Thailand named in top ten in the world for retirees - TAT says accolade is richly deserved

webfact

In days past, before the internet, social media and instant "news", much was hidden, distorted and unreported. The dark side of what goes on here is not altered by superfiscial posturing, photo ops and meaningless acolades.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, mshs said:

68 million Thais make an average of $6,666/year versus 65 million Brits making $44,444/year.

OK!

And that means...? What? Not a damn thing.

The landed barons are known for buying properties in London, and they should be stopped from doing so while forbidding UK nationals from owning property in Thailand. It's fear of the dreaded foreigner pure and simple, and an attempt to make sure that Thais are the only ones allowed to own property in Thailand. Any thought that it's because the landed gentry care for the Thai poor as I saw opined here yesterday, is delusional, pure and simple.

Average earning has not a thing to do with anything.

5 hours ago, mshs said:

I say they are estrogen-rich and pass themselves off as people.

How strange. That's what I think of most Thais - passing themselves off as real people I mean, I neither know nor care about their oestrogen content, as far as I'm concerned they're all big girls anyway.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:52 AM, darksidedog said:

Aggravation with renewing visas and being made to constantly be reminded that you are not ever going to be made to feel really welcome, obviously points not something considered then.

Exactly, the "annual renewal fiasco even after many years of being here, never offered long term visa or residency unless you can jump through many hoops & pay a huge sum...

ohhhh and not forgetting the 90 day reminder that you're just a guest !!!

Would be a short retirement in Mexico.

I'm guessing you're under the false impression that every area is riddled with narco violence. That simply isn't true. Areas that are quite safe and safer than most U. S. cities include Merida in Yucatan and the big city of Queretaro that enjoys year round spring like weather. Both have great cultural attractions but Merida is very very hot and humid and housing around the more desirable central colonial district in Querataro has grown expensive. Most of the Mexicans there are middle class, per capita income is 20k usd, and it's become the Silicon Valley of Mexico. For real estate investor types I would suggest having a look.  

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, thequietman said:

Not colonized,  but certainly invaded on a regular basis. The Burmese did it for a weekend away.

Any country that did invade ( Japan, France, Burma, Cambo and others) probably came up against the impossible immigration rules for spouse and retirement and decide NOT to colonise this shambles of a country. ????

That's not really the point. Thailand retained its independence for two reasons. Firstly the acuity and wisdom of its monarchs in the Chakri dynasty. Secondly and perhaps, more importantly, it suited the interests of Britain and France to maintain Siam as a buffer state. In practical terms, it meant Britain had extraordinary influence including the right to administer justice to its own subjects. With other European powers, it "advised" the Siamese Government. It controlled key economic sectors such as the teak trade. It exerted enormous soft power with upper-class Siamese aspiring to an education at the best English schools and universities. It was certainly a kind of colonisation as was the case in other territories not formally ceded such as Egypt and Argentina.

And yet it worked both ways. The Thais cleverly played off one European power against another and kept their nominal independence. It was no small achievement and explains much of the Thai self-confidence and lack of chip on the shoulder.

A cynic might say that independence was given up when the Thais let the Chinese run the show.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:47 AM, kannot said:

is  this actually in  thailand? i  live  in  the  country  and  i  still  hear  thud  thud  thud  bloody  music regularly

Such a happy person despite the conditions you live in????????????????????

Never read such a misleading, wrong headed and blatantly inaccurate report in my life. Not sure what planet these people live on but it's not this one.  Do they even know anything about  how Thailand treats its expats?  If I hadn't married my Thai wife many years ago I would never have considered retiring here. 

6 hours ago, monkeycu said:

Please feel free to return to your own country if you cant handle it here

Some of us like it here due to the fact we accept the fact Thailand is not perfect, mind you NO country is

'not perfect', rather a big understatement. 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, dyertribe said:

for many years I have been actively looking forward to my retirement in Thailand which is pretty close now, but with recent events and the unfriendly visa requirements, I am now looking to Cambodia ...

I'm both sad about that but looking forward to exploring the new options in Cambodia.

This year will be my last trip to Thailand

stay away is my recommendation, as you seem to recognise, there are much more welcoming countries near by, who value the investment that expats bring. 

So go there.  I don't understand why people continually bitch about the place and yet they stay.  With so many 'better' options out there go for it, pack up and go, I did after 20 odd happy years and no regrets.  Sure, I could bitch about all the crappy bits with the best of them and when they began to outweigh the good stuff I started packing.  It is what it is and it a'int gonna change any time soon. 

Also, it's a fair comment if you can't scrape together 20k pounds to leave on deposit I wouldn't want you living in my country either as a retiree accident waiting to happen. What will they do in an emergency? Open an internet begging account?  I guess the happy people with a couple of bob aren't sat on computers reading forums, probably out having a good time.
They bitch and stay because deep down they know they are full of it and would bitch even if they had free life visa and free room in Monaco.

Punters leaving because to lazy to go to immigration once a year and send in a 90 day report by post.. Lazy!

Everywhere is getting tight. Take a look at Phillipines new immigration proposal.

Deported for being rude! And getting caught with a hooker.. I guess that eliminates 99%"of farang [emoji16]

Cambodia is a true s.. hole

Vietnam awful infrastructure and Medicare.

Philippines

● Exit Clearance will now be required after 60 days - [MTV] Essentially if you stay in country for > 60 days you need Tax Clearance before you can leave, even if leaving for a holiday - IIRC this is currently 6 Months
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will be cancelled on divorce, relationship abandonment, or failure to provide support for Filipino spouse and family(does not disclose as what extent of her existing family). - [MTV] Scary 
● Foreigners Permanent Residency will cancelled if outside the Philippines more than 1 year.
● Foreigners will no longer be allowed to establish any type of business under a visitor visa.- [MTV] One of the major selling points of PI over TH
● New visa applicants will be required to have a physical and mental evaluation prior to getting an immigrant visa. - [MTV] Speechless
● Entry into the Philippines will be denied for those believed to arriving for the purpose of getting prostitutes or showing "disrespect" to any government official or employee. - [MTV] Some may guffaw at this but anybody who's visited the Philippines for the past 10+ years can tell you about clampdowns in Manila & (especially) Cebu 
● Deportable offenses: engaging in prostitution,  being deemed a public charge, being deemed undesirable, and being "rude" .- [MTV] Speechless
● Foreigners must register within 60 days of arrival and update any changes in said registration within 7 days. - [MTV] TM30/TM28 anybody?
● Also states that the immigration agency can start requiring cash bonds on demand to ensure immigration adherence. Provision perhaps for longer stays?- [MTV] at the moment the only cash requirement outside of visa expenses is if you go for an SRRV Visa, this sounds more like they're going to want to see Funds in the Bank for people who are staying longer on any kind of basis
● Imprisonment offences of not less than 5 years: falsely claiming to be a Filipino citizen, pretending to be someone else or using false documents, making a false statement in any immigration matter,   

On 1/11/2019 at 8:44 AM, webfact said:

He pointed to Chiang Mai, Nakorn Panom and Nong Khai in particular where the attraction of wonderful nature, the quiet surroundings

Doesn't take too much looking around to notice that nature has been destroyed and burnt down. Excessive noise is everywhere. Air pollution levels go way past international healthy levels. You couldn't pay me to live in these places. While these places have their upsides, I don't agree with falsifying information about them like this guy is doing.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:46 PM, kannot said:

yeah .  we'll  just  slip  that  in there  eh

Like Singapore who because of the British learned English...I don't always think that countries should be forced to learn English- including Thailand.it's up to the particular country to decide. What Thailand must decide is "if" they want to accept global whatever. And if they do not, then accept the reality of language barriers. I have a friend who works for french-owned company in Phuket.  And the owner treats Thai employees like crap. Is this OK? Just for a pay check?Nope- I think not...like anywhere else, when you treat employees with respect, then you - like anywhere else will gain respect. Ih not, then anywhere else, those who are disrespected will look elsewhere. Meanwhile, the <deleted> employers who take advantage of Thai natives will go unanswered. nope- not cool. I have advised certain individuals of Thai employment law- of which those <deleted> employers have no clue.

Therefore, any "foreign" employers be aware...Thai law will either check you or bring you down:).

“Thailand has never been colonized” could have been more of a deterrent than an advantage. Unplanned streets, no respect to laws and regulations, out dated education system, no thought in pre-planning could have benefited from a more Western influence....Look at Singapore, Malaysia, or even Panama.

I believe theres countries in asia with much more friendly immigration laws. Thailand is terrible in that space. How can it be on top?

From top of my mind.
Singapore
Vietnam
Cambodia

Someone knowledgeable can tell more...

I believe theres countries in asia with much more friendly immigration laws. Thailand is terrible in that space. How can it be on top?

From top of my mind.

Singapore

Vietnam

Cambodia

Someone knowledgeable can tell more...

You can't compare thailand to Singapore for obvious reasons.

Cambodia is an armpit and Vietnam is just ok but terrible infrastructure and Medicare.

You do realise that any survey is going to take into consideration more than just one item that you appear to be stuck on

On 1/11/2019 at 8:44 AM, webfact said:

Chief of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Supphasorn was understandably beaming with pride as he spoke of how the accolade was truly warranted.

Let's point out the obvious: Retirees in Thailand are viewed as tourists as opposed to long-term assets to the financial benefit of their host country.

Those countries who see retirees as financial contributors to their countries offer retiree's a path to permanent residence as opposed to treating them like tourist on a year-to-year extension, or like a parolee who needs to check in with the authorities every 90 days.  Actually, Thai prison parolees to the best of my knowledge are under less stringent reporting requirements that foreigners on yearly extensions. 

Archived