Pattaya boosts marketing to Chinese tourists

Rimmer

Pattaya boosts marketing to Chinese tourists

image.png

Pattaya has contracted with Alipay Business Group to lure Chinese tourists back to Pattaya.

Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome welcomed Alipay executives and Pramote Chaiulan, vice president of Smart City to evaluate tourist attractions of interest to Chinese visitors.

The first event on the calendar will be the city’s Songkran celebration in April.

The number of Chinese tourists has plummeted since a July boat sinking that killed 54 mainlanders. Pattaya’s numbers were down 20 percent last year. (PCPR)

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2019-01-11

48 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

The number of Chinese tourists has plummeted since a July boat sinking that killed 54 mainlanders.

Not just the boat sinking. I was told by the owner of a large Thai tourist company the drop was more to do with big purge on zero dollar Chinese tourists and the Chinese boats and buses and souvenir shop operators. They were rounded up and their assets sold and premises closed. Nothing wrong with that but didn't these fools realise the numbers might drop; now it's panic stations.

Another reason is that many Chinese travel agents are now sending their clients to safer destinations where there is less chance of them being killed in boating/bus/car accidents or being robbed and cheated.

43 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I arrived in Pattaya with a bus loaded mostly with India people, guess no bad image

of Thailand over there. Beaches seem to have a good mix of Russian and some other

Europeans and others as well.

Geezer

Yup, a LOT of Indians at the North Bus Terminal Thursday morning, coming and going. 

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:
7 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Looks like a meeting of the sanitation committee. 

there are a lot of committees in Thailand but sanitation ain't one of them. :cheesy:

Why are they looking so glum? Must be all the Chinese tourists that went round the bend and got clean away. Enough to make all the committee feel flushed.

7 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Pattaya has contracted with Alipay Business Group to lure Chinese tourists back to Pattaya

Can they not describe it another way like maybe entice as using the word Lure kinda' conjures up visions of them getting taken advantage of or worse maybe even ripped off .. If they don't get mullered on the roads .. or boats ..

And surely the shortfall in Chinese visitors will be made up by those well known big spenders the Indians of whom Patt' does seem to have a lot of at the moment .. 

Doubling down on a mistake as far as I am concerned. Thailand should be diversifying its tourism revenues promoting Thailand in other countries particularly the West. Western tourists spend weeks to months at a time in Thailand while the Chinese trips are junkets averaging 4 days of go-go-go on package tours. Westerners tend to come for longer trips and spread their cash to numerous businesses (and ladies). Retired expats spend less daily, but much more in a yearly total. They also smooth out the high-low season and drive the construction industry through purchase or rent of properties. Put all your eggs in the Chinese tourist basket, and when they exit the doors en masse you get the panic that is now occurring.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:30 AM, Ulic said:

Retired expats spend less daily, but much more in a yearly total. They also smooth out the high-low season and drive the construction industry through purchase or rent of properties.

Well said, Ulic.  Is there nobody with a brain on any of the myriad of committees that can see our worth?

On 1/12/2019 at 12:30 AM, Ulic said:

Doubling down on a mistake as far as I am concerned. Thailand should be diversifying its tourism revenues promoting Thailand in other countries particularly the West. Western tourists spend weeks to months at a time in Thailand while the Chinese trips are junkets averaging 4 days of go-go-go on package tours. Westerners tend to come for longer trips and spread their cash to numerous businesses (and ladies). Retired expats spend less daily, but much more in a yearly total. They also smooth out the high-low season and drive the construction industry through purchase or rent of properties. Put all your eggs in the Chinese tourist basket, and when they exit the doors en masse you get the panic that is now occurring.

The biggest single reason the numbers may be down is that the Chinese who do and can travel have 'done' Thailand.

Foreign tourism is relatively new in China. Visa restrictions for Chinese visitors are being relaxed around the world over the last five years.

It would be very difficult to attract return Chinese tourists. Do it once and they move on.

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

The biggest single reason the numbers may be down is that the Chinese who do and can travel have 'done' Thailand.

Foreign tourism is relatively new in China. Visa restrictions for Chinese visitors are being relaxed around the world over the last five years.

It would be very difficult to attract return Chinese tourists. Do it once and they move on.

I would like to hope so. But with 1.3 billion of them, and Thailand being both close and easy to get to, and let's face it, Pattaya will fit in with their economic status, I am in doubt!

They seem to be easily entertained.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would like to hope so. But with 1.3 billion of them, and Thailand being both close and easy to get to, and let's face it, Pattaya will fit in with their economic status, I am in doubt!

They seem to be easily entertained.

Relax. Only 100 million of them have passports. Sleep tight. ????

Archived