O-A Visa From Thai Embassy Washington DC - Report Jan 2019

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

I have seen references to a "Enter Before" date.  The was not on my ME visa, when does it come into play?

An "enter before" date is on every visa. It is the last date the visa can be used to enter the country.

Your new non 'O-A' is valid for unlimited entries from the date the visa is issued until on or before the 'enter before' date.

Whenever you enter during that year you will be given permission to stay for 1 year. So even if you entered on the 'enter before' (the visas expiry) date you would be given a 1 year stay.

• Like 2

Op, thanks for the thread.  You did good!! 

I have a thread going where I am moving to Thailand next month and I am working on my OA visa through Los Angeles.  Almost done and should be able to get the visa next week.  Fingers crossed.  

Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, George36 said:

Op, thanks for the thread.  You did good!! 

I have a thread going where I am moving to Thailand next month and I am working on my OA visa through Los Angeles.  Almost done and should be able to get the visa next week.  Fingers crossed.  

Thanks again.

If you live in or near LA, it would be good to hand deliver it.  Saves time and uncertainty.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

It looks like a different style of visa to those generally issued.

The ‘valid until’ is the equivalent of ‘enter before’.

The visa stickers have been stating valid until instead of enter before for some time now.

I think it was back in late 2017 when they started appearing on the forum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

..... Bank statement details:  I had both the $ amount of 800,000 baht .....

Does the amount of money need to stay in the same bank account for a certain period of time before making the visa application? 

4 hours ago, post said:

Does the amount of money need to stay in the same bank account for a certain period of time before making the visa application? 

If you are referring to the Thai Embassy in Washington DC, the answer is no I don't think so.  Again, since I provided both monthly income and current bank balances, it is hard for me to say.  My total bank balances that I provided were simply a list of my 3 accounts and the current amount in them on a signed letter from my bank but the Embassy may or may not have disregarded that in favor of the monthly deposit amounts. Just no way for me to know.  The Embassy documentation does not mention seasoned balances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I read they ask for passport with 18 months left it made me think about the second year, ie, leave and enter a day or so before the unter by/ valid until date you should get a one year permission to stay, making 2 years total.

If your passport only has 6 months left I'm not sure you would get the year permission, 6 months max?

37 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If your passport only has 6 months left I'm not sure you would get the year permission, 6 months max?

It would be a year. The 18 months is not specific for a OA visa. It applies to all multiple entry non immigrant visas if enforced.

" The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application."  See 2.1 here for non immigrant visas.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It would be a year. The 18 months is not specific for a OA visa. It applies to all multiple entry non immigrant visas if enforced.

" The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application."  See 2.1 here for non immigrant visas.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

The point is that 'if' the passport has 6 months left after the end of the first year, doing out/in every so often or 90 day reports and the holder hasn't re-newed the passport then I don't see Imm' stamping a year permission in a passport that has only 6 months left.

Some do forget and leave it til the last minute.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

he point is that 'if' the passport has 6 months left after the end of the first year, doing out/in every so often or 90 day reports and the holder hasn't re-newed the passport then I don't see Imm' stamping a year permission in a passport that has only 6 months left.

I have never heard of that being enforced and I don't I think there is any rule stating it.

For example immigration will grant a new one year extension of stay if you have at least 12 months remaining your passport. Then a person gets a re-entry permit and enters the country with it and gets granted a 9 month entry when their passport has 9 months left.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have never heard of that being enforced and I don't I think there is any rule stating it.

For example immigration will grant a new one year extension of stay if you have at least 12 months remaining your passport. Then a person gets a re-entry permit and enters the country with it and gets granted a 9 month entry when their passport has 9 months left.

So with 6 months left they will only get 6 months ( 6 lost ) and won't get it back even with a new passport in those 6 months as the original 12 month visa has expired.

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So with 6 months left they will only get 6 months ( 6 lost ) and won't get it back even with a new passport in those 6 months as the original 12 month visa has expired.

They would get whatever the visa or re-entry permit allowed. It is then up to a person to get a new passport before the their permit to stay ends or leave the country.

In my example I wrote a 9 month entry with 9 months remaining on their passport it they had exactly 12 remaining when the extension was granted.

17 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Medical certificate  (I was able to get my primary care doctor to order a couple of the tests and he then signed the certificate.  My insurance paid for it)

I get my O - A visa every year back in the States also.

I noticed that they want the medical certificate notarized, which is kind of ridiculous but my doctor complies and takes the form to a notary to have the form notarized for me.

I think that they would not be so strict about this requirement as long as it is signed by a licensed physician but my doctor is a friend of mine so he takes the form to a notary just to be sure that I don't have a problem.

Did your doctor take this medical form to a notary to have it notarized or did he just fill it out, sign it, and give it back to you?   

15 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I thought the the "valid until" was equivalent of "get the hell out date".

Your stay in Thailand is based on the permission to stay given by immigrations when you enter the country. In the case of an O-A visa if you enter the country just before the visa expires you'll still be given a permission to stay for one year. Once the visa expires it can't be used to enter the country, but you can remain in Thailand for the year until the permission to stay expires.

Another case of someone failing to understand the difference between a visa and permission to stay in the Thai context.

Even though your original O-A visa is multiple entry, if you get the one year extension you need to obtain a re-entry permit if you plan to leave Thailand and return during the extension period.  I didn't know that and was unpleasantly surprised when I returned and found my visa had expired since I left without getting a re-entry permit.

8 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I have obtained six non imm o-a multi entry visas over the past six years through the LA Thai Consulate via the mail. I follow their requirements as spelled out in their website and have never had a problem. They are good people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only went through the Thai Consulate LA once, and I don't recall any extra or a more difficult process as the OP said.

Walked in one day, returned the following morning and received my passport with OA visa.  I think they can do it one day now if you hand carry, not sure how long it takes if you mail it.

All good except I hate the part of having to show a flight itinerary which implies you bought and paid for the flight before actually having a visa for the travel.  If paperwork gets delayed or rejected or more stuff is needed, one is stuck with a flight and without the long term visa one wanted

8 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Forgive me being a dim-bulb but are there advantages or disadvantages to an O-A visa issued overseas versus a retirement extension obtained here?

For a 2 year stay, the former requires no extension at TI here whereas the latter requires 2 extensions.

Edited by farangx

Forgive me being a dim-bulb but are there advantages or disadvantages to an O-A visa issued overseas versus a retirement extension obtained here?

You can meet the financial requirements via funds in your home country financial institution vs moving the money to a Thai bank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk