AIS Customer, Moving To New Condo, Transferrable?

MehrK

Hi Everyone,

I'm an AIS customer for Internet/Cable/Mobile on their 50/20 mbps and 4g cell phone plan. I'm moving to a new condo next week that AIS also operates in.
What's the process of switching things over to the new condo. Will I be able to keep the same account/mobile number and everything? What's the process?

First time moving somewhere new. 

Thanks in advance!

Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to post on this form to get a little information before I contact AIS?

I do plan on contacting them about it, just like to do a little research first, to be more prepared.

4 minutes ago, MehrK said:

Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to post on this form to get a little information before I contact AIS?

I do plan on contacting them about it, just like to do a little research first, to be more prepared.

Call them on phone.  They have very good English speaking support team members.

10 hours ago, MehrK said:

No, of course there isn't, I didn't say that you couldn't do that but it doesn't make any sense to ask anonymous forum members when you could just call AIS locally for the real answer in a fraction of the time, does it?  So far it has taken you over 48 hours to get no answer at all, just opinion, when a call to AIS would have given you an accurate answer in minutes.

What "preparation" could discussing it here help with?  AIS will give you the answer from the horses mouth and they won't be open to discussion or negotiation about it just because you've asked some strangers their opinion.

I only did the same this week with AIS.

Easy to do but you will have to enter a new 12 month contract agreement to relocate your Fiber connection. There were no costs to me except an installers fee of 650 baht. I continued the same plan, just signed for another 12 months commencing from the day of installation (only took 3 days after I visited the AIS store to discuss).

Alternatively, you can pay 400 baht for each remaining month on your existing contract and return the hardware to nullify it.

You will then be free to take another offer elsewhere or use the new apartment wifi if you want ie stable, fast etc.

The phone didn't need a new plan, just simply an address update for the new apartment.

20 hours ago, QPRFC said:

I only did the same this week with AIS.

Easy to do but you will have to enter a new 12 month contract agreement to relocate your Fiber connection. There were no costs to me except an installers fee of 650 baht. I continued the same plan, just signed for another 12 months commencing from the day of installation (only took 3 days after I visited the AIS store to discuss).

Alternatively, you can pay 400 baht for each remaining month on your existing contract and return the hardware to nullify it.

You will then be free to take another offer elsewhere or use the new apartment wifi if you want ie stable, fast etc.

The phone didn't need a new plan, just simply an address update for the new apartment.

Thank you. See this is a perfect example of why posting in the forum is helpful. I called AIS and the rep told me I need to cancel my current package and I would lose my phone number and there is nothing I can do about keeping it. That I need to turn in the old equipment and just sign up for a new package at the new condo, with a whole new internet/phone number.

Now having recounts like this, I am able to sit down and discuss with AIS, when I go to the store, that I would like to do as you did, and keep the same number. 

Thank you!

On 1/13/2019 at 9:51 AM, Just Weird said:

No, of course there isn't, I didn't say that you couldn't do that but it doesn't make any sense to ask anonymous forum members when you could just call AIS locally for the real answer in a fraction of the time, does it?  So far it has taken you over 48 hours to get no answer at all, just opinion, when a call to AIS would have given you an accurate answer in minutes.

What "preparation" could discussing it here help with?  AIS will give you the answer from the horses mouth and they won't be open to discussion or negotiation about it just because you've asked some strangers their opinion.

See my last comment after QPRFC's helpful answer.

6 hours ago, MehrK said:

See my last comment after QPRFC's helpful answer.

See my first comment. 

QPRFC gave you his answer, which may prove to be correct but my point keeps flying right over your head, doesn't it?  It took 2½ days for you to get an answer that is not AIS's answer when you could have had the same answer direct from AIS before 10am last Friday, the day that you posted your question!

You do know that AIS will not change their procedures just because you tell them that someone you don't know on an anonymous forum said something different to their version?

7 hours ago, MehrK said:

Thank you. See this is a perfect example of why posting in the forum is helpful. I called AIS and the rep told me I need to cancel my current package and I would lose my phone number and there is nothing I can do about keeping it. That I need to turn in the old equipment and just sign up for a new package at the new condo, with a whole new internet/phone number.

Now having recounts like this, I am able to sit down and discuss with AIS, when I go to the store, that I would like to do as you did, and keep the same number. 

Thank you!

Many wifi routers connect to a landline telephone, as my AIS wifi does, the number of which you obviously could not keep if you moved.  Perhaps you didn't make it clear to which phone number you were referring and she had, in fact, been 100% correct and no discussion will be necessary?

Why would anyone think that they would have to change their mobile number with a change of wifi?   You don't have to change your phone number every time you connect to an independent wifi source outside your condo, do you?

It might happen that moving your existing contract does not make when looking at it from a financial standpoint.

When you sign up for AIS Fibre they say for example: "FREE! Get discount for installation fee with outdoor wiring installation amount of 4,800 Baht"

It might happen that you ask them to move your existing contract, and they tell you that you have to pay this 4800THB wiring fee, because the "promotion" to get this for free is only for new contracts.

Does of course not need to happen, but could.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:36 PM, Just Weird said:

Many wifi routers connect to a landline telephone, as my AIS wifi does, the number of which you obviously could not keep if you moved. 

What you mean is that ADSL and VDSL modems always use phone lines for their connection, just like my VDSL does. However there is no technical requirement to have a functioning voice service (and number) on the landline though one may or may not be included depending on the provider. For example, I do not have one that I am aware of, nor do I want one.
Your xDSL modem will work on any phone line that itself is connected to the correct DSLAM, and the service provider will arrange this connection. This is regardless of whether you have a dial-tone on the line.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:51 AM, Just Weird said:

AIS will give you the answer from the horses mouth and they won't be open to discussion or negotiation about it just because you've asked some strangers their opinion.

Actually Thai staff are quite likely to give you an answer from the opposite end of the horse, and frequently it is necessary to get them to call their head office who can tell them the real answer. It happens often here in banks and internet shops and other shops/offices.
And to make it all go smoothly it is always advisable to know the real answer before you start talking to the people in the branch, as they can never be relied upon to know.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

What you mean is that ADSL and VDSL modems always use phone lines for their connection...

Actually Thai staff are quite likely to give you an answer from the opposite end of the horse...

"What you mean is..."

What I mean is what I said, if a router is connected to a live phone line you cannot take that with you if you move and it is very likely that the AIS rep assumed, reasonably, that he was referring to that line.

"Actually Thai staff are quite likely to give you an answer from the opposite end of the horse..."

Actually, that is more than quite likely not to be the case, and it doesn't matter what answer some anonymous poster here gives, AIS has the final say.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"What you mean is..."

What I mean is what I said, if a router is connected to a live phone line you cannot take that with you if you move and it is very likely that the AIS rep assumed, reasonably, that he was referring to that line.

"Actually Thai staff are quite likely to give you an answer from the opposite end of the horse..."

Actually, that is more than quite likely not to be the case, and it doesn't matter what answer some anonymous poster here gives, AIS has the final say.

You dont know very much about either xDSL or Thai companies. No shortage of reports on here and elsewhere of branches of various companies giving out completely incorrect information until corrected by their own head offices. It has happened to me many times.

"Take the phone line"? Why on earth would anyone want to do that when the condo they are moving to already has one, or has fibre? Taking the landline number might be desirable assuming that the OP even has one but as I pointed out, many (most?) people with xDSL dont have a landline number at all and we have no indication that the OP has one either. He certainly did not mention having a voice line and number as part of his contract with AIS, and so I see no reason why he should have one. Either way, if he does have a landline number he clearly isnt bothered about losing it, and I see no reason why he should lose his mobile number simply because he is moving to another condo. The clue for that being in the word "mobile". Unless you know different?

18 hours ago, KittenKong said:

You dont know very much about either xDSL or Thai companies. 

"Take the phone line"? Why on earth would anyone want to do that when the condo they are moving to already has one, or has fibre? Taking the landline number might be desirable assuming that the OP even has one but as I pointed out, many (most?) people with xDSL dont have a landline number at all and we have no indication that the OP has one either. He certainly did not mention having a voice line and number as part of his contract with AIS, and so I see no reason why he should have one. Either way, if he does have a landline number he clearly isnt bothered about losing it, and I see no reason why he should lose his mobile number simply because he is moving to another condo. The clue for that being in the word "mobile". Unless you know different?

I know nothing about whatever xDSL is but then I didn't need to in order to make my comment and I certainly didn't claim to know anything about it but it seems that, even so, I may know more about it than you know about reading and comprehension!

I didn't say that anyone would want, or be able, to take their landline number when they moved but the OP sure made it sound as though the AIS rep that he spoke to thought that was what he meant. 

Neither did I suggest that he would lose his mobile number, the OP did that, so ask him why he thought that would be the case with a mobile number!

On 1/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, KittenKong said:

Actually Thai staff are quite likely to give you an answer from the opposite end of the horse, and frequently it is necessary to get them to call their head office who can tell them the real answer. It happens often here in banks and internet shops and other shops/offices.
And to make it all go smoothly it is always advisable to know the real answer before you start talking to the people in the branch, as they can never be relied upon to know.

This is the exact reason I made the post. Justweird seems to think that one AIS rep on the phone , or whomever you happen to speak with at the AIS office, is incapable of giving you the wrong information. Either way, I appreciate everyone chiming in as it all helped in some way, shape or form.

No, I do not have a landline, this is a mobile number only. And like I mentioned, the rep told me that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to keep the same mobile number when I switch condos. I find this hard to believe and will see how it pans out. You can call and ask the same question to 20 different agents, and probably get 5 or more different answers, at least lol. I just got the keys for my new place today and am in the middle of the move.

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I know nothing about whatever xDSL is but then I didn't need to in order to make my comment and I certainly didn't claim to know anything about it but it seems that, even so, I may know more about it than you know about reading and comprehension!

I didn't say that anyone would want, or be able, to take their landline number when they moved but the OP sure made it sound as though the AIS rep that he spoke to thought that was what he meant. 

Before you start commenting on landlines and landline numbers I suggest that you learn what the difference between the two is. One is movable, the other is not.

xDSL is the two variants of ADSL and VDSL. Both in common usage in Thailand though VDSL is the usual standard for new connections now.

5 minutes ago, MehrK said:

No, I do not have a landline, this is a mobile number only. And like I mentioned, the rep told me that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to keep the same mobile number when I switch condos. I find this hard to believe and will see how it pans out.

I will be interested to see also. I certainly can see no reason at all why moving should affect your mobile. Unless perhaps you move to a place where there is no signal, but even that wouldnt stop you keeping the number and using it when away from your condo.

Archived