O-A Visa From Thai Embassy Washington DC - Report Jan 2019

21 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Forgive me being a dim-bulb but are there advantages or disadvantages to an O-A visa issued overseas versus a retirement extension obtained here?

Other than keeping your money at home you also don't ever need to deal with immigration for extensions in Thailand.

Edited out, misread post.

Edited by jacko45k
Misread post
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Disadvantage is doing border runs every 90 days. Okay the first few trips but it gets tired quickly.

Completely wrong info for a OA long stay visa that allows unlimited one year entries for year from the date it is issued. Then 90 day reports to immigration.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:34 AM, SpokaneAl said:

I have obtained six non imm o-a multi entry visas over the past six years through the LA Thai Consulate via the mail. I follow their requirements as spelled out in their website and have never had a problem. They are good people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check my figures.  Roughly 10,000 baht per visa.  7,000 baht application fee and 3,000 baht for doctors and mailing and such.  So 6 years would have cost you 60,000 as opposed to 1,900 three times for 6 years or 5,700 vs 60,000 because you don't want to spend an hour every other year crossing a border and walking back in?  That's 54,000 baht or 162,000 baht per hour is what it costs you not to cross a border.  Wow. 

Check my figures.  Roughly 10,000 baht per visa.  7,000 baht application fee and 3,000 baht for doctors and mailing and such.  So 6 years would have cost you 60,000 as opposed to 1,900 three times for 6 years or 5,700 vs 60,000 because you don't want to spend an hour every other year crossing a border and walking back in?  That's 54,000 baht or 162,000 baht per hour is what it costs you not to cross a border.  Wow. 

While this post is not about me, it is worth pointing out that your numbers are off. I pay nothing for notary and doctor visits. One hour for a border run? That assumes I live close to a border. Also, I have fairly specific time periods that I wish to travel, and do not wish to apply for the visa at the last possible date and also be forced to depart earlier than I wish I. Order to meet a enter before date. Of course I also travel business class because I like the leg room. As I move towards my 70s I think I deserve to travel on my time schedule, rather than save a few dollars/baht here and there. Peace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

While this post is not about me, it is worth pointing out that your numbers are off. I pay nothing for notary and doctor visits. One hour for a border run? That assumes I live close to a border. Also, I have fairly specific time periods that I wish to travel, and do not wish to apply for the visa at the last possible date and also be forced to depart earlier than I wish I. Order to meet a enter before date. Of course I also travel business class because I like the leg room. As I move towards my 70s I think I deserve to travel on my time schedule, rather than save a few dollars/baht here and there. Peace.

How much does a visa cost you for the Consulate and doctors and police report and mailing and how much time?  Since you are comparing the two methods it's only fair that a financial and time comparison be made.  Was my figure of 54,000 baht more to do it "your way" too cheap? 

22 hours ago, TBKK said:

I get my O - A visa every year back in the States also.

I noticed that they want the medical certificate notarized, which is kind of ridiculous but my doctor complies and takes the form to a notary to have the form notarized for me.

I think that they would not be so strict about this requirement as long as it is signed by a licensed physician but my doctor is a friend of mine so he takes the form to a notary just to be sure that I don't have a problem.

Did your doctor take this medical form to a notary to have it notarized or did he just fill it out, sign it, and give it back to you?   

The DC Thai embassy consulate doesn't require notarization on their required documents for an O-A visa. One of the more enlightened consulates

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

All good except I hate the part of having to show a flight itinerary which implies you bought and paid for the flight before actually having a visa for the travel.  If paperwork gets delayed or rejected or more stuff is needed, one is stuck with a flight and without the long term visa one wanted

Hey, these guys are doing you a favor, as they don't want you to go through all the expense and bother of getting an O-A visa -- if you don't really have the intent and/or assets to travel to Thailand.????

17 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Your figures make no sense. What are you trying to compare; OA visa vs. retirement extension, or annual new OA visa vs. semi-annual OA visa with a border run and re-entry permit?

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

On 1/12/2019 at 6:29 AM, TBKK said:

I get my O - A visa every year back in the States also.

I noticed that they want the medical certificate notarized, which is kind of ridiculous but my doctor complies and takes the form to a notary to have the form notarized for me.

I think that they would not be so strict about this requirement as long as it is signed by a licensed physician but my doctor is a friend of mine so he takes the form to a notary just to be sure that I don't have a problem.

Did your doctor take this medical form to a notary to have it notarized or did he just fill it out, sign it, and give it back to you?   

The Embassy does not require it to be notarized.  The consulates may.  No idea why the consulates do not use the same rules as the Embassy.

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

No idea where you got those numbers.  It cost me $200 for the visa plus postage.  The medical certificate was covered by my US insurance.  The only expense is travel but if someone is going home for a few weeks anyway there would not be any travel expense.  And just how are you getting 2 year extensions?

On 1/14/2019 at 12:16 PM, AAArdvark said:

No idea where you got those numbers.  It cost me $200 for the visa plus postage.  The medical certificate was covered by my US insurance.  The only expense is travel but if someone is going home for a few weeks anyway there would not be any travel expense.  And just how are you getting 2 year extensions?

$200 is about 7000 baht and the fees for the other information and doctors and time and travel and so on.  Then exit the country once and you have a 2 year visa.  If I was going to Russia borscht would be cheap but that's not comparing apples to apples.  It costs 1900 baht to do a retirement extension and thousands of dollars to do a new visa.  Even if you go home it makes no economic sense.  

I don't care if people want to throw away money but that's what they are doing. 

When you get to Thailand for the first time on your visa I'm sure you will figure it out. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

$200 is about 7000 baht and the fees for the other information and doctors and time and travel and so on.  Then exit the country once and you have a 2 year visa.  If I was going to Russia borscht would be cheap but that's not comparing apples to apples.  It costs 1900 baht to do a retirement extension and thousands of dollars to do a new visa.  Even if you go home it makes no economic sense.  

I don't care if people want to throw away money but that's what they are doing. 

I paid no other fees except postage and if someone lived near the embassy or a consulate even that would go away.  I agree that the travel would be expensive BUT if you go home anyway for other reasons that expense goes away also,  So in that case we are down to 7000 for ~two years or 1900 times 2.   There would be a small savings but no money would be required in a Thai bank.  Only in the case of traveling anyway or the inability to have money in a Thai bank would it make economic sense.

7 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I paid no other fees except postage and if someone lived near the embassy or a consulate even that would go away.  I agree that the travel would be expensive BUT if you go home anyway for other reasons that expense goes away also,  So in that case we are down to 7000 for ~two years or 1900 times 2.   There would be a small savings but no money would be required in a Thai bank.  Only in the case of traveling anyway or the inability to have money in a Thai bank would it make economic sense.

If you are going to live in Thailand for a year you need 20 grand in a Thai bank for emergencies.  An extension takes a few minutes, 1900 baht and none of the reports medical and police that you need for a visa.  You are already in Thailand it costs nothing to go to immigration.  I realize all of this is new to you but regardless of what you have read here doing an extension is quick and easy.  You don't need an agent or anyone with you who speaks Thai (especially a woman). Thai banks are very dependable and your little bit of cash is secured.  Sending passports in the mail is never a good idea and the hassle of police checks and trips to the doctor and an embassy as opposed to 10 minutes in an Immigration office seems obvious. 

On 1/12/2019 at 4:34 AM, SpokaneAl said:

I have obtained six non imm o-a multi entry visas over the past six years through the LA Thai Consulate via the mail. I follow their requirements as spelled out in their website and have never had a problem. They are good people.

Timed properly, you could have done these past 6 years with 3 non imm o-a multi entry visas and not 6.

Timed properly, you could have done these past 6 years with 3 non imm o-a multi entry visas and not 6.

Absolutely. However we wish to travel on our own schedule, departing and arriving on a timeframe that works best for us. I do not desire to be beholden to enter prior to/arrive before dates, understand that I may be paying a tad more, and, as we go forward splitting our time between the US and Thailand, will continue with a visa process that works great for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpokaneAl said:

Absolutely. However we wish to travel on our own schedule, departing and arriving on a timeframe that works best for us. I do not desire to be beholden to enter prior to/arrive before dates, understand that I may be paying a tad more, and, as we go forward splitting our time between the US and Thailand, will continue with a visa process that works great for us.

You can always get a re-entry permit on your last visit out at the airport, about 30 bucks. 

You can always get a re-entry permit on your last visit out at the airport, about 30 bucks.   

Yes, but I think you are missing my point. Even with the purchase of a re-entry permit, we would still be locked into returning to Thailand prior to the enter before date/enter prior to date on the original non imm o-a visa. That does not work for us.

3 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Yes, but I think you are missing my point. No matter what, we would be locked into returning to Thailand prior to the enter before date/enter prior to date on the original non imm o-a visa. That does not work for us.

In that case no visa is going to work for you since they all have validity periods.  Visa exempt makes more sense and costs nothing.

9 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Yes, but I think you are missing my point. Even with the purchase of a re-entry permit, we would still be locked into returning to Thailand prior to the enter before date/enter prior to date on the original non imm o-a visa. That does not work for us.

Don't you have at least a year?  Buy the original and exit and come back in and then you are good for a year.  Or just get an extension at the end of the first year and then still good for a year.  Right?

Edited by marcusarelus

12 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

If what you are doing now works, no need to change anything.  A new Non-OA Visa every year will work.

But, a re-entry permit does not relate to the "enter before" date on the visa - only to the "permitted stay" stamp-date currently one one's passport when they apply for the re-entry permit.  One's "permitted stay" can be further in the future than their visa's "enter before" date - up to a year further in the future, in the case of a Non-OA Visa.

What he was suggesting is, you could do an "out/in" border-bounce prior to your longer trip out.  That run would get you a fresh 1-year "permitted-stay" from your Non-OA Visa.  Then, you would get a re-entry permit, which keeps that "permitted stay" alive, past the time where the Visa is still valid (after the "enter before" date has passed).  If you will be traveling out often during the 2nd year, a multiple re-entry permit is 3800 Baht, vs the 1000 Baht for a single-use re-entry permit.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

In that case no visa is going to work for you since they all have validity periods.  Visa exempt makes more sense and costs nothing.

We stay for six months each year and our non imm o-a visa process works perfect for us, and has for the past six years.

I don’t see how a visa exempt would get us six months in Thailand each year. What am I missing?

9 minutes ago, farangx said:

The OA visa has been working for him for 6 years as he posted earlier. He gets a new visa every year while he is in US.

His stays in the country is much longer than a visa exempt entry would allow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

We stay for six months each year and our non imm o-a visa process works perfect for us, and has for the past six years.

I don’t see how a visa exempt would get us six months in Thailand each year. What am I missing?

OA visa. Make a border run before you leave and then you have a year to come back. 

Edited by marcusarelus

If what you are doing now works, no need to change anything.  A new Non-OA Visa every year will work.

But, a re-entry permit does not relate to the "enter before" date on the visa - only to the "permitted stay" stamp-date currently one one's passport when they apply for the re-entry permit.  One's "permitted stay" can be further in the future than their visa's "enter before" date - up to a year further in the future, in the case of a Non-OA Visa.

What he was suggesting, is you could do an "out/in" border-bounce prior to your longer trip out.  That run would get you a fresh 1-year "permitted-stay" from your Non-OA Visa.  Then, you would get a re-entry permit, which keeps that "permitted stay" alive, past the time where the Visa is still valid (after the "enter before" date has passed).  If you will be traveling out often during the 2nd year, a multiple re-entry permit is 3800 Baht, vs the 1000 Baht for a single-use re-entry permit.

That is true, but we could have problems on one end or the other. Getting a re-entry permit could cause us to be limited on our return six month period, unless we did a border bounce at the last possible minute before we depart Thailand, or else we would need to depart from Thailand earlier the following year.

Again, the non imm o-a every year gives us maximum flexibility on when return and when we depart to/from Thailand. I like and appreciate that and if it costs a bit more over the long run, I am good with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The OA visa has been working for him for 6 years as he posted earlier. He gets a new visa every year while he is in US.

His stays in the country is much longer than visa exempt entry would allow.

I got what he is saying, but even OAs are bounded by dates just like re-entry permit.  But that 30 bucks at the airport lets him come back after that OA expired to stay for 6 months, possibly more without a visit to the embassy.

I got what he is saying, but even OAs are bounded by dates just like re-entry permit.  But that 30 bucks at the airport lets him come back after that OA expired to stay for 6 months, possibly more without a visit to the embassy.     

Okay, please correct me if I am wrong.  Here is my situation. I got a new non imm o-a in September 2018, and as a result have an enter before date of September 2019. We arrived in Thailand in early November 2018 and will stay until mid April 2019. We did leave the country and return at the end of December so have a new admitted to date of December 2019. My understanding is that a reentry permit would do nothing to change my required return date of September 2019 to get that additional year that I would need for my late 2019 return and April 2020 departure.

Is that not correct?

16 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Visas come with dates, re-entry permits also come with dates. Either way you are still locked in.  A visa exempt you don't have to apply for it, not saying you can use that for a 6 month continuous stay here.

38 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Okay, please correct me if I am wrong.  Here is my situation. I got a new non imm o-a in September 2018, and as a result have an enter before date of September 2019. We arrived in Thailand in early November 2018 and will stay until mid April 2019. We did leave the country and return at the end of December so have a new admitted to date of December 2019. My understanding is that a reentry permit would do nothing to change my required return date of September 2019 to get that additional year that I would need for my late 2019 return and April 2020 departure.

Is that not correct?

With each reentry, your admitted until date gives you extra months beyond your visa expiry date. For 30 bucks at the airport, you can keep these extra months.  So if your last entry on that visa is during the expiry month, you get almost an extra year.

Edited by farangx

31 minutes ago, farangx said:
43 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Is that not correct?

With each reentry, your admitted until date gives you extra months beyond your visa expiry date. For 30 bucks at the airport, you can keep these extra months.  So if your last entry on that visa is during the expiry month, you get almost an extra year.

During this extra year, you can do another 6 month stay here before you need to visit the embassy again.