Farang Father Obtaining new Thai Passport for Children

Clifford S

On 1/12/2019 at 11:04 AM, blackcab said:

Just wait until she has moved abroad and established herself a bit.

As stated, from 15 onwards the mother does not need to be present at the application but she does need to sign a document granting consent.

There is every chance you would be refused.  The British passports would have no entry stamp in them, which is the first thing immigration look for. I rather believe you would be refused and immigration would start asking to see the mother's consent letter.

To avoid all of this in the future you need to get the kids out one more time. To Singapore is enough. When you arrive at Singapore, switch to their UK passports and use them to enter and later, exit Singapore. On arrival in Thailand use their British passports to enter. Immigration may ask to see their Thai passports, but explain you don't have them with you. (You could, for example, have left them in Singapore if the children were applying for a visa from an embassy or consulate in a third country. You might be going back to Singapore to collect their passports in a couple of days).

Once the children are in Thailand on their British passports they can leave on their British passports, and there is less chance of immigration asking for a parental authority letter.

The downside is that the children will need permission to stay (an extension of stay) and will be subject to 90 day reporting.

The good news is that as a Thai citizen they can get a 1 year extension of stay in their British passport (ask in the Visa forum for more details). Their 90 day reports will also be in sync with yours, which will make matters easier.

The extension of stay and 90 day reports are negatives, however the positive is your wife will not be able to hold you to ransom as easily in the future.

I know it is always said that Thai citizens should enter Thailand on a Thai passport. This reason is the exception to the rule, and you will have to decide if it is worth it in your particular circumstances.

Dear BlackCab

Re "The downside is that the children will need permission to stay (an extension of stay) and will be subject to 90 day reporting."

So if I manage to get out of Thailand (legally) for a weekend, and re-enter on British passports the kids would presumably get 30 day on arrival. Regarding your above statement about extension of stay, can that be done at Phuket Town Immigration office or do I need to apply for a Visa outside of Thailand ie Singapore, KL or possibly back in the UK ?

Or Can I show their Thai Birth Certificates at Airport Immigration ?

Cheers

CLiffy

Yes, the kids would get a 30 day stamp on arrival.

Once this is done you need to go to your local immigration office (you mentioned Phuket) with their British passport and their Thai birth certificate and apply for a 1 year extension of stay on the basis of them being Thai. If they are going to leave Thailand in the next year you also need to consider a single or multi re-entry permit for them. (Please ask in the Visa Forum for precise requirements in case I have missed a document immigration will require).

You definately do not want to apply for a visa abroad, and nobody at the airport can do anything apart from give them a 30 day on arrival stamp.

At the airport you only show their British passports or you could severely cause yourself issues and delays. If you show their Thai passports because the officer says they just want to look at them then there is a high likelihood they will immediately process the Thai passports and not their British passports. Your children will then enter as Thai citizens and you will be back to square one. Don't complicate things.

Immigration will do this for a number of reasons. Firstly, because they are trying to help. They know if the children enter as British you will have to deal with immigration and pay money for an extension of stay, etc. In their mind why an earth would you want to do that when the children can enter unrestricted as Thai citizens? Immigration deal with a lot of confused, stressed and tired people, so they often do what they deem to be best. To be fair, you can understand their thinking.

Another reason is that front line staff are not always absolutely up to date with the law surrounding dual nationality. Some staff absolutely believe that a Thai child must enter on a Thai passport and they will point blank refuse a foreign passport.

If this happens do not get their Thai passports out. Instead, politely ask to speak to the supervisor. When it's your turn to speak politely explain you do not have the children's Thai passports and this time they will have to enter on their British passports. As Thai citizens your children cannot be refused entry to Thailand. It's important to remember that, because that's what it will all boil down to in the end. Quite simply, if you do not produce their Thai passports then immigration have no other option but to use their British passports. They can delay you; they can huff and puff and they can lecture you, but ultimately the end result will always be the same.

You might want to explain to immigration that the children will probably be exiting Thailand soon; that you will collect their Thai passports from abroad and when they enter Thailand next time you will use their Thai passports.

Or you might not get any questions whatsoever, and the kids could get stamped in on their British passports with zero questions. That is a possibility too, but best to be prepared.

33 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Yes, the kids would get a 30 day stamp on arrival.

Once this is done you need to go to your local immigration office (you mentioned Phuket) with their British passport and their Thai birth certificate and apply for a 1 year extension of stay on the basis of them being Thai. If they are going to leave Thailand in the next year you also need to consider a single or multi re-entry permit for them. (Please ask in the Visa Forum for precise requirements in case I have missed a document immigration will require).

You definately do not want to apply for a visa abroad, and nobody at the airport can do anything apart from give them a 30 day on arrival stamp.

At the airport you only show their British passports or you could severely cause yourself issues and delays. If you show their Thai passports because the officer says they just want to look at them then there is a high likelihood they will immediately process the Thai passports and not their British passports. Your children will then enter as Thai citizens and you will be back to square one. Don't complicate things.

Immigration will do this for a number of reasons. Firstly, because they are trying to help. They know if the children enter as British you will have to deal with immigration and pay money for an extension of stay, etc. In their mind why an earth would you want to do that when the children can enter unrestricted as Thai citizens? Immigration deal with a lot of confused, stressed and tired people, so they often do what they deem to be best. To be fair, you can understand their thinking.

Another reason is that front line staff are not always absolutely up to date with the law surrounding dual nationality. Some staff absolutely believe that a Thai child must enter on a Thai passport and they will point blank refuse a foreign passport.

If this happens do not get their Thai passports out. Instead, politely ask to speak to the supervisor. When it's your turn to speak politely explain you do not have the children's Thai passports and this time they will have to enter on their British passports. As Thai citizens your children cannot be refused entry to Thailand. It's important to remember that, because that's what it will all boil down to in the end.

You might want to explain to immigration that the children will probably be exiting Thailand soon; that you will collect their Thai passports from abroad and when they enter Thailand next time you will use their Thai passports.

Or you might not get any questions whatsoever, and the kids could get stamped in on their British passports with zero questions. That is a possibility too, but best to be prepared.

Thanks for the detailed answer BlackCab. Think I've got it all now. I Think I will leave the Thai passport(s) with friends abroad so then there's only the British Passport option when reentering the Kingdom.

Note to self, no booze on the plane, stay calm and be prepared for a long slow meeting at Immigration. And smile at all times.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

My son and I flew to KL last week for 24 hours. Flew out on his Thai Passport which only had 3 months remaining. Flew into KL/Out of KL/Into Thailand on his British Passport.

Went very smoothly. Phuket Immigration gave him a 30 day stamp so as recommended by BlackCab I now need to get him a one year Extension at Immigration using his Thai Birth Certificate. 

Will be a bit trickier with my other child as I don't have her Thai passport....

Cheers,

Cliffy.

@Clifford S That's really good news. Thank you for posting the update; it will undoubtedly help and reassure others in the future.

Please do not forget that your son will need a re-entry permit if he is going to leave Thailand and wants to return, just like you do. You also need to take care of his 90 day reports.

Perhaps it's worth helping the mother out with some cash to get your daughter's missing passport replaced, then taking another short family trip. That will finally get you out of the predicament you are in.

Take very good care of the passports. They need to be locked away securely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 2:11 PM, blackcab said:

@Clifford S That's really good news. Thank you for posting the update; it will undoubtedly help and reassure others in the future.

Please do not forget that your son will need a re-entry permit if he is going to leave Thailand and wants to return, just like you do. You also need to take care of his 90 day reports.

Perhaps it's worth helping the mother out with some cash to get your daughter's missing passport replaced, then taking another short family trip. That will finally get you out of the predicament you are in.

Take very good care of the passports. They need to be locked away securely.

Noted BlackCab. Will be heading for his first trip to Immigration next week. 

Quick Update :

A few weeks ago, I flew with my son to KL for the weekend. He had 3 months left on his Thai passport. He has 4 years left on his British Passport. No documents required at Immigration leaving Phuket. All went smoothly. On returning he got a 30 day stamp on his British Passport.

Last week I flew with my daughter for the day to KL and back. No Thai Passport. New BLANK British passport. Immigration Officer checked, then asked us to go to the Desks by the Overstay Area. They Asked a few question, copied her Thai Birth Certificate and passport and allowed us through quite quickly. I had copies of lots of other documents but wasn't asked for any. The IO did however say maybe we have problem next time we try to do this...

Yesterday morning 8.30am took the kids to Phuket Immigration, went to Ground floor room on the right (Room 103 I think), very helpful smiley IO outside, completed the forms (usual extension of stay forms I think), applied for 365 days, took loads of docs again, half not required, 20 minutes later we were on our way to Central for breakfast ....which wasn't even open yet !

So I need one more KL trip with the kids to confirm we're all OK now.

And also to remember to do our 90 day Address reporting !

Cheers,

Cliffy.

Just now, Clifford S said:

Quick Update :

A few weeks ago, I flew with my son to KL for the weekend. He had 3 months left on his Thai passport. He has 4 years left on his British Passport. No documents required at Immigration leaving Phuket. All went smoothly. On returning he got a 30 day stamp on his British Passport.

Last week I flew with my daughter for the day to KL and back. No Thai Passport. New BLANK British passport. Immigration Officer checked, then asked us to go to the Desks by the Overstay Area. They Asked a few question, copied her Thai Birth Certificate and passport and allowed us through quite quickly. I had copies of lots of other documents but wasn't asked for any. The IO did however say maybe we have problem next time we try to do this...

Yesterday morning 8.30am took the kids to Phuket Immigration, went to Ground floor room on the right (Room 103 I think), very helpful smiley IO outside, completed the forms (usual extension of stay forms I think), applied for 365 days, took loads of docs again, half not required, 20 minutes later we were on our way to Central for breakfast ....which wasn't even open yet !

So I need one more KL trip with the kids to confirm we're all OK now.

And also to remember to do our 90 day Address reporting !

Cheers,

Cliffy.

Bloody annoying reading about when everything goes smoothly and successfully .

I'm off to go and read a moaning and complaining thread 

Ps Note to self (and others), Immigration didn't' need copies of :

My passport

Thai Mothers Thai Id

Did need copies of :

Tabiaan Baan

Kor Ror 11 but not the Court letter that accompanied it

Children's British Passports

Ps Also Didn't need Hand drawn map of where we live or Proof of kids (Pocket Money) Income !!!!

On 2/25/2019 at 1:59 AM, blackcab said:

That's a really good result. I'm pleased for you.

Thank you for updating the thread for the benefit of future readers who finds themselves in the same situation.

My pleasure Blackcab, likewise thanks for your advice on this process....

• 4 months later...
On 1/14/2019 at 3:22 AM, Clifford S said:

Yup I think I'll give that a try, they don't have Id cards but I'm going to try to get them ASAP...

They can get ID cards when they are 7. If they are over or close to that age, some planning as to how to get them ID cards might be order too. I guess the mother’s cooperation would be needed for this too.

Archived