Limitations on 6 month visa reapplication

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Which tourist visa gives you 6 months stay?

He did not write a stay of 6 months. He was referring to the 6 month validity of a multiple entry tourist visa (METV).

20 minutes ago, lastminutebozo said:

How soon can I do it again?

As soon as you want to. There is no requirement to wait any amount of time to get another METV.

• Like 2

Only a few Thai consulates have a waiting period (France is 3 months) before applying for a new Tourist Visa (SETV or METV).  Canada - no problem to apply right away, provided to meet their criteria (money in the bank, etc).

But, if flying into many Thai airports, or using one land-border (Poipet/Aranyaprathet), you could have a problem.  Those running those entry points believe that the written laws are inadequate, and allowing you to re-enter frequently is "bad," so they have a history of denying entry to legitimate, visa-holding visitors. 

There is no problem at all if you enter at law-abiding entry points - all other land-borders.  Probably also OK at Chiang Mai airport, but a rejection by-air means "all the way back" where you just flew from, so probably not worth the risk if direct from Canada.  If you have 9-months time-in-Thailand recently, I would (and have) fly to Kuala Lumpur or Penang, and enter by Train, then fly onward domestic-air from Hat Yai.

In any case, be sure to be carrying 20K Baht worth of in cash or travelers checks (can be in other currencies) when you enter - more being better.

• Like 1

Hey, so if i apply for a 6 months tourist visa and use the 1 month extention trick and stay almost 9 months, come back to canada. How soon can I do it again? 3 months?
Earlier this year i left it 5 weeks before applying for another METV, in a few months time the gap will be a week. I agree Bangkok airport could be a problem but probably only a small chance of entry denied
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Only a few Thai consulates have a waiting period (France is 3 months) before applying for a new Tourist Visa (SETV or METV).  Canada - no problem to apply right away, provided to meet their criteria (money in the bank, etc).

But, if flying into many Thai airports, or using one land-border (Poipet/Aranyaprathet), you could have a problem.  Those running those entry points believe that the written laws are inadequate, and allowing you to re-enter frequently is "bad," so they have a history of denying entry to legitimate, visa-holding visitors. 

There is no problem at all if you enter at law-abiding entry points - all other land-borders.  Probably also OK at Chiang Mai airport, but a rejection by-air means "all the way back" where you just flew from, so probably not worth the risk if direct from Canada.  If you have 9-months time-in-Thailand recently, I would (and have) fly to Kuala Lumpur or Penang, and enter by Train, then fly onward domestic-air from Hat Yai.

In any case, be sure to be carrying 20K Baht worth of in cash or travelers checks (can be in other currencies) when you enter - more being better.

I recently returned on an METV from an SETV with 9 days in between (Australia) with no issue @ Suvarnabhum. Those 2 visas are on the back of 34 entries in 6 years on visa exempt also. I guess its's just luck of the draw whether you get picked up or not...

• Like 1

Is the chance of being turned back dependent upon your age? These rules seem to be directed at keeping those entering the country from working there. So they might be a bit more strict on back-to-back entries for a 35-year-old visitor than a 75-year-old visitor. True or false anyone?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

Is the chance of being turned back dependent upon your age? These rules seem to be directed at keeping those entering the country from working there. So they might be a bit more strict on back-to-back entries for a 35-year-old visitor than a 75-year-old visitor. True or false anyone?

Profiling definitely plays a part mainly for the reason you give. IMO the answer is true.

But a 75 year old spending months/years in the country should be using a non immigrant visa and not a tourist visa.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I've previously had 3 back to back METV and stayed 4-6 wks on Oz in between, no problem providing you have the minimum funds in your bank accts on applying..

But this is just getting the visa.. Then you need to be given entry by IO on arrival in BKK.. Have minimum cash on you equiv. 20k Bht, or more the better..

And AVOID a female IO because they are reknowned for being as tough as nails at all costs..

When I did my back to backs, immigration was more relaxed than now.. The visa has to suit the purposes of your visit.. Too many and IO may suspect other reasons, such as working etc..

But a 3 mth gap shouldn't raise any problems, but line up for a male IO and have the min cash on hand..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mac98 said:

So they might be a bit more strict on back-to-back entries for a 35-year-old visitor than a 75-year-old visitor. True or false anyone?

In general - yes.  But we have a few reports of interrogations of older travelers who only spent winters here. 

13 hours ago, owenm said:

Too many and IO may suspect other reasons, such as working etc..

Per the immigration act, "Working" or not having money to support oneself; those are the only reasons being reported.

But we have reports of visitors who stayed out too long between entries to possibly be working being interrogated and/or denied-entry.

Use good land-borders (all but one) and these problems don't exist.  It seems that adding that much extra trouble to a Tourist Visa holder's travel-plan is a price high enough to achieve their goals.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 10:09 PM, JackThompson said:

Thanks Jack! So, if I fly to Kuala Lumpur and enter by train through the Padang Besar thai border, I should be fine through that border crossing right?

1 hour ago, lastminutebozo said:

Thanks Jack! So, if I fly to Kuala Lumpur and enter by train through the Padang Besar thai border, I should be fine through that border crossing right?

I have done it a few times without incident, back in my Tourist Visa days.  They are generally more friendly than Sadao.  Some say it is better to cross in the train-station than above-ground.

Do be sure and have 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks to show, though; entry points from Malaysia are reported to ask for this. 

I would also have a business-card or printout of where you will be staying in Thailand, as the IOs have to enter this address in their computer, and prefer reading from this, than the little "tiny hen-scratch" space on the TM-6 card.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I have done it a few times without incident, back in my Tourist Visa days.  They are generally more friendly than Sadao.  Some say it is better to cross in the train-station than above-ground.

Do be sure and have 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks to show, though; entry points from Malaysia are reported to ask for this. 

I would also have a business-card or printout of where you will be staying in Thailand, as the IOs have to enter this address in their computer, and prefer reading from this, than the little "tiny hen-scratch" space on the TM-6 card.

Yeah, those Tm-6 hen-scratches gave the IO issues last time lol 

Thanks for all the great info!

Edited by lastminutebozo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lastminutebozo said:

Yeah, those Tm-6 hen-scratches gave the IO issues last time lol 

Thanks for all the great info!

No problem.  I have seen IO-reactions from visible-relief to even a smile when I provided a printed-address (condo business-card, in my case, at the time).