Crackdown on visa overstayers is good for tourism: Big Joke

webfact

Arrests Of Visa Scofflaws Good For Tourism: Big Joke

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

66146-696x467.jpg

Two foreigners react as Lt. Gen. Surachate Hakparn looks on Friday morning at Bangkok’s Montien Riverside Hotel.

BANGKOK — Nearly 500 foreigners were arrested this week on visa violations in the latest raid police said early Friday morning will benefit tourism.

Immigration Bureau police commander Lt. Gen. Surachate Hakparn paraded the newly arrested foreigners at 1am on Friday through the parking lot of Bangkok’s Montien Riverside hotel starting, announcing that they had netted a total of 490 foreigners overnight.

“We’ve been working through the new year,” Surachate said. “As of now, in the entire land, there are zero overstays.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2019/01/11/arrests-of-visa-scofflaws-good-for-tourism-big-joke/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-11

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“We’ve been working through the new year,” Surachate said. “As of now, in the entire land, there are zero overstays.”

Yea, right.  Big Joke has "repeatedly" said there are no more over-stayers left in Thailand....the bad guys have all been caught....but we keep seeing these reports almost weekly of more over-stayers being caught.  I'm confused...makes me feel like I'm in the Ground Hog Day movie.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

“As of now, in the entire land, there are zero overstays.”

Well he has that wrong. I know two people personally who are on overstay, who he hasn't caught up with yet. Lovely as it is to hear his ramblings, perhaps he should think before setting his mouth into gear and coming out with such stupid comments.

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

He had previously told us they would all be clear before the New Year began, though you have to take your hat off to his efficiency in rounding up the last 490, without letting any at all slip through the net. :cheesy:

Got to wonder how he will explain any more he catches in the future, without admitting todays statement was pure rot.

There is an article in the 11 Jan 19 Bangkok Post giving detailed breakout of the nationalities caught in the crackdown.   Only around 10 were from western countries. 

Over 95% were from countries like Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia....mostly working in Thailand without a visa/work permit.   

Catch, arrest and deport by all means, of course. Parade them around like this? Not a good idea. This will definitely put some tourists off or make them feel less welcome. I know, I know - people who have done nothing wrong have nothing to fear. But that’s not always how life works. How people should feel and how people really feel can often be two different things. I think they should be working along the lines of how people really feel. It’s more realistic. 

If I had seen these photo shoots when I was a newbie tourist here, I’d have felt uncomfortable by it. Maybe it’s just me, huh? 

14 minutes ago, NE1 said:

He should have said , " as far as I am aware as of now, in the entire land, there are zero overstays.”

Try looking at it another way.

As from midnight tonight visas valid until midnight tonight means the holders will be new overstayers, and the next day and so on. ????????

yeah but unfortunately as the powers that be are retards, i know of a decent  guy from japan who got deported due to a visa agent who did not do what he was paid for.

The  guy was not  poor, had a company and entrusted his work permit renewal to the agent who DID NOT do it but kept the money. Work permit 3  days overdue. Immigration "tipped  off" and came to the Co.

The end result was he closed the company,  6 Thai workers  lost their  jobs he sold  off all the equipment or gave it away and moved the whole  co to the Phillipines where he  doesnt get treated like a piece of  shit in a detention centre.

My Wife had to help him thru all this nonsense over a 2-3 week period  because "rules are  rules", the parent co in Japan will not be doing any business in Thailand again.

Through a friend of hers she  got to see him out of hours with contact at the detention centre to help him, no easy feat in itself.

Overstayers are  not all "bad guys" with no  money, the usual stupid childish talk of  immigration to appease the brainwashed masses that Thailand for the Thais is the only way.

The  good  side he has invited us to japan all expenses  paid

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

There is an article in the 11 Jan 19 Bangkok Post giving detailed breakout of the nationalities caught in the crackdown.   Only around 10 were from western countries. 

Over 95% were from countries like Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia....mostly working in Thailand without a visa/work permit.   

That and Nigeria  and African poorer  nations  but by far most  will be Burma  Cambodia etc these  folk have nothing to  lose if  caught

The whole place is stuffed.

Autocratic little generals running around with unearned fruit salad and stupid Reichswehr hats-and they just lerv them stupid Reichswehr hats.

The only  people that are effected by this incessantly useless and banal piece of stupidity is the poor Burmese,Cambodians and Laotions.

If I ever want to return to a country full of cardboard cutouts of Vietnam era goons-I will let you know.

31 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

A confusing mass of exaggerated claims with poor reasoning.

The description of this pin-up boy fits someone else we all know. There must be a surfeit of these military type showmen running the Country.

“We’ve been working through the new year,” Surachate said. “As of now, in the entire land, there are zero overstays.” ...until next week's round-up, when there will again be "zero overstayers".

I want to like this guy (kind of), but he's got to temper his all too common habit amongst senior officials of making premature proclamations. 

13 minutes ago, Katipo said:

I want to like this guy (kind of), but he's got to temper his all too common habit amongst senior officials of making premature proclamations. 

Whenever I find myself tempted to like the Big BJ...I just remind myself whose butt he kisses every...single...day. Works for me.

Prawit04.JPG

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

He should have said , " as far as I am aware as of now, in the entire land, there are zero overstays.”

I’ll get you $1000 if anyone goes to the airport right now there will be a parade of overstayers paying on the way out.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Yea, right.  Big Joke has "repeatedly" said there are no more over-stayers left in Thailand....the bad guys have all been caught....but we keep seeing these reports almost weekly of more over-stayers being caught.  I'm confused...makes me feel like I'm in the Ground Hog Day movie.

2018 overstay batch is over. This is 2019 fresh batch!

Look at the picture, they used ambulance service to catch these guys.

Archived