Thailand named in top ten in the world for retirees - TAT says accolade is richly deserved

webfact

Thailand named in top ten in the world for retirees - TAT says accolade is richly deserved

4pm.jpg

Picture: TNA

Thailand has been named in the top ten of best places in the world for retirees. 

And the kingdom is rated the second best place in Asia. 

The chief of the tourism authority has said it is a deserved award pointing to all the reasons Thailand is wonderful for those in retirement. 

An index published in an annual report by International Living magazine put Panama at the top of the list. Malaysia featured in fifth but Thailand in ninth even beat out top retirement destination Spain in tenth. 

The magazine considered factors such as culture, weather and living conditions. There were lots of options in the countries named in the top ten for living in coastal as well as mountain areas. Reasonable rents and the choice of living both the high life and a more modest existence were other main factors.

Specifically for Thailand the magazine pointed to choices for retirees on both the Gulf and Andaman coasts, ease of travel to bordering nations as well as the great culture born of the fact that Thailand has never been colonized. 

Chief of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Supphasorn was understandably beaming with pride as he spoke of how the accolade was truly warranted. 

He said: "It is great news and a further feather in our cap. Really there are many provinces where retirees decide to settle in Thailand". 

He pointed to Chiang Mai, Nakorn Panom and Nong Khai in particular where the attraction of wonderful nature, the quiet surroundings and the possibility of economical living all made for fantastic retirement opportunities.

Here is the full list: Panama in first followed by Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Malaysia, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Thailand and Spain in tenth. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-11

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kannot said:

yeah .  we'll  just  slip  that  in there  eh

Not colonized,  but certainly invaded on a regular basis. The Burmese did it for a weekend away.

Any country that did invade ( Japan, France, Burma, Cambo and others) probably came up against the impossible immigration rules for spouse and retirement and decide NOT to colonise this shambles of a country. ????

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Reasonable rents and the choice of living both the high life and a more modest existence were other main factors.

Aggravation with renewing visas and being made to constantly be reminded that you are not ever going to be made to feel really welcome, obviously points not something considered then.

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Right - TAT has stated something and is 'burning with pride', so immediately reverse their claim - and you will have the truth!

Tat is  great....................ok did  that to level things up????

It shows the official attitude to retirees that it is a TAT announcement making with the fanfare not an immigration announcement.

I am sure the list makers didn't take into consideration the petty paperwork required by the authorities to stay and the chances of gaining citizenship as a reult of extended stay.

22 minutes ago, kannot said:
24 minutes ago, webfact said:

born of the fact that Thailand has never been colonized.

yeah .  we'll  just  slip  that  in there  eh

Invaded many times, the last time by the Japanese in WW2, but colonised - never.

My Favourite is the way the Chinese wrote the Emigration Laws to benefit themselves regarding Business/ Factory Ownership. What a fantastic way of knocking out competition. A nice Bumpy Playing Field. Oh that i could killed off competition like that back at home, old Mr Woo can walk in and open up what he likes.!!.

for many years I have been actively looking forward to my retirement in Thailand which is pretty close now, but with recent events and the unfriendly visa requirements, I am now looking to Cambodia ...

I'm both sad about that but looking forward to exploring the new options in Cambodia.

This year will be my last trip to Thailand

54 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Should be like "music everywhere so you happy"

Tell that to the guy who shot  his neighbour dead a  few  years back....................in Thailand after years of noisy music.

I never  actually  find often where its coming from as its base frequencies and could be km's  away. I have no neighbours for 500km and then its only 1

Spain with real police,free medical/hospital care,safe roads,cheap property that you actually own,no dual pricing,no pesticide in your food,civilised people who won't attack you with a knife if you complain about noise,clean environment,cheap living.aparently a large beer cost €1 euro in Benidorm and I was paying 190b or £5 yesterday.so I don't see how Thailand has beat Spain on the list.also apart from Portugal and Malaysia I can't see why any of the others are on the list.weve got a retired fella in the village who first retired in Costa Rica.said it was hell with corruption,crime and he lost a home out there.i say the people who make up these lists are clueless and never even been to many of the places on the list.where were the real places to retire,New Zealand,Australia,parts of America,Cyprus,the list goes on.

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

Not colonized,  but certainly invaded on a regular basis. The Burmese did it for a weekend away.

Any country that did invade ( Japan, France, Burma, Cambo and others) probably came up against the impossible immigration rules for spouse and retirement and decide NOT to colonise this shambles of a country. ????

Top of the shelf. I like how your brain works. ????

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Aggravation with renewing visas and being made to constantly be reminded that you are not ever going to be made to feel really welcome, obviously points not something considered then.

Yep, Cannot find any reason to retire to Thailand other than the weather.

Colombia is starting to look pretty good in my recent research.

Thailand is about to kill the Golden Goose (or eliminate the riffraff) with its new, mercenary bank deposit amount/income policy.

Archived