BANGKOK
WhyamIhere

Very sad goings-on in Pattaya

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

anyway, re your observations in Patts

I don't see any mentioning here of the Crawler on lower Sukh in BKK

he is crawling on his stomach in the gutter between Asoke and Soi 4, both sides of Sukh

raining flooding or whatever -no sweat - he crawls in his shitty rags

has been doing that for years and years

he drives a Benz, on 2 occasions I've had a beer with him

but, by all means - challenged people have a hard life in LoS - not much safety network here

Regarding the crawler , there was one in Nana Soi 7  below the BTS, when I came to BKK in 2004 , recently I was amazed to see another one in the same place maybe younger looking . I wonder if these prime  ' sites ' get sold on?

Maybe there will a beggers Monopoly board one day . !

OP, what's your exposure to the world?  Seems like a naive observation and reaction. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Very sad indeed and I fully appreciate the concern. On my travels I have seen similar begging by young children in Cambodia, Burma and Brazil. If you go to Maesai in North West Thailand and cross the Friendship Bridge into Tachilek (Burma) you may witness young Burmese children begging for money and then, when given some, go to a lady sat nearby who collects the money. Even worse in Brazil's Rio. Some very young children are crippled by having bones deliberately broken and then forced by criminals to beg on their knees - literally - for the rest of their lives. It was the Brazilian Football Association who informed and warned me (and other referees) of this evil practice during an International Soccer Tournament. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wombat said:

pmsl....same same but different

charity donations.jpg

This is the reason why I would rather and do give to the rummies in front of the LCBO (booze shops) in Ontario Canada. No bullshit, no scam. I know that he is begging for money to buy booze. He will spend 100% on whatever is his choice. (80% goes back to the government in taxes) I know that it is unhealthy but my 5-10 dollar donation will give him a bit of a buzz and a couple of hours of happiness/relief. Maybe not PC but I am not being deluded by the likes of UNICEF/UNITED WAY/RED CROSS or private NGO's that operate across the first world-third world. Fat salaries and massive benefits/expense packages for those running the scams, pennies on the dollar to those in need. Nothing will change for the better in Africa while a much-loved famine brings hardship and starvation to the population and fattens the bank accounts of corrupt politicians. Disgusting to see pictures of starving pot-bellied stick children passed around for photo opportunities by NGO's to drive their fundraising campaigns. After the Tacloban typhoon in Philippines NGO's given airport priority for private planes to fly in so the fundraising commercials could be filmed. Relief planes carrying food-medicine and much-needed supplies pushed back. 

Yes, I buy a 20KG bag of rice at MAKRO when the orphanages are there soliciting at the entrance. But I am really never sure what is going on. I really only trust the rummies when it comes to knowing how my donation is being spent. 

• Like 2

I have seen this in Chiang Mai, the girl's with young children. Begging dropped off then picked up. Sad. 

• Like 2

You have been conned. These people are getting more money then you are. In fact I see the one you mentioned all the time on Walking Street. She probably jogs all the way home.

It happens also in italy with gipsy family (rom)... So I can't really understand why every time there is a politician from European Union speaks bad of italy about them. Also france has big problems with them and Romanian dislike them. Instead europe institution lovesal and spend money for them: supporting, paying everything. Courts don't put them in prison when they use children for begging or sell them. Europe even pretend that we learn their culture, teaching us in the primary school... 

But it is the political correctness.

So don't blame what happens here, because it happens the same in our countries, in our towns...

Edited by aledale

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:55 PM, WhyamIhere said:

she is a slave to scum-bags who live off of her. She said that they take all of the money and only provide enough food to keep her alive.

This is not only in Thailand but all over the world. Here there are also groups of eastern european peoples who "temporarily import" pregnant women, women with small babies, peoples with disabilities and put them on the street for hours. After their "day job" they been picked up, cleaned from their money, get some food and prepared for the next day again. After a while they been moved to another city or country to do the same. The scums make the money the victims get scratches.

The only thing you can do is being harsh and not give a cent. From the moment those "bosses" start to realise they will not make money anymore this will stop because it will only cost them money.

19 hours ago, bbko said:

If you really want to help crippled beggars, DO NOT give money directly to them, it will only make them or their handlers keep them dragging their crippled bodies around town, instead give to the NGOs that are dedicated to helping the disabled.  There's several NGO's in Pattaya set up to helping the less fortunate;  Fr Ray Foundation, Redemptorist Foundation for People with Disabilities, Redemptorist Vocational School for People with Disabilities, all these places are located behind Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang. 

If these organisations really help those peoples i think it is a great idea to do. Thank you for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While your sentiment is understood and appreciated, nothing new here and you fell right in to the trap. Doubtful the girl gets to keep much or any of the take. Been a sad reality here for decades. Was warned about this beggar mafia by a Thai friend 25 years ago. Bangkok Post has had articles on this awful business. There are books that mention it. In some instances, it is said that some people are actually maimed/mutilated by the mafia and put out to beg. Hope this isn't the case, but humans can be a cruel and awful lot.

Do a search on it and lots of hits and articles around the globe, especially SE Asia. :post-4641-1156693976:

Its very sad But

Very likely Mafia related with police protection

Give food water etc NOT money that really is the only way to help the girl any and all money will be taken by her operators

• Like 1

On January 10, 2019 at 11:08 AM, neeray said:

No doubt, very sad story. Your concern and compassion is appreciated.

I too was of assistance to a selective few in need, usually mother with baby in arms. However, my Thai gf was very opposed to me assisting as she said they were all 'professional' beggars and scammers. This was in Chiang Mai at the night markets.

It is a tuff call. Hope you follow through on this and enlighten others to your findings.

You don't really know its a scam unless you follow them home.

So what's more accurate, a rumor it's a scam, or the person in front of you who probably would not be there if they had enough?

i just give and figure if it is a scam the beggar will be smart enough to keep a little even if they are shaked down later, better then nothing, right.

Edited by Dick Crank
  • Confused 2