Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 07:24
webfact

Trump eyes emergency powers to pay for border wall, end shutdown

1 minute ago, Emdog said:

Sets a horrible precedent, but Trump doesn't care about anything other than his "face". Nixon didn't declare national emergency after campuses exploded following invasion of Cambodia. If Trump does this, it will tell future presidents "emergency is whatever you want it to be in order to circumvent the Constitution".

Yes, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, for Republicans this will come back to bite them big time. Because it sets up a precedent where the next Democratic President will use the same pretext of national emergency to declare an emergency too when there isn't one.

I expect Trump to do this (declare national emergency) because he cares nothing of the destruction he is wreaking on institutions, he only cares about 38% of the populace that keeps him in power through this anomaly caused by the electoral college.

Troll post and replies removed.  

8 minutes ago, JAG said:

I understand, (from the BBC) that Mr. Trump has now denied ever saying that Mexico will pay for the wall!

I have got into the habit of looking at the "World News" forum every morning, to see what he has done next. It rarely disappoints! He really is the gift which keeps giving!

Oh, he said it 212 times during the campaign.    He's said it many times since.   He even had a plan for pressuring Mexico into paying:

‘The story keeps changing’: Trump falsely asserts he never promised Mexico would directly pay for the border wall

He did say it — at least 212 times during his campaign and dozens more since he took office. And he put it in writing — in a March 2016 memo to news outlets that was then posted on his campaign website.

Specifically, Trump threatened to cut off billions of dollars in remittance payments from Mexican nationals in the United States to families in their home country. That, he proclaimed, would pressure the Mexican government to cough up “a one-time payment of $5-10 billion” for the wall.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-story-keeps-changing-trump-falsely-asserts-he-never-promised-mexico-would-directly-pay-for-the-border-wall/2019/01/10/92ffee8e-14f5-11e9-90a8-136fa44b80ba_story.html?utm_term=.030aa8e4adba

• Like 1

Regardless of the politics, we should trust the people 'on the spot', in other words the Border Patrol. They seem to believe that more wall/fencing is needed. Finding the money won't be hard, it is less than one percent of the total federal budget.  The big problem is that Democrats don't want to give Trump a "win", regardless of the facts of the situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

The courts will never allow it. The simple question will be asked "if it was not an emergency for Two years , what has changed to make it an emergency now" 

I agree that this will probably be tied up in the courts for quite some time.  But frankly, I hope Trump goes through with it.  Trump will be happy--won't lose face with his hardcore supporters.  Trumpets will be happy because he's "trying" to keep his campaign promise.  The Dems and base will be happy because the government will be reopened and they didn't have to give Trump a cent for his wall.  And the Republican Congress may FINALLY realize what a total loonie Trump is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Troll post and replies removed.  

Was Trump using Twitter again?

And I thought Twitter said they can't block him...

• Haha 1