Carmaker Rolls-Royce urges UK's May to avoid a hard Brexit

webfact

4 minutes ago, bomber said:

all well paid and all will receive nice pensions,perhaps this is where the tories should recoup some extra cash to pay of the nations debt,although it wont happen as JC will add to it,doomsday awaits

Not well paid, they have received derisory pay rises since the Torys came to power, for several years zero. Pensions are nowhere near as good as those in private professions. I'm glad you think that the NHS workers don't deserve the money they get, I hope you never need their services.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, guest879 said:

the people have decided. they need to get a leader to sort out a decent deal. there may be some short term pain but England can take back control from the failing EU. it is hard to decide which leader is worse, May or Merkel. Trudeau would beat them both if he was in the running.

I like and respect Merkel. She allowed her heart to overrule her head once. Forgiven.

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not well paid, they have received derisory pay rises since the Torys came to power, for several years zero. Pensions are nowhere near as good as those in private professions. I'm glad you think that the NHS workers don't deserve the money they get, I hope you never need their services.

there are no pensions as good in the private sector unless you are very lucky and there is nothing to stop a NHS worker taking a gamble on one if they so wished,but i bet less than 1% do,the NHS is still 99.9% a job for life,the private sector is anything but.

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

i agree, but let them explain, Exactly how this will hamper their exports or imports

i don't know like many others, but i hear crap coming from many people all the time who speak crap, without facts

have they stock piled materials, instead of relying on Just in time, have they organised how exports and imports can be simplified  like the existing, or do we have foreign owned companies talking bullshit again

facts, not fiction would be very nice

if i say that if we remain, it will cost every working man more than 3,00 pounds a year extra, will you remainers believe me and why not

Ok. Let's try to break the extra expenses in the way it's easy to understand. Please add and correct as I'm going to make mistakes. 

1) Import / export taxes or tariffs means that each time products are moved between UK/EU border, the governments will tax these products. Add some extra money to be paid for people or agencies who do the paperwork. Add some extra costs for the customs work as those people don't work for free at freezy harbours. 

2) Stockpiling material is mandatory if the supply chain is not working as it used to work. 

This means that the factories have to buy land, if they don't have enough. They have to build new storage facilities. They have to hire people to take care of the storage facilities and people to move stuff around.. from storage to the factories.

They also have to hire guards for the security, if the factory is not working 24/7

3) When the border bureaucracy is increased, it means that the transfer time for the lorries is going to be a lot longer than it used to be. Lorry companies must make profit or they die. Therefore the price of transportation from EU to UK and the other way around will increase. 

All of these add extra costs to the final product - the shiny new car. 

Now if these extra costs are for example 20% and the company wishes to compete with the others, it's likely that they have to decrease their prices by that 20% or simply sell a lot less cars. 

Companies do calculate the whole costs and profits of their factories. While it costs a lot to relocate a factory to another country, there is a breaking point, when it wiser to do the move now, even if it hurts quite a lot. 

2 hours ago, guest879 said:

the people have decided. they need to get a leader to sort out a decent deal. there may be some short term pain but England can take back control from the failing EU. it is hard to decide which leader is worse, May or Merkel. Trudeau would beat them both if he was in the running.

Are you still living in Disney's World? 

Wake up! 

11 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Ok. Let's try to break the extra expenses in the way it's easy to understand. Please add and correct as I'm going to make mistakes. 

1) Import / export taxes or tariffs means that each time products are moved between UK/EU border, the governments will tax these products. Add some extra money to be paid for people or agencies who do the paperwork. Add some extra costs for the customs work as those people don't work for free at freezy harbours. 

2) Stockpiling material is mandatory if the supply chain is not working as it used to work. 

This means that the factories have to buy land, if they don't have enough. They have to build new storage facilities. They have to hire people to take care of the storage facilities and people to move stuff around.. from storage to the factories.

They also have to hire guards for the security, if the factory is not working 24/7

3) When the border bureaucracy is increased, it means that the transfer time for the lorries is going to be a lot longer than it used to be. Lorry companies must make profit or they die. Therefore the price of transportation from EU to UK and the other way around will increase. 

All of these add extra costs to the final product - the shiny new car. 

Now if these extra costs are for example 20% and the company wishes to compete with the others, it's likely that they have to decrease their prices by that 20% or simply sell a lot less cars. 

Companies do calculate the whole costs and profits of their factories. While it costs a lot to relocate a factory to another country, there is a breaking point, when it wiser to do the move now, even if it hurts quite a lot. 

You're quite right in general. Rolls Royce is a special case since for marketing reasons the cachet of its tradition is important in selling the product. That said, the heart of the machine, the engine and some other parts are actually manufactured by BMW in Germany.

32 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You're quite right in general. Rolls Royce is a special case since for marketing reasons the cachet of its tradition is important in selling the product. That said, the heart of the machine, the engine and some other parts are actually manufactured by BMW in Germany.

I was talking in general when it comes to just in time businesses. There must have a reason why the companies prefer that type of way to do business and that's what I could come up with. There are probably much more other reasons to be added. 

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I was talking in general when it comes to just in time businesses. There must have a reason why the companies prefer that type of way to do business and that's what I could come up with. There are probably much more other reasons to be added. 

Yes, And it's bizarre that most Brexiters don't seem to get that. 

1 hour ago, bomber said:

there are no pensions as good in the private sector unless you are very lucky and there is nothing to stop a NHS worker taking a gamble on one if they so wished,but i bet less than 1% do,the NHS is still 99.9% a job for life,the private sector is anything but.

You obviously know very little about pension schemes. You can't join a company pension scheme if you don't work for the company. 555

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Yes, And it's bizarre that most Brexiters don't seem to get that. 

For the loudest and angriest Brexitters, who are about 5-7 % of the voters, Brexit gives a religious type of trance type of feeling. They don't want to understand nor listen, quite like the folks who believe Earth is 6000 years old. 

The rest will adapt, slowly, to the new way of thinking when talked to logically.

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

RR is more than those silly cars

they make turbine engines

propulsion systems for the marine sector

DP system for the marine sector (damned good stuff that)

this kind of piss talk from RR;

in Norway we call it " speaking for your sick mother"

RR is an infinitesimal small part of UKs future, they should just keep mum

Just now, melvinmelvin said:

reminds me of another one,

The Association of Scottish whisky producers,

maybe 3 years ago they came out with a grand statement that they were opposed to Scotland

separating from UK.

why?

because if Scotland did that the distilleries could no longer use the UK foreign service as a marketing

channel for Scottish whisky

Bah!!!!!!!!!!

RR and the distillers are so bloody full of themselves that its hard to understand.

<deleted>, the lot

this is about the future of UK not the sales of RR or and Whisky

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I believe that's the other Rolls Royce that no longer has anything to do with the auto manufacturer.

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Rolls Royce has significant PR value. When I see RR on a road, I think highest quality product, quite like Swiss watches. I also associate that feeling to UK products in general.

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Rolls Royce has significant PR value. When I see RR on a road, I think highest quality product, quite like Swiss watches. I also associate that feeling to UK products in general.

I'll take this a bit further. Whenever I see an airliner using RR engines, I feel safe. I feel safe because the engines are done by a very trusted manufacturer, who is proud to keep it's products in top shape. 

Analogue to Brexit. That is or was what UK was all about to the rest of us. Very trusted partner, who we know always did the right thing. Somebody we felt safe to be with. 

This whole Brexit mess has hugely eroded that feeling of safety and trust towards UK. That's probably why many of us Europeans have felt in the way that our trust to stabile UK has been broken or violated. It's really not a nice feeling. 

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Fair point. The U.K. Has a very high GDP (5th) and a reasonable if not huge GDP per capita (39th [Ireland is 10th BTW]). Why is the NHS broke? Schools broke? Infrastructure broke, crap pensions? Crap benefits? Tiny army? No aircraft for our carriers?

In short, where is our money going? The head of Motability? Charities? Quangos? Sports morons? Celebrities? 

In short, the U.K. Is badly damaged both mentally and physically. Embarrassing 

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

"In short, where is our money going?"  You could say that about any nation on the planet. It's all in bloated government. It takes 10 layers of bureaucrats to pave a road before the contractor can start the project.

20 minutes ago, Trouble said:

"In short, where is our money going?"  You could say that about any nation on the planet. It's all in bloated government. It takes 10 layers of bureaucrats to pave a road before the contractor can start the project.

No. All of those layers employ people, who are not rich.

Perhaps it's time to take a look at the Tax havens, the trust funds, the offshore accounts etc. etc. 

It's not really fair that few people live like kings, without really doing anything productive, while the people who actually do the work get paid very little. Is it?

6 hours ago, Trouble said:

Maybe the UK should start cutting the governmental bloat by abolishing the NHS and privatizing medical care like in the USA. That should work wonders.

12 hours ago, oilinki said:

I'll take this a bit further. Whenever I see an airliner using RR engines, I feel safe. I feel safe because the engines are done by a very trusted manufacturer, who is proud to keep it's products in top shape. 

Analogue to Brexit. That is or was what UK was all about to the rest of us. Very trusted partner, who we know always did the right thing. Somebody we felt safe to be with. 

This whole Brexit mess has hugely eroded that feeling of safety and trust towards UK. That's probably why many of us Europeans have felt in the way that our trust to stabile UK has been broken or violated. It's really not a nice feeling. 

So your trust in the UK has diminished essentially because they decided to leave your beloved EU, which is generally distrusted, with good reason, in the UK.  

13 hours ago, oilinki said:

For the loudest and angriest Brexitters, who are about 5-7 % of the voters, Brexit gives a religious type of trance type of feeling. They don't want to understand nor listen, quite like the folks who believe Earth is 6000 years old. 

The rest will adapt, slowly, to the new way of thinking when talked to logically.

Actually, what we will adapt to is living without being a member of the EU.   One thing the UK is extremely good at is accepting hard times and emerging stronger than ever. 

6 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

So your trust in the UK has diminished essentially because they decided to leave your beloved EU, which is generally distrusted, with good reason, in the UK.  

The EU is distrusted in the U.K. Largely due to disinformation from MSM. The ignorance is lamentable.

19 hours ago, tifino said:

but.... RR is foreign owned! whether by the Germans or the Chinese these days... whatever!

RR, it is as British as an MG ZS

so what is a foreign company's place? to be criticising the UK in how they operate with/out Brexit?

RR,  soon to be manufactured in  Rumania .

28 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Actually, what we will adapt to is living without being a member of the EU.   One thing the UK is extremely good at is accepting hard times and emerging stronger than ever. 

Keep calm and carry on.

The Brits who said and did that are long gone.

45 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Emerging stronger than ever? The UK has been on the decline ever since WWI

Archived