Getting a new USA driving license, leaving Thailand ???

BobTH

This may be a long shot but my USA driving license is long expired, maybe 5 years or so and I have been in Bangkok now for 7 years. I have a valid Thai permanent driving license and also a valid Thai International driving permit. My question is: Are either of these of any benefit when trying to acquire a new USA driving license when I move back there the first of March, 2019. My expired USA license is Tennessee, I am buying a home and moving to Alabama and will need to get a new one there. I just thought maybe I would get lucky and someone in the group had done this previously. Thanks in advance to any helpful remarks.

This is probably going to be State specific, but i would suspect that your expired US license is going to be of more use to you than your Thai lic.

When we moved back to the US, my wife had a full 5 year Thai DL, didn't mean anything to DMV. She still had to go through the written and behind the wheel tests before she could get a license.

As for the IDL, I seem to recall most States say with 30 days of residency you you must be licensed in that State...but don't quote me on that fact

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is probably going to be State specific, but i would suspect that your expired US license is going to be of more use to you than your Thai lic.

When we moved back to the US, my wife had a full 5 year Thai DL, didn't mean anything to DMV. She still had to go through the written and behind the wheel tests before she could get a license.

As for the IDL, I seem to recall most States say with 30 days of residency you you must be licensed in that State...but don't quote me on that fact

I assume that your wife at one time had a US license that expired and also that your US license was still valid. Is that correct? Thanks.

1 hour ago, BobTH said:

I assume that your wife at one time had a US license that expired and also that your US license was still valid. Is that correct? Thanks.

My wife is Thai, but she'd had a Illinois license when she was a student, but that was 20 odd years ago, long dead. I'd always maintained a US DL when I was overseas.

I'm still thinking that as a US citizen you, depending on Alabama's rule are be able to turn in that expired license and get a new one. 

A lot now rests on the True ID thing, ie that all important Gold Star on the lic. My wifes problem was that her old lic was was from way before that time, not a citizen and needed to establish greencard status, so her old IL license was just worthless

Archived