Thailand named in top ten in the world for retirees - TAT says accolade is richly deserved

webfact

Top Ten place to retire but never mention foreigners cannot own land in their own name.
Taken into context, SAE It's the same. You can own your own land in Liberia but would you live there. A wide cross section needs to be analized and of course the number one reason and the elephant in the room

Cheap sex, great go go's and a zillion beer bars but of course none of us came here for that [emoji23]

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I disagree with you. Actually Thailand's system IS onerous when compared to a number of other nations in that you need to reapply every year for life and that your status is exactly the same the first year or the 30th year if you should be so lucky. In other words, no path whatsoever to permanent resident. 

Most other counties with programs offer paths to more permanency. For examples, Peru the application is ONE TIME, and you're in or you're out for life. For Colombia, it's the first time for three years, the second time for another three years, and then at five years you're eligible for permanent residence.

So go there.  I don't understand why people continually bitch about the place and yet they stay.  With so many 'better' options out there go for it, pack up and go, I did after 20 odd happy years and no regrets.  Sure, I could bitch about all the crappy bits with the best of them and when they began to outweigh the good stuff I started packing.  It is what it is and it a'int gonna change any time soon. 

Also, it's a fair comment if you can't scrape together 20k pounds to leave on deposit I wouldn't want you living in my country either as a retiree accident waiting to happen. What will they do in an emergency? Open an internet begging account?  I guess the happy people with a couple of bob aren't sat on computers reading forums, probably out having a good time.

2 hours ago, KnowItAllSMD said:

Exactly. It’s mainly freeloaders and Farang Kee Nok that Thai immigration is trying to get rid of. If you don’t have $25k usd to spare, you have no business retiring in any country. You need at least $1 million USD cash to even consider retiring.

i know here in Phuket, we meet regularly and we are intentionally driving up the prices everywhere to force all the freeloaders out. We want Phuket to become like Hawaii. That can’t happen until all the Farang Kee Nok are driven out to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

Farang Kee Nok bring little value to Thailand’s economy. It’s billionaires like Gulu Lalavni ( owns all the Marinas in Phuket ) and German billionaire Klaus Heben ( Owner of Thanyapura Health and Sports Resort ) that the Thais are interested in attracting and keeping here. I know that both Barack Obama and Beyoncé bought 8 villas combined at Amanpuri and Bill Gates is considering a pad at Amanpuri as well. These are the kinds of folks TAT wants. TAT wants Thailand to become exclusive.

One of my buddies that founded PayPal, Addepar, Palantir and Formation 8 is considering turning Phuket into a Silicon Valley of sorts. Basically he wants to turn Phuket into a tech utopia and begin moving seven figure software engineers to the HQ he is building near Naithon Beach.

Big things ahead for Thailand but it’s no longer a country that is going to support low status Farangs and freeloaders.

It’s not TAT that is trying to push the Farang Kee Nok our. It’s wealthy Farangs that are trying to push them out. TAT just listens to what we tell him to do.

Hawaii is the CRACK capital of the USA! That's what you want, it to become like Hawaii. You must not have ever been there!! I wouldn't go there for FREE!

28 minutes ago, wvavin said:

This Living magazine probably has Thai partnership?

I get it's possible but I don't think so. I don't recall them ever selling promotional seminars on Thailand. Their primary focus is Central and South America for very good reasons. Those nations often have retirement visa programs, the cost of living is less than the USA and Canada, and their target market is people from the USA and Canada.

3 hours ago, KnowItAllSMD said:

Exactly. It’s mainly freeloaders and Farang Kee Nok that Thai immigration is trying to get rid of. If you don’t have $25k usd to spare, you have no business retiring in any country. You need at least $1 million USD cash to even consider retiring.

i know here in Phuket, we meet regularly and we are intentionally driving up the prices everywhere to force all the freeloaders out. We want Phuket to become like Hawaii. That can’t happen until all the Farang Kee Nok are driven out to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

Farang Kee Nok bring little value to Thailand’s economy. It’s billionaires like Gulu Lalavni ( owns all the Marinas in Phuket ) and German billionaire Klaus Heben ( Owner of Thanyapura Health and Sports Resort ) that the Thais are interested in attracting and keeping here. I know that both Barack Obama and Beyoncé bought 8 villas combined at Amanpuri and Bill Gates is considering a pad at Amanpuri as well. These are the kinds of folks TAT wants. TAT wants Thailand to become exclusive.

One of my buddies that founded PayPal, Addepar, Palantir and Formation 8 is considering turning Phuket into a Silicon Valley of sorts. Basically he wants to turn Phuket into a tech utopia and begin moving seven figure software engineers to the HQ he is building near Naithon Beach.

Big things ahead for Thailand but it’s no longer a country that is going to support low status Farangs and freeloaders.

It’s not TAT that is trying to push the Farang Kee Nok our. It’s wealthy Farangs that are trying to push them out. TAT just listens to what we tell him to do.

Meanwhile in the real world that the other 99.9% of us have to live in $25000 is plenty to live on in Thailand. These billionaires would not open a business if there were no plebs to profit from. Personally I first came to Thailand 20 years ago to get away from places controlled by pompous rich people. Sadly Thailand is now going down that route, making it yet another boring Spain like country. 

If you read the whole article and go to the bottom for the  Annual Global Retirement Index. It shows Thailand a stunning number 22 out of 25 for Visa and Residency requirements.

Thailand didn't make Forbes Top 10 list at all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2018/01/03/international-livings-top-10-places-to-retire-abroad-in-2018/#6582f6db6c3e

Thailand will have to become more competitive on the Visa and Residency requirements before it is really a top 10 destination.  After all if you can't get in to Thailand and live here how can you enjoy the great culture and food.  ????  Would be nicer to know how many of the countries have the cash deposit requirements and 90 day reporting requirement.  I would say not many?

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Here is the full list: Panama in first followed by Costa Rica, Mexico, Ecuador, Malaysia, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Thailand and Spain in tenth. 

It just tells me why people flock to Thailand. Malaysia is expensive and out of reach for most people retiring in Thailand. And so called neighboring countries like Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and Philippines  are not worthy of living. So what ever immigration says, just stay here and remit more money from abroad and make baht stronger. 

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

Surely it was said in jest right? please come to CW or similar immigration centers and see for yourselves...

Was lazy so did not go to CW Immigration until 10:30 AM today. Did my 90 day report and yearly extension for retirement and got paperwork (will fill out later) for residence certificate. Was out of there by 2:25 PM, would have been sooner but I lost  passport photo and  had to go downstairs and take another.

The rating by International Living has no credibility. This is a comercial company who, if you subscribe, regularly sends you articles pushing Panama as a prime destination, and the editor tries to get you to buy his products. 

https://pro.internationalliving.com/p/Panama101_2019F/E120V142/Full?a=12&o=14656&s=19430&u=2601937&l=464270&r=MC2&vid=IlyYMH&g=0&h=true

Thaivisa should do it's work before posting FAKE NEWS

8 minutes ago, edwarda909 said:

The rating by International Living has no credibility. This is a comercial company who, if you subscribe, regularly sends you articles pushing Panama as a prime destination, and the editor tries to get you to buy his products. 

https://pro.internationalliving.com/p/Panama101_2019F/E120V142/Full?a=12&o=14656&s=19430&u=2601937&l=464270&r=MC2&vid=IlyYMH&g=0&h=true

Yes they do seem to really and suspiciously over push Panama.

They are also pushing Colombia a lot in recent years especially Medellin and of course Cuenca, Ecuador.

However, I still think they publish free content that has some superficial value as far as highlighting lesser known destination ideas such as the Coffee region in Colombia and Arequipa Peru. It's fun to read the sales puff pieces and then it can also be fun to dig deeper and find the negatives. There is always negative stuff and if they're not easily apparent it's because you haven't looked hard enough yet and/or haven't visited. It can be a matter not only of attractions of a place but also picking your poison for the negatives of a place. 

15 hours ago, kannot said:

yeah .  we'll  just  slip  that  in there  eh

17 hours ago, thequietman said:

Not colonized,  but certainly invaded on a regular basis. The Burmese did it for a weekend away.

Any country that did invade ( Japan, France, Burma, Cambo and others) probably came up against the impossible immigration rules for spouse and retirement and decide NOT to colonise this shambles of a country. ????

Veni, vidi, exsilium. 

We came, we saw, we got deported. 

16 hours ago, happy chappie said:

i say the people who make up these lists are clueless and never even been to many of the places on the list.where were the real places to retire,New Zealand,Australia,parts of America,Cyprus,the list goes on.

I say they are estrogen-rich and pass themselves off as people.

13 hours ago, Antonymous said:

The International Living survey is flawed in that it is not based on subjective opinion.

If you want to see world rankings based on objective criteria for quality of life for expats (who are not earning an income in that country) then go here where Thailand is ranked at #71. The data considered and weighted includes:

Stability, rights, health, security, climate, costs and popularity

https://www.worlddata.info/quality-of-life.php?expats=1#tab

The Balkans, Macao, Morrocco/Tunisia, Bostwana, Vietnam and SriLanks ranked higher than the United States.

Belarus, Mexico, China, SArabia, Algeria, Iran, Russia Thailand and Turkey ranked higher than the United Kingdom.

10 hours ago, Cactus99 said:

I hate to break it to everyone, including the Thai government, but "International Living" is a bloody email newsletter that ...

It's pitched at losers who like to think the proverbial grass is greener...

10 hours ago, HalfLight said:

So do I. Start by insisting on reciprocal treatment for home/land ownership.

No own in Thailand? OK, no own in UK. No likee? Byee. Shut the door on the way out - from the other side.

68 million Thais make an average of $6,666/year versus 65 million Brits making $44,444/year.

OK!

50 minutes ago, mshs said:

The Balkans, Macao, Morrocco/Tunisia, Bostwana, Vietnam and SriLanks ranked higher than the United States.

Belarus, Mexico, China, SArabia, Algeria, Iran, Russia Thailand and Turkey ranked higher than the United Kingdom.

LOS 71st ????

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I disagree with you. Actually Thailand's system IS onerous when compared to a number of other nations in that you need to reapply every year for life and that your status is exactly the same the first year or the 30th year if you should be so lucky. In other words, no path whatsoever to permanent resident. 

Most other counties with programs offer paths to more permanency. For examples, Peru the application is ONE TIME, and you're in or you're out for life. For Colombia, it's the first time for three years, the second time for another three years, and then at five years you're eligible for permanent residence.

"your status is exactly the same the first year or the 30th year if you should be so lucky."

This part is exactly right and a bit disconcerting. I have renewed extension to stay on many bases while in Thailand many years, and every year is a hard reset. There is no consideration for how many years you have been resident, how large an investment you may have made (not withstanding BOI), depth of family ties, or any other factors. You given zero credit for having been a good, productive, contributing visitor as a foreigner. The focus is on strict compliance year by year. 

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Aggravation with renewing visas and being made to constantly be reminded that you are not ever going to be made to feel really welcome, obviously points not something considered then.

I am happy to renew my visa but not every 3 months reporting. Just once per year is fine with me. Always wondered if they just provided an Id card with the information stored on it instead of doing this paperwork all the time Would be a better idea. Just go in they swipe the card and presto Take about 5 minutes. Or is that too much to digest for the Thai Brain to work out? I Also wonder if Panama calls their retirees "Aliens"?

58 minutes ago, mshs said:

Wood for the trees, old chap...

Morocco 17th, Tunisia 38th, SArabia 50th, Algeria 60th, Iran 66th.

portugal for me even if it was in the UK or LOS 60-70th positions,not shocked its no 1 but when you take everything into account as the survey does its probably about right,anywhere better requires a lot of cash or will be very hot/cold/violent/too far for from most folks to relocate to.

14 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

When you get to retirement age, you deserve the opportunity to drink nice beer. Thailand has the worst beer in the world. 

But the food is great!

So treat Thai beer like the tap water here, Don't drink it

10 hours ago, johnny49r said:

It's obvious that 'The Magazine' has never been to the land of smiles as most of their information seems plagiarized from some naive travel brochure. 

Firstly It's somewhat misleading to claim cultural integrity based on the fact that Thailand had never been colonized. This was largely due to king Rama V who gave away huge tracts of land (Burma, Laos, et al) to the encroaching western colonizers in exchange for continued sovereignty. 

The weather does have it's qualities but isn't a lot different than many other countries that are more expat friendly.

The living is cheap by most standards but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for":

* Most unsafe roads in the world.

* Inactive law enforcement guarantees a high crime rate and lack of safety.

* Unstable government that flip flops between corrupt democracy and corrupt military dictatorships.

* Affordable but sketchy healthcare.

* No free speech or opinions that are counter to the government.

* A history of human rights violations.

* Filthy cities, temples, beaches, and oceans.

* Lack of decent sanitation, clean water, and reliable power.

* Worst educational system in the world (IMHO).

* Difficult visa requirements and generally unfriendly policies towards foreigners.

Clearly the officials at the tourism authority wouldn't agree with my assessment but it's their job to look good and keep the faith. 

Please feel free to return to your own country if you cant handle it here

Some of us like it here due to the fact we accept the fact Thailand is not perfect, mind you NO country is

Archived