their nice houses in the country, multiples of status cars and send their children to private schools.

There was a TeleVision programme made about 35 years ago in the UK. The researchers looked into big charities that supposedly helped oversees people (especially children).

The findings were that just 7% found its way into the field. The 93% was swallowed up long before it helped those it was set up for.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

There was a TeleVision programme made about 35 years ago in the UK. The researchers looked into big charities that supposedly helped oversees people (especially children).

The findings were that just 7% found its way into the field. The 93% was swallowed up long before it helped those it was set up for.

There's also the recently exposed phenomenon of workers from said NGOs using their jobs as a cover for the wholesale raping and sodomising the children they're supposed to be helping. A fact that has been long covered up by the senior executives of said charities.

32 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It made me laugh, when another poster mentioned NGO's with "Redemptrorist " in the name. American evangelists who's main purpose in Thailand is to make converts and, of course, collect money, the majority of which is sent back to the US to keep the Elders in the life they are accustomed to.

Only charity with Redemptorist in the name in Pattaya I know of is the Father Ray organisation and he was a Catholic, devoted his life to the children of Pattaya, expanded to blind, crippled and aged. What you describe in no way applies to the Father Ray organisation. It is now run by Thais.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:18 AM, bbko said:

There's several NGO's in Pattaya set up to helping the less fortunate;  Fr Ray Foundation, Redemptorist Foundation for People with Disabilities, Redemptorist Vocational School for People with Disabilities, all these places are located behind Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang. 

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only charity with Redemptorist in the name in Pattaya I know of is the Father Ray organisation and he was a Catholic, devoted his life to the children of Pattaya, expanded to blind, crippled and aged. What you describe in no way applies to the Father Ray organisation. It is now run by Thais.

"It is now run by Thais."

555. I rest my case.

I know of several orphanages in Cambodia, run by Cambodians. Tourists are taken on organised trips to them, to see the good work they are doing and, of course, donate.

There are no children living in these "orphanages". Local children are paid to populate the "orphanages" during the day. A complete scam organised by the Cambodian mafia.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:12 PM, pi2005ni said:

These beggars are brought to Pattaya each night by their masters and picked up at the end of their shift. They receive non of the money you have just given . The police from time to time round them up and deport them, for them to return again within a few weeks . Many of these beggars collect quite a lot of cash during their shift so it’s big business for the masters who are the ones who should be jailed .

Also, some of them exaggerate their problems.  I remember that guy near Soi Nana in Bkk who's bandaged foot was always bloody.  For years.  No, it was not some medical condition that caused him to bleed all the time.

• 1 month later...

This is Ubulolele,

Ubululele is a young poor boy living in the poorest part of Africa

He has only one leg, one eye and one arm 

every day he has to ride on an old bicycle on deformed rims without tires

more than 17 Km on a muddy jungle path to school

If you want to help wire transfer 2 $ on the account Nr 1234567

As soon our organisation receives the money 

we will send you a video

it is hilarious..

just to make clear, I am not a sarcastic pr*ck but if you donate these street beggars carrying drugged and sometimes even rented babies on they arms, (YES YOU CAN RENT A BABY !!) you finance some scum feeding on them poor people and more will come.

All over the world, also in your country, this is a big business!!!

At the moment you give these your donation, you have already passed half broken houses, sheds made from garbage and plywood, heard baby crying inside for hunger, seen sick parents in ripped, old, dirty clothes.

Just stop by and throw some 600 baht or a bag of groceries inside these houses and HERE YOU GO!

You made a donation that arrived to 100%.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, Spidey said:

"It is now run by Thais."

555. I rest my case.

I know of several orphanages in Cambodia, run by Cambodians. Tourists are taken on organised trips to them, to see the good work they are doing and, of course, donate.

There are no children living in these "orphanages". Local children are paid to populate the "orphanages" during the day. A complete scam organised by the Cambodian mafia.

The Pattaya orphanage is no scam. You have obviously never visited it and have no idea what you are talking about.

It's not a mafia at all who takes care of these people. No evidence of this at all. It's a myth perpetuated by selfish locals and gullible foreigners. There are very few beggars in Pattaya. The disabled ones don't actually beg they try to sell, trinkets, toys, handicrafts etc. They have my sympathy and support.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:57 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

It's not a mafia at all who takes care of these people. No evidence of this at all. It's a myth perpetuated by selfish locals and gullible foreigners. There are very few beggars in Pattaya. The disabled ones don't actually beg they try to sell, trinkets, toys, handicrafts etc. They have my sympathy and support.

You're misinformed. The fact that there are only a few beggars in Pattaya just underscores that too many would be a negative for tourism. Beggars in prime high yield locations are always organised, and it's often those in the most pitiful conditions that are most likely to be sourced and exploited to do this. Selling trinkets etc is not a sign of entrepreneurial spirit, except on the part of the people who organise and send them out there every night. This exploitation is inhumane, but Thailand is still in the minor leagues when it comes to street beggars - India wrote the book on this kind of thing. 

Archived