Thailand named in top ten in the world for retirees - TAT says accolade is richly deserved

webfact

6 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

I didn't really mean nutritious. But I do think it's tasty. God only knows what they put in everything - pesticides, antibiotics. etc. But I have to eat. I can't live on beer alone.

Fair enough I suppose. I dined in Thai restaurants in London twice. The food (Pad Thai and then Keneng) tasted like cardboard and I had to leave it. In Thailand, it's chock full of pesticide, weed killer and a handful of chilli peppers.

I think anyone who eats Thai food twice is a raving lunatic. My personal opinion.

What I wouldn't give for a few cold lamb and mint sauce sandwiches, but do you think you can buy decent lamb in Thailand? The only time I tried, it certainly tasted like lamb but it looked like entrails or fish bladders. Yum. Ecch

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I doubt International Living magazine is aware of the onerous Immigration requirements for foreign retirees. If they were Thailand would probably slip to second last.

Also they are probably not aware that another offshoot of the latest fiasco re the "Proof of Income" letters not being issued by 4 main Embassies (a requirement by Immigration for Extension of Stay purposes) means that many thousands of pensioners living in Thailand now have to deposit their money into Thai banks rather than keep the funds in their preferred financial institutions.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's an interesting list but there is no way that list is really targeted to people expatriating for retirement. Most have no retirement visa programs whatsoever. That is what this topic is about and that is what IL focuses on specifically, albeit quite imperfectly. 

I believe that the definitions of 'quality of life' presented in the objective study I linked to are very relevant to retirees as a starting point. pick your country and then check their retirement programs.

Of interest, here is the top 10 list according to International Living with the alternative ranking (where 1 indicates best) shown alongside. Among other relevant factors, the heavy promotion of South America in the IL survey certainly points to American bias in the sampling.

1 Panama                73

2 Costa Rica            68

3 Mexico                 46

4 Ecuador                64

5 Malaysia              18

6 Colombia             94

7 Portugal               1

8 Peru                      41

9 Thailand               71

10 Spain                     3

And their criteria:

"A total of 27 factors were included in the calculation of the overall index, which were divided into 7 subject areas here. The best achievable value in each division is 100, see below the table to read which individual criteria are included in each division.

In this version, the average income and taxes of the respective country were not taken into account. The subject area "costs" consists (if available) only of the local cost of living. The weightings of the individual areas were also adjusted to a life as an emigrant or long-term expat."

I hate to break it to everyone, including the Thai government, but "International Living" is a bloody email newsletter that makes money by convincing retirees of 2 things A) That they can live abroad comfortably and cheaply (and makes money by sponsoring trips, acting as real estate advisors (while getting commissions), Selling expensive memberships, which are just emails and "country guides" (after getting you on board with a bare-bones email) and B) Selling you all kinds of "hide your assets" schemes and unusual investments. C'mon! Look at their recommendations! MEXICO!? (they've been recommending this for years, while it's one of the most corrupt and dangerous places on the planet!), Colombia!? Peru!? Malaysia!? With all of Thailands issues, including their relatively new anti-western, long stay visa policies - It is still safer, has a more advanced society and more western level healthcare than most of their other pics. Their list has to do with their ability to make money, NOT what's best for retiring. What a joke!  I used to get their free emails for years. They know how to entice those who are looking for that something that is too good to be true. They don't need a lot of suckers in order to make a ton money. I can't believe the Thai government thinks this email scheme operation is something reputable??? 

7 hours ago, thequietman said:

Not colonized,  but certainly invaded on a regular basis. The Burmese did it for a weekend away.

Any country that did invade ( Japan, France, Burma, Cambo and others) probably came up against the impossible immigration rules for spouse and retirement and decide NOT to colonise this shambles of a country. ????

Pretty much the only reason it wasn't colonised was that Great Britain and France considered it far more valuable as a buffer.

5 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Yep, Cannot find any reason to retire to Thailand other than the weather.

Colombia is starting to look pretty good in my recent research.

Thailand is about to kill the Golden Goose (or eliminate the riffraff) with its new, mercenary bank deposit amount/income policy.

The Bank deposit amount or the income policy amount isn’t new and has been the same for years.

What is new is that because no doubt many ( and I know a few) have not been complying with the system regarding the amount they are required to bring into the country, are now required to prove they are complying.

Follow the rules and you don’t have a problem.

Check out the publishers behind ' International living ' before considering their data worthy your read.

I remember them sending out newsletters and pamphlets in the 80's. I once subscribed and paid for that garb.

Na, I wouldn't bet on that publication.

Works for their benefit, and nothing else.

1 hour ago, IssanMichael said:

Wish the UK would adopt the same policy!!

So do I. Start by insisting on reciprocal treatment for home/land ownership.

No own in Thailand? OK, no own in UK. No likee? Byee. Shut the door on the way out - from the other side.

7 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I doubt International Living magazine is aware of the onerous Immigration requirements for foreign retirees. If they were Thailand would probably slip to second last.

Curious as to where you live. You have obviously checked countries out.

7 hours ago, kannot said:

yeah .  we'll  just  slip  that  in there  eh

But managed to avoid mentioning the Sex Capital of the world as a reason for a significant proportion of retirees.

And forgot to mention that while richly deserved, the happy retirees who suffer irritating:

• 90 days repetitive visits to inform Immigration that you live in the same house as you have done for the last 15 years
  • The rigmarole and complexity of renewing annual visas
  • The need to retain Baht 800,0000 or similar in order to obtsin said Visa
  • Inability to own one's home freehold
  • Lack of any foreigner rights and Double standards of pricing. 
  • forbidden to undertake any volunteer work to help improve foreigner relations with thai people

6 hours ago, dyertribe said:

for many years I have been actively looking forward to my retirement in Thailand which is pretty close now, but with recent events and the unfriendly visa requirements, I am now looking to Cambodia ...

I'm both sad about that but looking forward to exploring the new options in Cambodia.

This year will be my last trip to Thailand

Philippines?

7 hours ago, kannot said:

yeah .  we'll  just  slip  that  in there  eh

Never been colonized begs the question.....Why? The answer is obvious if one looks at a map. Why does Burma have such a long coast? Because rather than fighting to keep their land, the Thai kings gave it away. Angor Wat used to belong to Thailand. Just appease the invaders and you’ll never be occupied. No need. And yet they brag about never being colonized. What a joke.

10 minutes ago, Cactus99 said:

I hate to break it to everyone, including the Thai government, but "International Living" is a bloody email newsletter that makes money by convincing retirees of 2 things A) That they can live abroad comfortably and cheaply (and makes money by sponsoring trips, acting as real estate advisors (while getting commissions), Selling expensive memberships, which are just emails and "country guides" (after getting you on board with a bare-bones email) and B) Selling you all kinds of "hide your assets" schemes and unusual investments. C'mon! Look at their recommendations! MEXICO!? (they've been recommending this for years, while it's one of the most corrupt and dangerous places on the planet!), Colombia!? Peru!? Malaysia!? With all of Thailands issues, including their relatively new anti-western, long stay visa policies - It is still safer, has a more advanced society and more western level healthcare than most of their other pics. Their list has to do with their ability to make money, NOT what's best for retiring. What a joke!  I used to get their free emails for years. They know how to entice those who are looking for that something that is too good to be true. They don't need a lot of suckers in order to make a ton money. I can't believe the Thai government thinks this email scheme operation is something reputable??? 

Could you enlighten me as what are the recently

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

Fair enough I suppose. I dined in Thai restaurants in London twice. The food (Pad Thai and then Keneng) tasted like cardboard and I had to leave it. In Thailand, it's chock full of pesticide, weed killer and a handful of chilli peppers.

I think anyone who eats Thai food twice is a raving lunatic. My personal opinion.

What I wouldn't give for a few cold lamb and mint sauce sandwiches, but do you think you can buy decent lamb in Thailand? The only time I tried, it certainly tasted like lamb but it looked like entrails or fish bladders. Yum. Ecch

Have a look in Macro they have have decent lamb mainly imported

from New Zealand but sometimes Aus

We regularly buy the shanks and other cuts they taste good if cooked properly and look nothing like you describe.

The immigration office and services in Phuket are not worthy of the Island being included in the top ten choice for retirees. Also Khun Yuthasak should have mentioned at least a couple of things that the government has done

to make the lives of retirees a little easier. 

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Could you enlighten me as what are the recently

Have a look in Macro they have have decent lamb mainly imported

from New Zealand but sometimes Aus

We regularly buy the shanks and other cuts they taste good if cooked properly and look nothing like you describe.

I live in Isaan. Not sure if ther's a Makro, perhaps there is, thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, Chippy151 said:

When you get to retirement age, you deserve the opportunity to drink nice beer. Thailand has the worst beer in the world. 

But the food is great!

I thought that when I retired I could continue to drink NZ Sav Blanc at a realistic price as I did in Aus.

I can still drink it here but at double the price.

Unfortunately in retirement you don’t always get what you deserve.

PS I agree about the food.

Quite a fascinating topic. When I think of alternatives, I have to consider Thailand to be in the top ten. I would be spending half my year in Spain, if money was not an object. But, it has become quite expensive, and I also hear they are buying into the me too movement, which makes it less desirable. The wine, food, lack of ridiculous tariffs, and traffic safety would be a real draw though. I love Mexico, but that place, and Colombia would not be an option for me, due to the safety issues, and having to always look over my back. Panama and Costa Rica, while certainly beautiful, are boring beyond my ability to handle. They are a bit like a latino Hawaii. Very, very vanilla (Thailand is anything but vanilla, thankfully) and both are expensive. So, where does that leave?

Biggest Joke, and the TAT will say anything, to claim credit for good news, or any accomplishment. Hopefully, the entire staff at the TAT and the Biggest Joke will be put out to pasture, once the Army gets handed their walking papers, in a couple of months. One can always be optimistic, right?

7 hours ago, Cadbury said:

what onerous immigration reqirements,  been on retirement visa for 7 years, in and out in 30 minutes every year, and  the 90  day is shopping day and a big wet lunch, 10 minutes at udon thani, so easy, whats your problem NO MONEY?  just another XXXXXX  at any  thing pommie i guess

Spain has real police, good affordable wine, western culture, great clean beaches, western food, reliable people, safe roads.....  

For me it's a no brainer, Spain it is. Or Portugal/Italy...

It also has Buddhist temples and those other short term attractions none of us came for at the same or cheaper price![emoji848][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6] 

Sent from my SM-N960F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, webfact said:

as well as the great culture born of the fact that Thailand has never been colonized. 

I'm thinking the author just wanted to brag or he/she's never traveled. I've been to so many great countries that have an awesome culture due to colonization. An intermingling of the 2, as long as they're not repressive beings a lot of positives and fun to the culture.

Anyway,I'd have to say that China is pretty much colonizing Thailand, whether they want to admit it or not.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Visa requirements have not changed except for people who were lying about having a $2000 dollar a month pension.  If you actually have a pension or 25 grand in a Thai bank the requirements have not changed.  It you don't have $25k to put in the bank you don't have enough money to retire to a foreign country anyway so don't worry about it.  Health care in Cambodia is stone age so not a viable alternative to retirement to Thailand.

Exactly. It’s mainly freeloaders and Farang Kee Nok that Thai immigration is trying to get rid of. If you don’t have $25k usd to spare, you have no business retiring in any country. You need at least $1 million USD cash to even consider retiring.

i know here in Phuket, we meet regularly and we are intentionally driving up the prices everywhere to force all the freeloaders out. We want Phuket to become like Hawaii. That can’t happen until all the Farang Kee Nok are driven out to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

Farang Kee Nok bring little value to Thailand’s economy. It’s billionaires like Gulu Lalavni ( owns all the Marinas in Phuket ) and German billionaire Klaus Heben ( Owner of Thanyapura Health and Sports Resort ) that the Thais are interested in attracting and keeping here. I know that both Barack Obama and Beyoncé bought 8 villas combined at Amanpuri and Bill Gates is considering a pad at Amanpuri as well. These are the kinds of folks TAT wants. TAT wants Thailand to become exclusive.

One of my buddies that founded PayPal, Addepar, Palantir and Formation 8 is considering turning Phuket into a Silicon Valley of sorts. Basically he wants to turn Phuket into a tech utopia and begin moving seven figure software engineers to the HQ he is building near Naithon Beach.

Big things ahead for Thailand but it’s no longer a country that is going to support low status Farangs and freeloaders.

It’s not TAT that is trying to push the Farang Kee Nok our. It’s wealthy Farangs that are trying to push them out. TAT just listens to what we tell him to do.

Come on guys 800k in a bank and one year renewable extensions and mail 90 day reports is not onerous. If you are retired and can not scrape together 800,000 baht then why the hell did you retire but don’t blame Thailand. Go back to work in your home country. 

No country wants expats that can not afford to pay for eating, utilities, sleeping and health care. Why should Thailand or any country make it easy for guys that cannot afford minimal expenses of retirement?  Probably the same group of guys that scream that immigrants are ruining their countries. Yet you are an immigrant aka expat and you have to pay for your retirement and you have known this your entire life. 

Archived