Chinese tourist ends it all with charcoal burner in Pattaya condo

webfact

Chinese tourist ends it all with charcoal burner in Pattaya condo

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Police and foundation medics called to the 8th floor of a Thepprasit Soi 17 condo yesterday found a 41 year old Chinese tourist dead. 

Yong Han had taped up the room and lit some charcoal in a stainless steel bowl that was found by his feet. 

It was assessed that he had been dead for 24 hours. He had checked into the South Pattaya condo three days ago. 

When check-out time came and he did not leave staff used a spare key to gain entry.

There was no sign of a struggle or theft. Just 1,000 baht was found on the body that was dressed in black clothes. 

A picture showed three cans of Thai beer on a table in the room. 

An autopsy is being carried out to confirm the cause of death. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-11

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

59 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

a bit scary that it is so easy to do.  Makes one think about providing some passive backup ventilation in one's own home or apartment.  And of course getting some proper CO and CO2 detectors installed and maintained

In theory any sort of open flame cooking is totally prohibited inside condos here, so the situation should never arise. Traditional smoke detectors would probably be of more use in condos here.

Houses of course would be a different matter, though there is usually a lot of ventilation in Thai houses especially in the cooking areas. Some condos also have outdoor cooking areas.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Seems a strange way to do it but I guess similar to being in a running vehicle in a closed garage

but much more comfortable...
as I pointed out elsewhere:

"put a charcoal-oven into the bedroom, take a sleeping pill, open a nice bottle of wine (or whatever you prefer) and start a favorite movie on your TV ( i'll choose "Harold & Maude" ).

After max. 1,5 hrs. you should be back 'home' - painless, nice looking with a vivid rosy face and without any mess for the people picking up your remainings."

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

a bit scary that it is so easy to do.  Makes one think about providing some passive backup ventilation in one's own home or apartment.  And of course getting some proper CO and CO2 detectors installed and maintained

Not scary at all.

In fact more people should be educated on ways out. 

Do you think jumping is preferable? 

And you say it's easy. I doubt it is easy, ever. 

8 minutes ago, Lupusthai said:

"put a charcoal-oven into the bedroom, take a sleeping pill, open a nice bottle of wine (or whatever you prefer) and start a favorite movie on your TV ( i'll choose "Harold & Maude" ).

After max. 1,5 hrs. you should be back 'home' - painless, nice looking with a vivid rosy face and without any mess for the people picking up your remainings."

as far as the mess it would depend how long it took to discover you..

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

as far as the mess it would depend how long it took to discover you..

You can prevent not beeing discovered by an "automatic dead-man" logic on your computer:
If you are not confirming "I'm alive" within 24 hrs, you'll get a warning on your screen.
On 'no reaction' after 48 hrs. an Email is sent to connected people saying: "Maybe something happend to me...Can you check it, please"

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

Never knew about this. Sounds completely painless. Ive been through it to the point of passing out in a pressurized chamber (with instructors) to simulate a non violent Cabin depressurization at altitude in a jet or turboprop

Apart from some mild confusion I felt nothing

i had  that too 13  years  ago after landing in Thailand................still  suffer  from it  daily

I deleted the post because although similar they are not the same. One is lack of oxygen the the is ingesting poisones gasses but the manner of the death is similar ie, the person affected won't know what's happening due to lack of oxygen to the brain, the ability to reason completely dussapears.. Painless and easy

i had  that too 13  years  ago after landing in Thailand................still  suffer  from it  daily

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I know it may b a waste, but I had an small exhaust fan wired into my doorway light switch, which is activated my motion sensor - it stays on even when I am not in the condo, I do this because when I leave for a month or four, it pulls out a lot of hot air while I am gone..........asy to do.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:29 PM, Lupusthai said:

Just make sure that there is no chance of being interrupted. If you are unlucky enough not to die you may suffer severe brain damage and end up living a much worse life than the one you were trying to escape.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:51 AM, KittenKong said:

In theory any sort of open flame cooking is totally prohibited inside condos here, so the situation should never arise. Traditional smoke detectors would probably be of more use in condos here.

Houses of course would be a different matter, though there is usually a lot of ventilation in Thai houses especially in the cooking areas. Some condos also have outdoor cooking areas.

I think the rules normally ban bottled gas, other rules apply to nuisance issues, so smoke or smells may see the condo management taking action.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:29 AM, Lupusthai said:

You've researched this well.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:50 AM, Lupusthai said:

You can prevent not beeing discovered by an "automatic dead-man" logic on your computer:
If you are not confirming "I'm alive" within 24 hrs, you'll get a warning on your screen.
On 'no reaction' after 48 hrs. an Email is sent to connected people saying: "Maybe something happend to me...Can you check it, please"

Very well indeed!

12 hours ago, Basil B said:

I think the rules normally ban bottled gas, other rules apply to nuisance issues, so smoke or smells may see the condo management taking action.

As far as I know Thai law bans bottled gas in condos. All condo buildings I have known here also have rules about dangerous activities, and I dont see how any open flame could not be considered dangerous. That would apply to gas also, as well as charcoal burners.

The only valid cooking option in condos is electricity as far as I can see.

Nuisance issues could be caused by any sort of cooking, and of course the internal building regs would prohibit that also as you point out.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

I know it may b a waste, but I had an small exhaust fan wired into my doorway light switch, which is activated my motion sensor - it stays on even when I am not in the condo, I do this because when I leave for a month or four, it pulls out a lot of hot air while I am gone..........asy to do.

Why the motion sensor please?

On 1/13/2019 at 9:27 AM, NanLaew said:

After 72hrs a automatic post to TVF with why, it will save us so much time in guessing.

5 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

After 72hrs a automatic post to TVF with why, it will save us so much time in guessing.

or we happily go on burning the candle at both ends,

trying to either work it out in the meantime

Archived