Improved air quality in and around Bangkok

webfact

Improved air quality in and around Bangkok

Pollution.png

Air quality in and around Bangkok today has improved considerably with only two of 20 areas classified as being polluted beyond safety level.

Air monitors found PM2.5 particulate in the roadside area of Phahonyothin road in Chatuchak district to be at 60 milligram/cubic metre and along Lat Phrao road at 51 milligram/cubic metre beyond the standard limit of 50 milligram/cubic metre, according to the Pollution Control Department.

The department attributed the improvement of air quality in and around Bangkok to rain and improved air circulation.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/improved-air-quality-in-and-around-bangkok/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-01-11

24 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

I'd love to know where the air quality has improved in Bangkok. Today is the worst I've ever seen (or not seen because of the haze). 

What are they talking about?

I can only agree, hardly can see the high-rises further down the street and downtown has completely vanished in haze. Guess it was just time for a 'feel good' headline to counter all that forced negativity.

The Air-quality in Bangkok is clearly terrible today...  no improvement whatsoever. 

Having lived in Bangkok for 20+ years this year is the worst I've known it...  I've never even considered the Air-quality in Bangkok an issue until this year. 

What has changed? Have a coal fired power station been commissioned in the area (yes, of course not)... but it would appear that something 'significant' is occurring, a series of factories etc have started up and are belching out an incredible degree of particulates. 

This can't be traffic related alone - as there is no significant change in traffic volumes to account for the awful increase in pollution. 

29 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

I'd love to know where the air quality has improved in Bangkok. Today is the worst I've ever seen (or not seen because of the haze). 

This is old and out of date news. First, the report was posted YESTERDAY on ThaiPBS, even though it was only posted this morning on ThaiVisa. And their info probably was valid as of yesterday morning, when things weren't so bad.

But starting last night and into today in BKK, the PM2.5 levels got quite bad again... as follows:

11 pm Thursday

426069332_2019-01-1100_49_00.jpg.f5ef7675c305042d858da60d52142c58.jpg

9 am Friday:

1806491074_2019-01-1110_57_46.jpg.49fc9701c869fdca949f01c2435e72c0.jpg

38 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

Maybe it improved from 200 US AQI to 194 US AQI - both unhealthy!

Air quality in city and peripherals worsens again

Pollution.jpg

One day after the air quality in and around Bangkok was declared safe, the Pollution Control Department blamed close weather and stale air for causing the air quality to worse again today.

Pollution Control Department director-general Pralong Damrongthai said today that air quality monitoring stations showed the amount of PM2.5 dust particles in 19 areas, especially those along busy roads, exceeded safety level and could pose health hazards.

The amount of PM2.5 dust particles in areas along the Lat Phra road in Wang Thong Lang district was measured this morning at  86 microgram/cubic metre; 85 mg/cm in Din Daeng and 72 mg/cm in areas along the Rama III road in Bang Kor Laem district with 13 other areas classified as unsafe with excessive particulate hovering in the air.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/air-quality-in-city-and-peripherals-worsens-again/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-01-11

2 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

If you check out the link, it is dated 10 January.

Below that link, in related articles, there is a 11 January article titled "Air quality in city and peripherals worsens again".

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

Fires are back on after new year break, covering large areas of land with fine pm 2.5 particles. 

Screenshot_20190111-060608_Samsung Internet.jpg

The air quality site show easterly winds (if any) with Bangkok exactly in the stream from Cambodia.

Could mean that the extreme fires there would contribute much?

They are following China on this one. "Hey the pollution went down". Not because they actually are doing anything about reducing pollution but because the rain took it out of the air. They do realize that when it rains that the pollution then just pollutes the land and water right?

I don't know what they were doing not long ago or if it is a consistent thing but I was out late night for some business about 2am or so riding back to Pattaya on the motorway from Bangkok and all the way from Chonburi to Pattaya there was this deep haze and overwhelming smell of pollution and what smelled toxic. I wonder if they are heavily polluting while everyone is sleeping at night and then they lower it in the morning hours before people come out and about. All I know is that it was horrible and all across the province. I feel sorry for people who are setting up houses and retiring close to this new eastern economic corridor. I have a feeling if big factories keep setting up here their golden retirement years are going to be from the golden haze of pollution in the air. 

Clear blue skies & bright sun over the new year holidays in Bangkok. As soon as the cars came back, so did the smog.

The solution, of course, is to ban private cars, except for NGV & electric, from the city. Never happen--the Election Commissioners need their Benzes!

Never in a million years ! Incapable of taking tough decisions Bangkok is a polluted choking sewer

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, KhunBENQ said:

The air quality site show easterly winds (if any) with Bangkok exactly in the stream from Cambodia.

Could mean that the extreme fires there would contribute much?

Curiously, this AirVisual map below, if accurate, seems to suggest that BKK wouldn't be getting the bulk of any blown in burning pollution from Cambodia, being a bit too far north. And that the winds, with a bit of a north to south angle, reaching BKK are coming more from upcountry areas of Thailand.

1470413146_2019-01-1312_33_50.jpg.95cdad97e9fa3fc604ddbed6a7f7b171.jpg

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand

Archived