Saudi teen who fled family leaves Thailand for asylum in Canada

rooster59

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kannot said:

Good  luck and dont forget your  fellow  countrywomen and start a campaign to make more folk aware  of the sickness of religion.

I most certainly have to go along with, and applaud what you are saying Kannot, those words are worth billions.

2 hours ago, kannot said:

Good  luck and dont forget your  fellow  countrywomen and start a campaign to make more folk aware  of the sickness of religion.

You are spot on there Kannot but it's not religion per se that is bad. I try not judge anyone based on what they choose to believe but if they force it on others - including family - all bets are off. I do understand that some religious dogma preaches that followers force their will onto others but that is not an excuse to follow through and do it. Agree or disagree? 

Everyone is missing the point here. The Big Picture. This lady is simply "Walking Dead" The UNHCR have a fantastic record of protecting people in their care, right? 

If her "family" don't get to her first then it will be some fanatic taking revenge in the name of Allah. 

Thailand is the smart cookie here, when that happens let Canada deal with the diplomatic fallout while the Thai's look on and go about their business. 

"

Trudeau brushed off a question as to whether Canada's move might make it harder to repair ties with Saudi Arabia.

"Canada has been unequivocal that we will always stand up for human rights and women's rights around the world," he said."

Trudeau is devious. See how he treats his own folks in the Wet’suwet’en territory: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/11/canada-pipeline-indigenous-trudeau-treaty

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Trudeau can now say touché. He stuck it to MbS good on this one.

A double touché for Trudeau - he also stuck it to Trump on Trump's lack of human rights issues with Saudi Arabia who chose money and ego over people's lives.

I just hope SA will now not enact a new law that prohibits women from owning or operating a cellphone without explicit consent from their "male guardian" as a preemptive measure to prevent future occurrences. These backwards camel herders are capable of anything in their misguided interpretation of the will of their imaginary deity.

Wishing Rahaf, who has shown tremendous courage, resolve and determination in what she did, a happy and fulfilled life free of the cruel shackles of fundamentalist Islam.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Too bad Canada can not show the same compassion to Canadians.  

maybe they should look at relaxing some of the rules that make it impossible for a Canadian to marry a Thai and take her home with him.

If there is a sob story or if you are a terrorist Trudeau will love you and welcome you to Canada,.  Wonder how long before she is bringing the rest of the family to Canada with her.

This line of yours about Trudeau loving terrorists is getting kind of old and boring. Please update yourself on Canada and understand properly. Read some news and views.

Canada accepts hundreds of immigrants each year but terrorists not included.

And BTW, it is quite possible to marry a Thai and bring her to Canada. You seem to have a serious case of sour grapes.

3 minutes ago, flyswat said:

Probably preferred going to Canada to years waiting on Naru if she went to Australia seeking Asylum!

The ones who end up on Nauru are those who have attempted to enter Australia illegally.

That would not have applied to Ms Qunun had she been grated asylum there.

1 hour ago, eggers said:

Hang on, she, UNHCR & Thai Gov't were originally saying she wanted to go to Australia, now all of a sudden,"left the building".... going to Canada!! All seems a bit dodgy!! 

Aussie politicians probably too busy ensuring they were covering their own butts before making any sort of commitment.  Or the US embassy just told them 'put this on the back burner'. 

1 hour ago, eggers said:

Hang on, she, UNHCR & Thai Gov't were originally saying she wanted to go to Australia, now all of a sudden,"left the building".... going to Canada!! All seems a bit dodgy!! 

The Aussies seemed to be taking a long time making their minds up, so Canada jumped in. 

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Glad to see my suggestion for Canada to become involved was listened to by Trudeau. I didn't know he was following Thaivisa, LOL. She will be well cared for here in Canada.

And news today (as Trump "walls" asylum seekers and immigrants out), Canada sees win/win value in immigration and will take in another million persons over the next 3 years.

Only Canada's Liberal government pandering to ethnic voters in urban centers sees a win in this. The Canadian taxpayers on the hook for the $1billion+ in costs associated with the growing number of illegal economic migrants  pouring in do not agree. Canada does not need another  1 million immigrants. The emphasis on the need for immigrants is BS as Canada cannot even take care of its own  First Nations, many of whom cannot even access potable water.

Absolute stupidity on Trudeau's part. Canada's universities and healthcare system has been impacted negatively by the loss of the Saudi subsidies and Canada hasn't received the overdue $1.8 billion instalment payment on its arms sale. Good luck collecting now.

24 minutes ago, Hockeybik said:

You are spot on there Kannot but it's not religion per se that is bad. I try not judge anyone based on what they choose to believe but if they force it on others - including family - all bets are off. I do understand that some religious dogma preaches that followers force their will onto others but that is not an excuse to follow through and do it. Agree or disagree? 

While we can respect people and their feelings, that doesn't mean we should respect their beliefs or any faith-based belief system. I very much 'judge' the dangerous extremism of the Saudi regime and its 'justice' because it is so strongly faith and not ethics based. Well anyhow, good luck to her, she's dodged that bullet (for now?).

24 minutes ago, Templar Rising said:

Everyone is missing the point here. The Big Picture. This lady is simply "Walking Dead" The UNHCR have a fantastic record of protecting people in their care, right? 

If her "family" don't get to her first then it will be some fanatic taking revenge in the name of Allah. 

Thailand is the smart cookie here, when that happens let Canada deal with the diplomatic fallout while the Thai's look on and go about their business. 

As a Canadian myself, I feel qualified to say, she will be quite safe here.

Canada has the where with all to handle a situation like this.

44 minutes ago, lust said:

Should have chosen Australia. I don’t think she’s aware of the new Islamic political party in Canada that’s trying to impose sharia law.

So many Muslims in Canada, I’m sure someone will finish out her families plan for her, unfortunately.

The Conservative Party may be new but they are Tories at heart and go back a long ways.image.jpg.8001d861a36665587a3b6dcdbbc9c8ef.jpg

2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Perhaps they realized that the woman may not be mentally competent.

It strikes me that she seems quite mentally competent. At aged 18, she has decided to make an audacious escape from a country which imposes restrictions on women which would have been regarded as draconian in the dark ages. She managed to do so - which arguably requires considerable mental competence. Australia was probably chosen by her because it was somewhere she thought she could get to. amd apparemtly she had some contacts there. However she was held (for whatever reason - we will probably never know why) at Bangkok; she was lucky that the UNHCR reached her before her father and brother did. She was lucky that Canada offered her refuge.

17 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

Best wishes to the young lady.  Hope someone is watching her back when she gets to Canada, these type of family feuds are bitter and twisted. 

No worries. Islam is the religion of peace. Canada respects diversity. Mind you, Al Qaeda affiliated Mohamed Mahjoub has been successfully avoiding deportation for 18 years despite his bogus refugee claim.

Oh dear The Sherlock Holmes Academy  out in force with their expertise in The Art of Crystal Ball readings. However one statement did strike me as nice and positive "Congratulations young woman. Hope you can fulfil your ambitions in Canada and achieve a joyous future." 

2 hours ago, eggers said:

my guess is she'd go anywhere where she is safe of being strangled.
Good luck to her, with her level of initiative and determination, I expect her to excel in her studies and I see a bright future ahead.

Archived