BANGKOK
AAArdvark

O-A Visa From Thai Embassy Washington DC - Report Jan 2019

Timed properly, you could have done these past 6 years with 3 non imm o-a multi entry visas and not 6.

Absolutely. However we wish to travel on our own schedule, departing and arriving on a timeframe that works best for us. I do not desire to be beholden to enter prior to/arrive before dates, understand that I may be paying a tad more, and, as we go forward splitting our time between the US and Thailand, will continue with a visa process that works great for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpokaneAl said:

Absolutely. However we wish to travel on our own schedule, departing and arriving on a timeframe that works best for us. I do not desire to be beholden to enter prior to/arrive before dates, understand that I may be paying a tad more, and, as we go forward splitting our time between the US and Thailand, will continue with a visa process that works great for us.

You can always get a re-entry permit on your last visit out at the airport, about 30 bucks. 

You can always get a re-entry permit on your last visit out at the airport, about 30 bucks.   

Yes, but I think you are missing my point. Even with the purchase of a re-entry permit, we would still be locked into returning to Thailand prior to the enter before date/enter prior to date on the original non imm o-a visa. That does not work for us.

3 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Yes, but I think you are missing my point. No matter what, we would be locked into returning to Thailand prior to the enter before date/enter prior to date on the original non imm o-a visa. That does not work for us.

In that case no visa is going to work for you since they all have validity periods.  Visa exempt makes more sense and costs nothing.

9 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Yes, but I think you are missing my point. Even with the purchase of a re-entry permit, we would still be locked into returning to Thailand prior to the enter before date/enter prior to date on the original non imm o-a visa. That does not work for us.

Don't you have at least a year?  Buy the original and exit and come back in and then you are good for a year.  Or just get an extension at the end of the first year and then still good for a year.  Right?

Edited by marcusarelus

12 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

If what you are doing now works, no need to change anything.  A new Non-OA Visa every year will work.

But, a re-entry permit does not relate to the "enter before" date on the visa - only to the "permitted stay" stamp-date currently one one's passport when they apply for the re-entry permit.  One's "permitted stay" can be further in the future than their visa's "enter before" date - up to a year further in the future, in the case of a Non-OA Visa.

What he was suggesting is, you could do an "out/in" border-bounce prior to your longer trip out.  That run would get you a fresh 1-year "permitted-stay" from your Non-OA Visa.  Then, you would get a re-entry permit, which keeps that "permitted stay" alive, past the time where the Visa is still valid (after the "enter before" date has passed).  If you will be traveling out often during the 2nd year, a multiple re-entry permit is 3800 Baht, vs the 1000 Baht for a single-use re-entry permit.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

In that case no visa is going to work for you since they all have validity periods.  Visa exempt makes more sense and costs nothing.

We stay for six months each year and our non imm o-a visa process works perfect for us, and has for the past six years.

I don’t see how a visa exempt would get us six months in Thailand each year. What am I missing?

9 minutes ago, farangx said:

The OA visa has been working for him for 6 years as he posted earlier. He gets a new visa every year while he is in US.

His stays in the country is much longer than a visa exempt entry would allow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

We stay for six months each year and our non imm o-a visa process works perfect for us, and has for the past six years.

I don’t see how a visa exempt would get us six months in Thailand each year. What am I missing?

OA visa. Make a border run before you leave and then you have a year to come back. 

Edited by marcusarelus

If what you are doing now works, no need to change anything.  A new Non-OA Visa every year will work.

But, a re-entry permit does not relate to the "enter before" date on the visa - only to the "permitted stay" stamp-date currently one one's passport when they apply for the re-entry permit.  One's "permitted stay" can be further in the future than their visa's "enter before" date - up to a year further in the future, in the case of a Non-OA Visa.

What he was suggesting, is you could do an "out/in" border-bounce prior to your longer trip out.  That run would get you a fresh 1-year "permitted-stay" from your Non-OA Visa.  Then, you would get a re-entry permit, which keeps that "permitted stay" alive, past the time where the Visa is still valid (after the "enter before" date has passed).  If you will be traveling out often during the 2nd year, a multiple re-entry permit is 3800 Baht, vs the 1000 Baht for a single-use re-entry permit.

That is true, but we could have problems on one end or the other. Getting a re-entry permit could cause us to be limited on our return six month period, unless we did a border bounce at the last possible minute before we depart Thailand, or else we would need to depart from Thailand earlier the following year.

Again, the non imm o-a every year gives us maximum flexibility on when return and when we depart to/from Thailand. I like and appreciate that and if it costs a bit more over the long run, I am good with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The OA visa has been working for him for 6 years as he posted earlier. He gets a new visa every year while he is in US.

His stays in the country is much longer than visa exempt entry would allow.

I got what he is saying, but even OAs are bounded by dates just like re-entry permit.  But that 30 bucks at the airport lets him come back after that OA expired to stay for 6 months, possibly more without a visit to the embassy.

I got what he is saying, but even OAs are bounded by dates just like re-entry permit.  But that 30 bucks at the airport lets him come back after that OA expired to stay for 6 months, possibly more without a visit to the embassy.     

Okay, please correct me if I am wrong.  Here is my situation. I got a new non imm o-a in September 2018, and as a result have an enter before date of September 2019. We arrived in Thailand in early November 2018 and will stay until mid April 2019. We did leave the country and return at the end of December so have a new admitted to date of December 2019. My understanding is that a reentry permit would do nothing to change my required return date of September 2019 to get that additional year that I would need for my late 2019 return and April 2020 departure.

Is that not correct?

16 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Visas come with dates, re-entry permits also come with dates. Either way you are still locked in.  A visa exempt you don't have to apply for it, not saying you can use that for a 6 month continuous stay here.

38 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Okay, please correct me if I am wrong.  Here is my situation. I got a new non imm o-a in September 2018, and as a result have an enter before date of September 2019. We arrived in Thailand in early November 2018 and will stay until mid April 2019. We did leave the country and return at the end of December so have a new admitted to date of December 2019. My understanding is that a reentry permit would do nothing to change my required return date of September 2019 to get that additional year that I would need for my late 2019 return and April 2020 departure.

Is that not correct?

With each reentry, your admitted until date gives you extra months beyond your visa expiry date. For 30 bucks at the airport, you can keep these extra months.  So if your last entry on that visa is during the expiry month, you get almost an extra year.

Edited by farangx

31 minutes ago, farangx said:
43 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Is that not correct?

With each reentry, your admitted until date gives you extra months beyond your visa expiry date. For 30 bucks at the airport, you can keep these extra months.  So if your last entry on that visa is during the expiry month, you get almost an extra year.

During this extra year, you can do another 6 month stay here before you need to visit the embassy again.