Saudi teen who fled family leaves Thailand for asylum in Canada

rooster59

3 hours ago, MARK74 said:

"The UNHCR welcomed Canada's decision and also acknowledged Thailand had given Qunun temporary refuge."

what exactly did Thailand screw up? they didn't want to get involved and gave the girl refuge and she is now on the way to canada.

the world is watching? the same world selling billions of dollars of arms to the saudis every year.

I am sure thailand will be losing a lot of sleep over it ????

They screwed up by pandering to the Saudis- have a look at the picture of Big Joke and the Charge de Affaires. Also kow-towed to the father when he arrived and would happily have sent her back if this case had not hit social media. Giving her refuge- he was prepared to send her back to a certain death.

Interesting the difference between States. The US (well Trump) continues to defend MBS ove the murder of a journalist as there is the biggliest arms deal EVER going through (well its actually NOT) and jobs are more important than people. Contrast this with Canada that is prepared (well its still being debated) to step away from an 15 BILLION dollar arms deal involving armoured vehicles over human rights and other issues with the Saudis. Diplomatic relations and other trade deals have been off for month over this issue and the asylum claim will just fan the fire and put unwanted attention on an awful regime. 

As for 'the world is watching'- the world is far bigger than the US believe it or not.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

Aussie politicians probably too busy ensuring they were covering their own butts before making any sort of commitment.  Or the US embassy just told them 'put this on the back burner'. 

Yep-the Yanks of the South Pacific' (as told to me by a Kiwi!) will have done what they were told! ????

32 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Only Canada's Liberal government pandering to ethnic voters in urban centers sees a win in this. The Canadian taxpayers on the hook for the $1billion+ in costs associated with the growing number of illegal economic migrants  pouring in do not agree. Canada does not need another  1 million immigrants. The emphasis on the need for immigrants is BS as Canada cannot even take care of its own  First Nations, many of whom cannot even access potable water.

Absolute stupidity on Trudeau's part. Canada's universities and healthcare system has been impacted negatively by the loss of the Saudi subsidies and Canada hasn't received the overdue $1.8 billion instalment payment on its arms sale. Good luck collecting now.

I congratulate Trudeau, with whom I have many differences on this.

I get a bit tired of the false rhetoric on illegal immigrants.

They are asylum seekers who cross the border illegally but under Canadian and international law if they present themselves for processing they are not illegal immigrants.

The last number I read was 24,000 last year of which 90% are expected to be rejected.

It is true that having people flee the self proclaimed "world's greatest democracy" is slightly ludicrous but the Big Orange Bigot taking away temporary protection status from people like Haitians.

As far as SA and economics, the while thing was triggered when they sentenced a reporter to a flogging for criticizing MBS. His family lives in Montreal and Canada objected to the abuse of human rights. SA is sensitive to that and overreacted.

I'm not going to criticize Canada for standing up to a guy who cuts up journalists.

Canada now has more high tech immigrants than silicone valley and plans to bring in 1 million people to fill suitable jobs.

A comprehensive program of affordable education in those areas would be a great idea for Canadians already resident.

I agree the indigenous people have been treated abysmally and that needs fixing fast.

Locking in oil only helps MBS and Putin and hurts Canada.

But, I hope, their will be more future scrutiny of which regimes the American arms manufacturer based in Canada sell its products to.

If Canada doesn't get a dime in Saudi money going forward, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

1 hour ago, flyswat said:

Probably preferred going to Canada to years waiting on Naru if she went to Australia seeking Asylum!

So how would you go about processing the hundreds of thousands of refugee/asylum seekers that try to enter Australia each year? Vetting out all of the murderers, rapists, thieves, child molesters etc, before they are cleared to be part of the mainstream, multi cultural society of Australia. 

3 hours ago, eggers said:

Hang on, she, UNHCR & Thai Gov't were originally saying she wanted to go to Australia, now all of a sudden,"left the building".... going to Canada!! All seems a bit dodgy!! 

Australia is turning back tens of thousands of muslim Indonesians every year. Maybe they didn't want to give preferential treatment to a Saudi muslim? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Essaybloke said:

Aussie politicians probably too busy ensuring they were covering their own butts before making any sort of commitment.  Or the US embassy just told them 'put this on the back burner'. 

The US embassy had nothing to do with Australia’s poor decision. Why do you need to deflect is a better question?? So why ? 

1 hour ago, Templar Rising said:

Everyone is missing the point here. The Big Picture. This lady is simply "Walking Dead" The UNHCR have a fantastic record of protecting people in their care, right? 

If her "family" don't get to her first then it will be some fanatic taking revenge in the name of Allah. 

Thailand is the smart cookie here, when that happens let Canada deal with the diplomatic fallout while the Thai's look on and go about their business. 

Danger Will Robinson, danger!

I have to agree. One should never try to escape from oppression, it is so risky. And of course, no nation should shelter true asylum-seekers because they should be deathly afraid of repercussions from out-of-control rouge nations. Always best to avoid conflict and slink away with your tail between your legs. ????????????

Hell no!! What are you thinking?

13 minutes ago, dpspike said:

Australia is turning back tens of thousands of muslim Indonesians every year. Maybe they didn't want to give preferential treatment to a Saudi muslim? Just a thought.

You are sadly lacking in any knowledge of the subject.

The girl was very, very lucky - as there are elections around the Thai corner somebody in the government, pretty high up I would assume, realized the (collateral) damage which could have been created, if this milk would turn sour. 

All fine, all smiles except the Saudis - but they are happy to sit on the Human Right Council of the very same United Nations. Makes me wonder but then, who am I ???? 

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

The US embassy had nothing to do with Australia’s poor decision. Why do you need to deflect is a better question?? So why ? 

Ha ha of course you're probably quite right! It was an allusion to Australia's fawning obsequiousness.

All those loving and encouraging comments........brought to you by the same people who tomorrow again will be posting that they escaped their own countries and voted Brexit because they are fed up with the endless stream of REFUGEES entering their countries

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Too bad Canada can not show the same compassion to Canadians.  

maybe they should look at relaxing some of the rules that make it impossible for a Canadian to marry a Thai and take her home with him.

If there is a sob story or if you are a terrorist Trudeau will love you and welcome you to Canada,.  Wonder how long before she is bringing the rest of the family to Canada with her.

I know a guy from Ontario who moved his new Thai wife over within months of their marriage. There was more than 35 years difference in their ages too. Is there something in your background that your not telling us about? 

If her family are so great she’d most likely be wanting to stay with them and not run away. Unless of course she just wants to enjoy the liberties and privileges afforded by western societies, and what sane person wouldn’t?

4 hours ago, neeray said:

Glad to see my suggestion for Canada to become involved was listened to by Trudeau. I didn't know he was following Thaivisa, LOL. She will be well cared for here in Canada.

And news today (as Trump "walls" asylum seekers and immigrants out), Canada sees win/win value in immigration and will take in another million persons over the next 3 years.

Are they interested in any British expats who are getting tired of the Thai immigration slog every year & the 90 day reminder that you're just a temporary guest even after a decade in the country !!

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Perhaps they realized that the woman may not be mentally competent.

From videos of her, her tweets etc, as well as the fact that she managed  to escape on her own, I would say she seems quite competent.

the UNHVR interviewed her over several days. No indication they detected a need for psychiatric care.

Journalist who spent extended time with her found her quite rational.

Australia did not turn her down, just took its time "considering" the request, probably concerned about the signal it might send other migrants given all the efforts they have made in recent years to deter migrants.

4 hours ago, eggers said:

Hang on, she, UNHCR & Thai Gov't were originally saying she wanted to go to Australia, now all of a sudden,"left the building".... going to Canada!! All seems a bit dodgy!! 

Canada ,  would  be  my choice ,  can we have  a poll on this .

3 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Trudeau is a very clever man - he just slapped the Saudis in the face again. Well done Canada!

Good luck to the girl! It will be bit of a shock to her being treated as an equal after 18 years in a country that worships a “religion” founded by a pedophile advocating arranged marriage to children!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Isn't it good we can speak so freely, can we imagine these words being a death sentence. 

Glad I don't live in a country ruled by backward barbarians.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Let's hope that when she gets there the media leave her alone and don't start the 'photos of her in her new home' so that everybody and their brother knows where she is.

I am quite sure that she will be well tucked away for quite some time. She will be given everything she needs including a strong support network. There will probably be some initial fanfare at the airport but after that, seclusion.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Are they interested in any British expats who are getting tired of the Thai immigration slog every year & the 90 day reminder that you're just a temporary guest even after a decade in the country !!

Well they took in grandpa from Milton but that was some time ago.  

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

One bedroom room in someone's basement in Victoria BC (better weather) 33,000 baht per month.  I hope she has a maple sugar daddy.  I moved from Canada to Thailand because of the prices among other things. I don't mind the minute every three months on my computer to report my address or the 10 min every year to show Imm my bank book. 

Archived