New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 20:15
pikao

Tiny leak

19 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I 2nd, 3rd the above.  The problem is that you over-torqued in the first place.  So, don't do that again!  Most threaded joints really do not need much more than finger tighten.  A bit more but not much.

Thai  fittings are absolute  junk with the worlds  sloppiest threads, even when done up tight with ptfe they often still leak in the smaller half  inch size pipe diameters, I always use the METAL (Brass) insert ones for females and ptfe AND joint compound which usually stops any leaks, but occasionally even then there  can be a  weep.

Gluing  is a total waste of  time

25 minutes ago, kannot said:

Thai  fittings are absolute  junk with the worlds  sloppiest threads, even when done up tight with ptfe they often still leak in the smaller half  inch size pipe diameters, I always use the METAL (Brass) insert ones for females and ptfe AND joint compound which usually stops any leaks, but occasionally even then there  can be a  weep.

Gluing  is a total waste of  time

I also used always the fittings with the brass inserts, but recently, without using any force, the inserts came loose from the PVC tubing..... This happened only with the female connections (always problems with females) 

Arjen.

• Haha 1

I've had problems in the past with the cheap stop-tap thingies breaking off and leaving the snapped off thread in the female in the wall 😞

Having wrestled far too many of these out of the wall I now use a brass male-female "extender", either hunt for one or just screw a male-male into a female-female. Screw this into the wall and screw the "monkey metal" tap into it. Things break off it's easy to take off the wall and replace or extract on a nice comfy bench not under the bathroom sink. If it needs to look nice use chrome-plated fittings.

Something like this.

715TAaBQqaL._SX385_.jpg

Lazada have a few different types.

If you search “Loctite” there are a variety of thread sealants ( high temp , coarse thread etc ) but most are really expensive ( 3,000/4,000 baht )
This is the cheapest:
IMG_0806.JPG

Or search “ liquid ptfe “ and I found this:

IMG_0807.JPG

NOTE : if you go this route you need a thread sealant that contains PTFE or TEFLON , ignore threadlocker as this will not work for your problem.

You also need to get the mating parts as dry as possible and leave as long as possible to set

Perhaps you have already considered this but I'll throw it out there anyway...

If access to the wall (like under a wash basin) makes things difficult, I have gone through from the opposite side to open things up.  In my case, the AAC block was easy to remove after getting through the render and, after fixing the problem, it patched back up just fine.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

If access to the wall (like under a wash basin) makes things difficult, I have gone through from the opposite side to open things up. 

Will be phase 2

On 1/12/2019 at 4:00 PM, Arjen said:

I also used always the fittings with the brass inserts, but recently, without using any force, the inserts came loose from the PVC tubing..... This happened only with the female connections (always problems with females) 

Arjen.

"quality" and  fittings  in Thailand dont really go together

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Lazada have a few different types.

If you search “Loctite” there are a variety of thread sealants ( high temp , coarse thread etc ) but most are really expensive ( 3,000/4,000 baht )
This is the cheapest:
IMG_0806.JPG

Or search “ liquid ptfe “ and I found this:

IMG_0807.JPG

NOTE : if you go this route you need a thread sealant that contains PTFE or TEFLON , ignore threadlocker as this will not work for your problem.

You also need to get the mating parts as dry as possible and leave as long as possible to set

I use  this in the tins its a  green sticky stuff, works  99% of the time permaflex   not sure if  thats the same as the one in your  tube  shown https://shopee.co.th/PERMATEX-น้ำยาทาเกลียวท่อ-PIPE-JOINT-COMPOUND-ขนาด-118ml-และ-473ml-i.34596850.1476877274/similar?from=ads&gclid=CjwKCAiA4OvhBRAjEiwAU2FoJWmnPI2zXqPnTUJU2vYuC4xGoWdiwx6sn2UJxVjlVGCFaPj5JUTZOhoCVoEQAvD_BwE

pt.jpg

Edited by kannot

On 1/12/2019 at 4:16 PM, Crossy said:

I've had problems in the past with the cheap stop-tap thingies breaking off and leaving the snapped off thread in the female in the wall 😞

Having wrestled far too many of these out of the wall I now use a brass male-female "extender", either hunt for one or just screw a male-male into a female-female. Screw this into the wall and screw the "monkey metal" tap into it. Things break off it's easy to take off the wall and replace or extract on a nice comfy bench not under the bathroom sink. If it needs to look nice use chrome-plated fittings.

Something like this.

715TAaBQqaL._SX385_.jpg

you seem to be doing an awful lot of "screwing"  Crossy😱

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2019 at 7:29 AM, kannot said:

"quality" and  fittings  in Thailand dont really go together

Too true for the PVC and cheap taps, but that's why we have got all PP-R and the much better, double the price, taps and quality fittings in our new house. The higher pressure lines are now all braided SS, we did have one of the light weight shower hoses burst so they got changed.

The biggest difficulty is that the cheap flimsy fittings are everywhere but you have to look hard for the quality ones.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:37 PM, Crossy said:

Assuming theres some good PVC thread poking out of the wall, try this:-

• Get an iron (not PVC) female - female and an iron male - male fitting (or better a stop tap) fitting of the correct size.
  • Apply LOTS of PTFE tape to the PVC coming out of the wall.
  • Put the female fitting on.
  • The thread is much longer than the flexy nut and should seal nicely on the remaining good PVC.
  • Screw the stop-tap into the other end of the fitting (use enough PTFE).
  • Re-fit the flexy (check the rubber washer).

Job done.

I assume that PTFE is Teflon tape. This is an absolute must on threaded joints.

Ok. Just answered my own question by a net search. Yes, PTFE/Teflon tape, same thing.

I am surprised how many responses before the use of PTFE was mentioned. Way to go Crossy.

Boonthavorn is a safe bet for fixtures and fittings.  The "Home" places still have a mixture of quality - mostly crap - and it's not always obvious.

• Like 1