UK visitor visa for Thai girlfriend

My Thai girlfriend is interested in coming to the UK for a couple of weeks. She would like to apply for a UK visitor visa. Because of her job, she can only book a limited amount of holidays in a year.

My understanding is that she would need to go to the Bangkok VFS to make the application, and then return again when the visa is ready.

She lives and works in Phuket, and would like to spend as little time as possible in Bangkok. How much time will she need to book off work in order to apply for and receive the visa?

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Considered using an agent?

Mine achieved with a single day in Bangkok, then a trip to go get her passport, Although I am somewhat closer. 

She got her visa before getting a passport ???

Very novel way to go about it !

OP there is no need to go to Bangkok twice, fill out the application online, book an appointment at VFS and then pay for the return by post option. Or is that for an Ozzie visa !

She needs to apply online and then makes an appointment to visit the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok to have her supporting documents scanned and have her biometric details captured.

Her passport can be returned by courier/EMS, so there's no need to travel to Bangkok twice.

As your girlfriend works she should supply details of her employment with her application, if possible include a letter from her employers confirming that she has time off for her holiday and that she is expected to return to work on her return. The letter can be in Thai, but would need to be translated, or in English, if the letter is in English the author would be expected to communicate in English if the UKVI called to verify the facts in the letter.

The rest of the application would be pretty standard, reasons for visit and affordability and other reasons for return.

I understand that an agent might cost in the region of 20,000 Baht, and she would still need to visit the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok and do most of the leg work regarding supporting evidence. I personally wouldn't use an agent for such an application as your girlfriends.

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/how-to-apply

Thank you everybody for your information, it's very helpful.

Looking at the link for vfs given by theoldgit, I read the following:

8 Pick up your documents

Return to the visa application centre to receive your documents

After a visa application decision has been made, you can collect your documents from the visa application centre.

Choose whether you would prefer to collect your documents in person or send a representative to pick them up for you.

Collecting your documents in person; bring the receipt issued by the visa application centre and a form of Government identification.

Sending a representative to collect your documents; they will need to present a letter of authorisation signed by you, bring the receipt issued to you by the visa application centre and their Government identification.

It doesn't mention the possibility of having the documents posted out, only of collecting them either in person or by a representative.

Can anyone confirm that having the documents posted back is definitely an option?

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, nkg said:

Thank you everybody for your information, it's very helpful.

Looking at the link for vfs given by theoldgit, I read the following:

It doesn't mention the possibility of having the documents posted out, only of collecting them either in person or by a representative.

Can anyone confirm that having the documents posted back is definitely an option?

Thank you.

It's definitely an option.

Cost: 280 baht.

Archived