High pollution alert issued for Children's day this weekend

Jonathan Fairfield

High pollution alert issued for Children's day this weekend

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation

n1.jpeg

Children and their families are being urged to wear face masks while celebrating National Children's Day, as severe pollution is expected in Bangkok this weekend.

As of Friday, the surface wind speed in Bangkok was only 3 kilometres per hour. The international air quality monitoring website https://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/ reported that the PM2.5 air quality index in Bangkok peaked to 410, a significantly harmful level.

Although it will be a bit windy during this weekend, it will be insufficient to improve the air quality in Bangkok. 

People, especially children, elders, and sick persons, are urged to be very cautious when doing outdoor activities and should wear face mask at all times.

The World Health Organisation has warned that prolonged exposure to PM2.5 could lead to many respiratory diseases and increase the risk of premature death.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362060

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-11

People need to be aware that when outdoor air pollution is high, indoor levels can be as high or even higher.  They should also be aware that face masks must be at least of N95 quality and that even these masks must have a tight seal around nose and mouth - otherwise they are useless.

The military display for the youngsters on Children's Day should be OK. They will probably provide gas masks just to make it more realistic for the children when they handle the firepower of the army.

20 hours ago, DNPBC0 said:

People need to be aware that when outdoor air pollution is high, indoor levels can be as high or even higher.  They should also be aware that face masks must be at least of N95 quality and that even these masks must have a tight seal around nose and mouth - otherwise they are useless.

I wonder what the best air purifier is for indoors?

27 minutes ago, william76 said:

This is the reading I got on Wednesday morning. Farmers in Khorat are irresponsible and they know the do wrong, since they burn their fields only at night.

The human cost of this practice must be huge, but of course, no data is available. 

1547003572022.jpg

Businesses are doing the same thing in Hua Hin every night. By the stench, a lot of it is plastic waste and who knows what else. I feel for the families with young children having to breath these poisons in on a nightly basis. If I was a prospective buyer, I would think twice before investing in Hua Hin for as development increases this problem with just get worse. It's a nice area so it's indeed a shame. 

Many, many large recycle operations in my locality burn the PVC coating off the Electric cables and other types of wiring to get at the small amounts of Copper wire inside.

They do not perform this horrible exercise in their own yards, but take take the wiring outside the Village, and into a remote spot

However, just lately I have put the fear of the Almighty into them with a Camera. As soon a I see a plume of Black smoke coming from their favourite burning site, I rush there and take photos of them burning the stuff. 

I then tell them in no uncertain terms that if I see them again, I will take the photos to the Local Administration Office, who will prosecute them to the tune of 2,000 Baht.

So far, it appears to be working, and I have not received any threats of any kind from these people 

They know that what they do is wrong, and illegal, so are heeding my warning.

What makes this a really bad situation, is that the Local Administration know that the burning goes on regularly ( every day or so ) and allow the people in the Village to breath in all the Toxic fumes that are emitted from the fires, whilst choosing to do absolutely nothing about it

34 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Marvellous. Long past time the a_seholes who claim to govern the country got their collective act together and addressed this way-longstanding issue. 

Please explain to me, in words of one syllable, exactly how said a_seholes who, etc., etc., are going to meet their revenue targets, if they do as you suggest?

Archived