Trump eyes emergency powers to pay for border wall, end shutdown

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, howbri said:

Build the <deleted>' wall Donald. BUILD THE WALL and stop the invasions. Who cares what the marxists say!

Lol , when his fanboyz are reduced to this level of trolling , we know he is finished. He will now just concentrate on damage limitation , not to the country mind , just to his supposed reputation.

He has cemented his place as the worst POTUS in living memory , he just cant stop winning lol.

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Regardless of the politics, we should trust the people 'on the spot', in other words the Border Patrol. They seem to believe that more wall/fencing is needed. Finding the money won't be hard, it is less than one percent of the total federal budget.  The big problem is that Democrats don't want to give Trump a "win", regardless of the facts of the situation. 

I guess you missed this one. I concur- they people on the spot KNOW the wall is stupid. The body language of Bitzy the Blonde and his look of boredom sums it up. Hang on- its CNN so it must me 'Fake Nooz'! https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/01/11/border-official-trump-tunnels-under-wall-acosta-pkg-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/intl-from-the-us/

1 minute ago, Basil B said:

I am sure that if he tries to use "Emergency" powers it will get bogged down in the courts for a lot longer than he remains in office with legal challenges...

I agree. It is foolish to abuse emergency powers for this particular issue. Getting a handle on the border is a great idea, but the precedent that would be set by this is troubling. I don't want future presidents of either party to get used to using emergency powers to solve sticky political impasses.  There are other ways.

In regard to declaring a national emergency Trump appears to have shot himself in the foot. He is on record stating that he will declare an emergency if there is no compromise on the bills. That would mean the emergency is due to the lack of compromise not the border situation.

2 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

In regard to declaring a national emergency Trump appears to have shot himself in the foot. He is on record stating that he will declare an emergency if there is no compromise on the bills. That would mean the emergency is due to the lack of compromise not the border situation.

I am sure he will deny ever saying he was going to use emergency powers...

2 hours ago, howbri said:

Build the <deleted>' wall Donald. BUILD THE WALL and stop the invasions. Who cares what the marxists say!

It really is extraordinary to think that this chap (howbri) considers that I (and a very great number who think like me) are "Marxists"!

It would be fascinating to watch him froth at the mouth whilst typing this garbage!

It is this sort of manic perversion of logic and reason which led to some classic statements like "we had to destroy the village in order to save it" in earlier times.

I have spent time in the USA. I really liked many of the people I worked with there (military). Some began to understand my British sense of humour, one or two even managed to make a passable cup of tea, but "Marxist"? Ye Gods and little fishes"!

1 hour ago, JAG said:

It really is extraordinary to think that this chap (howbri) considers that I (and a very great number who think like me) are "Marxists"!

It would be fascinating to watch him froth at the mouth whilst typing this garbage!

It is this sort of manic perversion of logic and reason which led to some classic statements like "we had to destroy the village in order to save it" in earlier times.

I have spent time in the USA. I really liked many of the people I worked with there (military). Some began to understand my British sense of humour, one or two even managed to make a passable cup of tea, but "Marxist"? Ye Gods and little fishes"!

This fellow howbri thinks that Marxist is an insult.  Or being a liberal.  Or a Hillary-lover.  Etc.  But the absolute worst insult in these current times is to be called a "Trump supporter."  Because one would have to be a serious moron of massive proportions to be called something like that. 

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

If he fell into the Nile he would deny he was in de Nile.  (Though many would argue he has already fallen into the Seine).

Thanks for the dad-joke of the day. That actually made me laugh ????

The Trump administration is considering using billions in unspent disaster relief funds earmarked for areas including hurricane-pounded Puerto Rico and Texas and more than a dozen other states to pay for President Donald Trump’s border wall.

The White House has directed the Army Corps of Engineers to comb through its budget, including $13.9 billion in emergency funds that Congress earmarked last year, to see what money could be diverted to the wall as part of a declaration.

Washington Post - link requires subscription

See also https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/10/politics/border-wall-disaster-recovery-military-construction/index.html

Somehow diversion of funding specified by Congress for real humanitarian emergencies and from specific Defense Department programs seems a violation of Congressional powers and further endangering the public to the consequences from real disasters.

10 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Border official shows Trump tunnels under border wall

At 0:28

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/01/11/border-official-trump-tunnels-under-wall-acosta-pkg-vpx.cnn

They will build great, great tunnels.

Your post got me thinking. It seems to me that if there were these tall walls rimming the border, that it would now be much easier to dig tunnels from the other side, because the US border patrol would not be able surveil them as easily as now with clear line of sight. So, in fact, a long wall would probably lead to a proliferation of new tunnels as well as breaches made by cutting torches or saws where there might be metal used.

16 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Your post got me thinking. It seems to me that if there were these tall walls rimming the border, that it would now be much easier to dig tunnels from the other side, because the US border patrol would not be able surveil them as easily as now with clear line of sight. So, in fact, a long wall would probably lead to a proliferation of new tunnels as well as breaches made by cutting torches or saws where there might be metal used.

! quote : "as crazy as it sounds" 

"The wall needs to be see-through, the president continued, because drug dealers may otherwise throw large bags of drugs over the wall to the other side, and hit innocent passers-by. “As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don’t see them—they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It’s over,” he added. “As crazy as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall. But we have some incredible designs."

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/trump-transparent-border-wall-falling-drugs-mexico

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "border wall transparent cartoon"

8 minutes ago, Opl said:

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "border wall transparent cartoon"

Emperor's new wall by HC Andersen. The original story was my favourite when I was a kid. 

That story fits so nicely to today's politics where facts are no longer facts and sciences no longer matter. 

9 hours ago, Emdog said:

Sets a horrible precedent, but Trump doesn't care about anything other than his "face". Nixon didn't declare national emergency after campuses exploded following invasion of Cambodia. If Trump does this, it will tell future presidents "emergency is whatever you want it to be in order to circumvent the Constitution".

precedent has been set well before Trump , just no one cared about it when done by previous admins. 

Special report: America's perpetual state of emergency

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/10/22/president-obama-states-of-emergency/16851775/

all just theater just to oppose anything Trump judging by the statements made by same politicians in the years past regarding fences, barriers, illegal immigration, border security etc. 

leftists can send another caravan and see how it plays out ????

38 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

precedent has been set well before Trump , just no one cared about it when done by previous admins. 

Special report: America's perpetual state of emergency

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/10/22/president-obama-states-of-emergency/16851775/

all just theater just to oppose anything Trump judging by the statements made by same politicians in the years past regarding fences, barriers, illegal immigration, border security etc. 

leftists can send another caravan and see how it plays out ????

Amazing that the other caravans somehow were stopped despite the fact that there arent 2000 miles of wall. How do you explain that?

I wasn't aware that any of those politicians are asking for the current barriers to be taken down. So what exactly are you on about?

A post giving numbers has been removed along with replies.   If you are going to give numbers that may be challenged, then give a link.  

Continuing to make assertions that people have said something requires some substantiation.  

Edit: additional troll post removed.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:58 AM, webfact said:

"I have the absolute right to declare a national emergency,"

How about this as a real national emergency:

F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/politics/fbi-trump-russia-inquiry.html

NYT: FBI probed whether Trump was secretly working for Russia in 2017

https://www.axios.com/fbi-opened-investigation-into-whether-trump-was-working-for-russia--3f40a092-4e18-4b58-a032-0f5d1f020dad.html

Archived