A very clever cycling awareness test from the UK - would it work here?

Crossy

As a child I was not allowed on the "main" road until I had passed Cycling Proficiency Test. Got a pendant to attach to the handlebars a badge and a certificate. This was seperate from the Cub Scouts Cycling badge.

All Thai boys go to Scouts at school. Strange they don't teach cycling proficiency , map reading et al at Thai Scouts.

The problem is not that cyclists are invisible to drivers, the problem is speed of the drivers and the assumption that a cyclist or indeed a pedestrian will continue on a predicted course - so no need to slow down or give them a wide berth - no risk perceived for the motorist!

Now place a buffalo on the side of the road you will see a slightly more careful approach by the majority of motorists!!

52 minutes ago, 473geo said:

The problem is not that cyclists are invisible to drivers, the problem is speed of the drivers and the assumption that a cyclist or indeed a pedestrian will continue on a predicted course - so no need to slow down or give them a wide berth - no risk perceived for the motorist!

Now place a buffalo on the side of the road you will see a slightly more careful approach by the majority of motorists!!

A Buffaloes useful.

It's a two-way street (no pun intended). If cyclists all had lights on their bikes, didn't ignore traffic lights, didn't suddenly move out without looking, looked when entering a main road and looked behind before swerving to miss a drain cover (or similar) then they might be a bit safer.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That is easier said than done, when you are going over broken glass, another pothole you don't have much time to react. Try and see

You could try fitting mirrors.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No need for mirrors really. Rare to swerve out but decent car drivers and motorbike riders should and often do give cyclists enough room. You've read the highway code? how much room do you give?

There is a massive need for mirrors, which is why all other vehicles have them, so why not bicycles? It makes sense. I give as much room as I can and/or as conditions permit.

There is a massive need for mirrors, which is why all other vehicles have them, so why not bicycles? It makes sense. I give as much room as I can and/or as conditions permit.
It should be 1.5-2 metres, try that. As for mirrors, makes sense for motorbikes and cars as you are in different lanes and overtake more. If you feel you need mirrors get them

Cyclists are at the bottom of the totem pole for things traveling on the road. They are always clogging up the roads, too. Grandpa on his 1920’s schwinn doing 1km/h in the lane with 80 motorcycles behind him.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
7 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

It should be 1.5-2 metres, try that. As for mirrors, makes sense for motorbikes and cars as you are in different lanes and overtake more. If you feel you need mirrors get them

Rubbish. Bicycles are the slower vehicle, so mirrors should be compulsory. And how often do you need to 'overtake' (move out) to avoid an obstacle. If you could see what coming up behind it would give you more chance of not being hit. As for 1.5-2 metres room well that is what most car drivers should aim for and is possible on many roads in developed countries as they tend to be wider, but not always possible on narrower roads (particularly sois) often found in Thailand. 

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

In my experience cars rarely give anything much more than 0.5m clearance here in T/L (or anywhere really), motorcycles "usually" give a little more, but only because they're smaller.

Even without swerving to miss broken glass, potholes, soi dogs, children (or even adults) trying to cross the road without looking, or a multitude of other reasons, bicycles are very susceptible to even gentle cross-winds (especially between parked cars), and can easily be blown off course by 1/2m or more.  When I'm cycling, I try to give at least 1m clearance from parked cars (to minimize the risk from drivers opening their doors without looking), but most passing cars don't give the same courtesy, and expect me to "pull-over" to let them past.....  One day I'm sure one of the bas***ds will deliberately run into me after I've given them the "finger", or maybe even pull a gun.

5 minutes ago, lust said:

Cyclists are at the bottom of the totem pole for things traveling on the road. They are always clogging up the roads, too. Grandpa on his 1920’s schwinn doing 1km/h in the lane with 80 motorcycles behind him.

Yeh the Old Guy going to Work, and 80 Dirt Bike Me Me Oiks going no where!

Archived