WOUND HEALING

edwarda909

I was told a few years ago that America lost more soldiers during the VietNam war from infections than battle. 10 days ago i had a eeemingly suericial burn to my leg.  Despite adequate care, including regular cleaning with alcohol, betadine and antibiotic ointment, no progress.  Any suggestions or similar experieces would be appreciated.

The older you get the longer things take to heal, far longer in many cases. I've had a similar experience to you recently where it seemed to take forever for a relatively minor wound to completely heal.

Are you diabetic because that slows things down even more.

Yet another one that tries to "heal" the burn with alcohol/antiseptics but wonders why it takes so long to recover. Alcohol does not heal. It disinfects and based on the type of burn does more damage than good especially for people that don't know how to use it. You probably irritated the skin even more.  Also if you think damaged/burned tissue is recovered in 10 days ... hahaha. 

Tip for next time: Use a natural Calendula Cream for superficial burns next time and sterile bandages.

Your regimen appears to be heavily focused on preventing infection; however, its possible your approach is actually slowing the healing process. 

What degree burns did you suffer and over how large of an area of your leg?

You do not mention if you have received actual medical care.

I would agree with the poster who suggests ceasing the alcohol treatment and continuing with clean gauze. Without knowing the current condition of the wound, its difficult to suggest but you may wish to use a plaster specifically for burns that is designed to not stick and peel away new skin every time you remove it. 

You also fail to mention how frequently you are cleansing the wound site.

Can you start washing the wound site gently with a warm soap and water with a product like Hibiclens (or its Thai/ European equivelant) and stop with the alcohol and maybe slow down a little with the anti-biotic ointment. This ointment should only be a very thin topical coating since you want air to reach the wound. I would also expose the site uncovered to direct sunlight for several minutes each day while the dressing is removed and most convenient after cleansing.

I don't understand why you would not be receiving proper professional care when it is so inexpensive and is your best practice to prevent infection. Chances are they will prescribe you an antibiotic, whether you choose to start is your own business but atleast you can watch how they properly dress the wound.

As others have said,

1. Your self treatment regimen was incorrect

2. you need to see a doctor

I would add, if you have not had a recent health check up should check for diabetes (fasting blood sugar or Hb1Ac) as diabetes will slow would healing.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As others have said,

1. Your self treatment regimen was incorrect

2. you need to see a doctor

I would add, if you have not had a recent health check up should check for diabetes (fasting blood sugar or Hb1Ac) as diabetes will slow would healing.

I go for an FBS and INR check every month and a Hb1Ac check every 3 months at a private hospital.

FBS and INR cost a total of 800 baht a month and the results are ready in about an hour while the Hb1Ac check costs around 1,000 baht and the tests have to be sent away but the results are back in a week.

Archived