How is buying a condo a good investment?

22 minutes ago, puukao said:

the headaches alone should be reason never to buy here.  i'm sure there are 100 headaches that were not in your mind before you bought a condo.  if you rent and there are crazy neighbors or dogs or smoke or something just wrong (maybe the smell of trash blows into your condo every sunday and tuesday) ....  it's easy to just get move to another hotel or rent somewhere else.  

sounds bad, but home really is your home country.  that's where you buy, if you ever do buy.  

be smart about your money or it will be gone.  

so you home town does not have crazy neighbors, nor crazy dogs and nobody smokes there.... tell me where it is I move there tomorrow

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Most people buying a condo worth only 1 million baht don't take out loans.   I wish I had bought my place 7 years ago when it was 1.5 million baht, now units like mine are going for 2.2 million.   

Or you could just put the 1.5 million into broad US ETF and would have 2.6M today. Liquid, with no maintenance fees.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Lumpini 24, Capital Residences to name a couple

To me these condos look like your typical Thai condos built in the last 5 years; even the larger units have placed the washing in the kitchen (space compromise) and no dishwasher, oven, etc. (limited budget)

But you are right about the price, several rent out for exactly 1,000 baht per sq. m., but that just goes to show that for 800-1,000 baht per sq. m. you’re not able to rent the “very top end” condos.

3 minutes ago, lkn said:

To me these condos look like your typical Thai condos built in the last 5 years; even the larger units have placed the washing in the kitchen (space compromise) and no dishwasher, oven, etc. (limited budget)

But you are right about the price, several rent out for exactly 1,000 baht per sq. m., but that just goes to show that for 800-1,000 baht per sq. m. you’re not able to rent the “very top end” condos.

They are not my cup of tea either, but demand and supply. They are top end in the rental market, but not in terms of luxury and quality in my opinion.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

They are not my cup of tea either, but demand and supply. They are top end in the rental market, but not in terms of luxury and quality in my opinion.

Relatively to the rental market, you are probably right.

I think if you want a real luxury condo, you have to buy or pay absolutely absurd prices. That is one of the reasons I ended up buying, just couldn’t find anything half decent on the rental market for less than 6 digits per month.

So to dip my toe back into this thread, and again it's only my experience of one market, Bangkok.

To be honest, all condos are much of a muchness, generally shoddy construction and a mixed bag of common area maintenance.

You can quote rental cost, purchase price until the cows come home, but it's so dependant on the location it's almost irrelevant.

To use BKK, which is my frame of reference, the closer you are to either Skytrain or MRT is the primary driver in how much it costs, and importantly how well the resale equity will hold up. 

There are great condos in BKK, but you will sweat your ass off getting to the nearest mass transit hub which with the continual build in the outlying areas will depress both the rent and the equity. Now if you want to drive in Bangkok, well you're just an idiot!

Archived