Lawyer for a simple will

banK

One possibility is to make the will at the local amphur office, they have the forms etc., already set up and some staff familiar with the Thai laws on wills, etc.

When completed the will can be registered at that amphur office. The maker of the will can of course (normal always with wills in any country) change the will unlimited times.

This service is quite popular with Thai people.

However I would not always accept any advice given by amphur staff in regard to the content of the will and/or any aligned Thai laws on the subject.

An example, I'm aware of a case like you have mentioned. The amphur officer said that the farang must, by Thai law, give 20% of the value of his estate to his wife's mother. There is no such law, nothing even like it.

However what can cause confusion is that there are laws indicating how an estate must be split up if the deceased dies without making a will.

Bottom line; a will can be written and totally valid to split the estate any way the deceased person wants, and in this scenario the Thai laws regarding death without a will are no longer relevant or binding, not at all.

Good to get these type of things taken care of. USA if account holder passes away and notice of death submitted by Embassy or?

Account will be locked down immediately at time of notice. No one can aces etc. unless a will states so if not stated then court will 

decide who gets what. 

My father passed away and had a will but house and monies distribution wasn’t clear and was decided by a judge. 

It was was his second marriage with five children one deceased. 

Jusge decided his wife gets all monies. Children get house. Four surviving children get their share and deceased child his children he has three get 1/5th which the three divide 1/5. Decided best to 

sell home, His wife moved to another state where her brother lives and he bought her a house. 

Can you please check your PMs (private messages).

After you log-in to ThaiVisa go to the top right hand corner of your screen, you will see a small green bell and to the right a small green envelope. 

Please click on the small green envelope to see a private message that I sent you.

My wife inquired at  the amphur the said only do it for Thai people.

Phoned Kasikorn bank - they can do it after you fill in a form that they will send you.

Need this done  before Monday.

I have a Thai friend who lost her farrang husband a few years ago. He had made no provision about money in his Thai account. She had a friend who went in front the Judge and got the money released.

This man works for the Amphur and does Lawyering as an extra curricula.

He uses a standard form, fills in relevant details signed by 2 witnesses and that's it.

He charged 1000 baht.

He lives Phu Wiang - not sure if I can post details here PM me if anyone wants details.

banK

On 1/11/2019 at 8:38 PM, banK said:

Phoned Kasikorn bank - they can do it after you fill in a form that they will send you.

I have a Thai friend who lost her farrang husband a few years ago. He had made no provision about money in his Thai account. She had a friend who went in front the Judge and got the money released.

He uses a standard form, fills in relevant details signed by 2 witnesses and that's it.

He charged 1000 baht.

He lives Phu Wiang - not sure if I can post details here PM me if anyone wants details.

banK

Does it need to be on an official form. Just write down your wishes, say you are fully compus mentus and not being forced to do it. Get two people to witness that you signed it, and that they confirm your mental state etc, it should be OK.

You can do it like that in UK as well if you need to. I have. Then give or email copies to whoever you trust.

52 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Maybe no good for you and your Mrs, but it would be a good solution for Bank and his under the circumstances. Or, Bank, just tell her your PIN or log on details.

If you don't trust your wife, DON'T make a will, as you might get bumped off. This happened to a good friend of mine near Khon Kaen a few years back.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:38 PM, banK said:

He charged 1000 baht.

banK

Set up a future transfer to your Mrs account the day you go for your op. And set one up for her account to put it all back when you get back. 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Maybe no good for you and your Mrs, but it would be a good solution for Bank and his under the circumstances. Or, Bank, just tell her your PIN or log on details.

Standard procedure is for the bank to be notified of the death then all accounts are frozen... 

So if she’s quick she could get some cash.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, it is a practical solution, but, I am not privy to his circumstances and would not recommend giving any bank details to a wife. One never knows what the future might reveal, all kinds of scenarios could pan out.

For relatively small amounts in an account, (or multiple accounts, I might consider entrusting a lifelong friend with the details/card pins/online codes etc so that he/she could hand over to hear in the event of my death......

47 minutes ago, bojo said:

Yes, it is a practical solution, but, I am not privy to his circumstances and would not recommend giving any bank details to a wife. One never knows what the future might reveal, all kinds of scenarios could pan out.

For relatively small amounts in an account, (or multiple accounts, I might consider entrusting a lifelong friend with the details/card pins/online codes etc so that he/she could hand over to hear in the event of my death......

If you suspected your wife of not being honest, you could a) change PIN, b) change password, c) change wife. 

Having recently getting a will done for a German friend, I can say that it is a simple process. It would be advantageous to have a named executor (often the wife) PLUS a translation into Thai, which would be one less problem following someone's death. I paid ฿5500.- and it was done by an English guy, legally, near Buriram. PM me for details.

Archived