Thailand named in top ten in the world for retirees - TAT says accolade is richly deserved

webfact

Exactly. It’s mainly freeloaders and Farang Kee Nok that Thai immigration is trying to get rid of. If you don’t have $25k usd to spare, you have no business retiring in any country. You need at least $1 million USD cash to even consider retiring.

i know here in Phuket, we meet regularly and we are intentionally driving up the prices everywhere to force all the freeloaders out. We want Phuket to become like Hawaii. That can’t happen until all the Farang Kee Nok are driven out to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

Farang Kee Nok bring little value to Thailand’s economy. It’s billionaires like Gulu Lalavni ( owns all the Marinas in Phuket ) and German billionaire Klaus Heben ( Owner of Thanyapura Health and Sports Resort ) that the Thais are interested in attracting and keeping here. I know that both Barack Obama and Beyoncé bought 8 villas combined at Amanpuri and Bill Gates is considering a pad at Amanpuri as well. These are the kinds of folks TAT wants. TAT wants Thailand to become exclusive.

One of my buddies that founded PayPal, Addepar, Palantir and Formation 8 is considering turning Phuket into a Silicon Valley of sorts. Basically he wants to turn Phuket into a tech utopia and begin moving seven figure software engineers to the HQ he is building near Naithon Beach.

Big things ahead for Thailand but it’s no longer a country that is going to support low status Farangs and freeloaders.

It’s not TAT that is trying to push the Farang Kee Nok our. It’s wealthy Farangs that are trying to push them out. TAT just listens to what we tell him to do.
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

The Bank deposit amount or the income policy amount isn’t new and has been the same for years.

What is new is that because no doubt many ( and I know a few) have not been complying with the system regarding the amount they are required to bring into the country, are now required to prove they are complying.

Follow the rules and you don’t have a problem.

"Follow the rules and you don’t have a problem"

Wrong! I followed the rules for years by proving my income to the Embassy by copies of Bank Statements, Rental agreements etc - all legal and above board, but my money was paid into my UK bank accounts. Now I have to put my money into a Thai bank, either 800,000 baht and leave it untouched for 3 months, or 65,000 baht a month for 12 months. (Think I'll copy and paste that, it's been said so many times!) Another moneyspinner for the Thai Government/Immigration Department - multiply the above amounts by the number of ex pat pensioners living here and you will come up with a rather large figure!

So it hasn't been the same for years - the option for years has been to have the funds either in a bank in your home country or a bank in Thailand. Now the option to have the funds in a bank of your choice has been taken away.

26 minutes ago, maprao said:

It also has Buddhist temples and those other short term attractions none of us came for at the same or cheaper price!emoji848.pngemoji6.pngemoji6.pngemoji6.pngemoji6.png 

Sent from my SM-N960F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well that cathedral in Barcelona is still something i really want to see. The Thai can't build something that impressive.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Aggravation with renewing visas and being made to constantly be reminded that you are not ever going to be made to feel really welcome, obviously points not something considered then.

Well, all the likes obviously shows all the aggravated people.

Sad.

It all seems so simple I think.  Put the money in the bank, get a bank statement, take to immigration and renew.

If you cannot, hire and agent.

It is more an aggravation I think of lack of preparation and money.

With all my travels I agree with the topic.  This is still one of the best places to retire which is why I am happy I am here and have never felt unwelcome at all.

International Living Magazine is a subscriber magazine with a monthly fee mainly targets the US market, so the stories have to be nice and colorful.

Like most of thing in live it is always in the eye of the beholder...

There assumptions are based on lifestyle rather than economic: average monthly spending of 1700 to 2500 USD, rents less than 950 USD... I guess you get the point.

If it would come to the most easy places to retire many countries on their list will lose out; there are far better countries available to fit into this category. Take this from someone has lived and worked in 13 different countries out of Europe and visit more than 80 countries in the same time.

However let Thailand enjoy the nomination, as I do love the country in which I am living now for 23 years. 

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

who order the the report, TAT???? wonder what were the basis for the ratings???

Someone may have already commented but Living Magazine is a rag for the rich and famous and trying to sell you their real estate. If they looked at Thailand it would only have been through the Elite visa.

Doe this report factor in road safety or is that in one of those 'oh by the way' categories you learn about after you've moved here, bought a car or decided to travel overland only to be told do it at your own risk....? Yes the cost of living is great but there is a trade off if you want to go for a 'ride in the countryside' on the weekends and expect to have a great spiritual journey.

1 hour ago, Cactus99 said:

I hate to break it to everyone, including the Thai government, but "International Living" is a bloody email newsletter that makes money by convincing retirees of 2 things A) That they can live abroad comfortably and cheaply (and makes money by sponsoring trips, acting as real estate advisors (while getting commissions), Selling expensive memberships, which are just emails and "country guides" (after getting you on board with a bare-bones email) and B) Selling you all kinds of "hide your assets" schemes and unusual investments. C'mon! Look at their recommendations! MEXICO!? (they've been recommending this for years, while it's one of the most corrupt and dangerous places on the planet!), Colombia!? Peru!? Malaysia!? With all of Thailands issues, including their relatively new anti-western, long stay visa policies - It is still safer, has a more advanced society and more western level healthcare than most of their other pics. Their list has to do with their ability to make money, NOT what's best for retiring. What a joke!  I used to get their free emails for years. They know how to entice those who are looking for that something that is too good to be true. They don't need a lot of suckers in order to make a ton money. I can't believe the Thai government thinks this email scheme operation is something reputable??? 

I replied before reading your post which should be moved to the top of the list. The posters here have no idea of what that mag is about.

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

But managed to avoid mentioning the Sex Capital of the world as a reason for a significant proportion of retirees.

And forgot to mention that while richly deserved, the happy retirees who suffer irritating:

• 90 days repetitive visits to inform Immigration that you live in the same house as you have done for the last 15 years
  • The rigmarole and complexity of renewing annual visas
  • The need to retain Baht 800,0000 or similar in order to obtsin said Visa
  • Inability to own one's home freehold
  • Lack of any foreigner rights and Double standards of pricing. 
  • forbidden to undertake any volunteer work to help improve foreigner relations with thai people

so please don't come, the less foreigners here the better I like it..????

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Probably the same group of guys that scream that immigrants are ruining their countries

Illegal immigrants that do not support themselves, commit ID theft and fraud. there is a very big difference

This may be true and is not a bad thing

BUT....

Let's just wait and see if Thailand is still in the top 10 next year because the current paperwork, reporting, proof of income and general hassle doesn't seem that welcoming. The fanfare is all well and good but lets just see what the figures are bias a lot of people have been planning on moving to Cambodia, Vietnam and other areas where they feel more welcomed..... time will tell

10 hours ago, thequietman said:

Not colonized,  but certainly invaded on a regular basis. The Burmese did it for a weekend away.

Any country that did invade ( Japan, France, Burma, Cambo and others) probably came up against the impossible immigration rules for spouse and retirement and decide NOT to colonise this shambles of a country. ????

I read that the reason it wasn't colonized was due to an agreement between the British and French to never share a border so Thailand was basically the buffer between Malaysia and Burma to Cambodia and Laos 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The magazine considered factors such as culture, weather and living conditions.

It's obvious that 'The Magazine' has never been to the land of smiles as most of their information seems plagiarized from some naive travel brochure. 

Firstly It's somewhat misleading to claim cultural integrity based on the fact that Thailand had never been colonized. This was largely due to king Rama V who gave away huge tracts of land (Burma, Laos, et al) to the encroaching western colonizers in exchange for continued sovereignty. 

The weather does have it's qualities but isn't a lot different than many other countries that are more expat friendly.

The living is cheap by most standards but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for":

* Most unsafe roads in the world.

* Inactive law enforcement guarantees a high crime rate and lack of safety.

* Unstable government that flip flops between corrupt democracy and corrupt military dictatorships.

* Affordable but sketchy healthcare.

* No free speech or opinions that are counter to the government.

* A history of human rights violations.

* Filthy cities, temples, beaches, and oceans.

* Lack of decent sanitation, clean water, and reliable power.

* Worst educational system in the world (IMHO).

* Difficult visa requirements and generally unfriendly policies towards foreigners.

Clearly the officials at the tourism authority wouldn't agree with my assessment but it's their job to look good and keep the faith. 

53 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I replied before reading your post which should be moved to the top of the list. The posters here have no idea of what that mag is about.

It's funny that Panama has been in the top retirement havens. If you liked what Pablo Escobar did for Columbia, you'll love the cartel ambiance of Panama City. 

It would be best to ignore this article altogether.

14 minutes ago, johnny49r said:

It's funny that Panama has been in the top retirement havens. If you liked what Pablo Escobar did for Columbia, you'll love the cartel ambiance of Panama City. 

It would be best to ignore this article altogether.

IL is especially biased towards Panama. I think they're based in Panama City. Like I said before, housing is expensive in Panama City. 

Colombia is well past Pablo Escobar.

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Come on guys 800k in a bank and one year renewable extensions and mail 90 day reports is not onerous. If you are retired and can not scrape together 800,000 baht then why the hell did you retire but don’t blame Thailand. Go back to work in your home country. 

No country wants expats that can not afford to pay for eating, utilities, sleeping and health care. Why should Thailand or any country make it easy for guys that cannot afford minimal expenses of retirement?  Probably the same group of guys that scream that immigrants are ruining their countries. Yet you are an immigrant aka expat and you have to pay for your retirement and you have known this your entire life. 

I disagree with you. Actually Thailand's system IS onerous when compared to a number of other nations in that you need to reapply every year for life and that your status is exactly the same the first year or the 30th year if you should be so lucky. In other words, no path whatsoever to permanent resident. 

Most other counties with programs offer paths to more permanency. For examples, Peru the application is ONE TIME, and you're in or you're out for life. For Colombia, it's the first time for three years, the second time for another three years, and then at five years you're eligible for permanent residence.

2 hours ago, Tony Hanscomb said:

They are talking as if they have won the top spot, far from it, they have failed and they will go down the list as they make retirees feel more and more unwelcome.

Being  number one on the list would be worth bragging about,

It's my impression that more westerners than usual are considering leaving Thailand. Reasons perhaps visa jerk arounds and a general feeling of not feeling welcome enough.

Archived