Trump stops short of emergency declaration in border wall fight

rooster59

Trump stops short of emergency declaration in border wall fight

By Richard Cowan and Steve Holland

800x800 (6).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump shows a photo of a "typical" border wall design during a "roundtable discussion on border security and safe communities" with state, local, and community leaders in the Cabinet Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., January 11, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Friday he would not declare a national emergency "right now" to end a standoff over border security that has idled large swaths of the U.S. government, all but guaranteeing that he will preside over the longest shutdown in U.S. history.

The dispute has disrupted everything from air travel to tax collection and suspended pay for 800,000 government workers.

Trump has repeatedly described the situation at the U.S.- Mexico border as a "humanitarian crisis" as speculation has increased this week that he would circumvent Congress to begin building his signature wall - a move that would be sure to draw a court challenge from Democrats who say the barrier would be barbaric and ineffective.

Instead, the president urged lawmakers to provide him the $5.7 billion he is seeking for border security.

"The easy solution is for me to call a national emergency. I could do that very quickly," Trump said during a White House event on border security. "I have the absolute right to do it. But I'm not going to do it so fast. Because this is something Congress should do."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi mocked the president as she told reporters it was up to Trump to make the next move.

"Let's give him time to think it through. Think? Did I say think?" she said.

Trump spoke after lawmakers had adjourned for the weekend, precluding any possible action until next week. On Saturday, the shutdown will become the longest in U.S. history.

Earlier on Friday, the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives voted 240-179 to restore funding for the Interior Department and the Environmental Protection Agency, two of the agencies that have been shuttered since Dec. 22.

But Republicans who control the Senate have so far stood with Trump and insisted that any spending bills include money for his wall. The chamber wrapped up business for the week without taking up the House-passed bill.

A national emergency would allow Trump to divert money from other projects to pay for the wall, which was a central promise of his 2016 campaign. That, in turn, could prompt him to sign bills that restore funding to agencies that have been affected by the shutdown.

Diverting money to the wall could shortchange flood-control efforts in California and reconstruction programs in Puerto Rico, which was devastated by Hurricane Maria in 2017, according to Democratic Representative John Garamendi, who represents a district in California that would potentially be affected.

Trump already has threatened to withhold disaster-recovery approved in the wake of California wildfires.

"He has done everything he can to harm California," Garamendi told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Some of Trump's fellow Republicans are warning against a disaster declaration, saying it would undercut Congress's power under the U.S. Constitution to control government spending - and make it easier for a future Democratic president to bypass Capitol Hill.

"It's a bad precedent," Republican Senator Chuck Grassley said on CNBC.

SHUTDOWN IMPACT

Meanwhile, the impact of the shutdown began to mount.

Miami International Airport said it will close one of its terminals early over the next several days due to a possible shortage of security screeners, who have been calling in sick at twice the normal rate.

A union that represents thousands of air traffic controllers sued the Federal Aviation Administration on Friday, saying it had violated federal wage law by failing to pay workers. It is at least the third lawsuit filed by unions on behalf of unpaid workers.

Roughly 800,000 federal workers did not receive paychecks that would have gone out on Friday. Some have resorted to selling their possessions or posting appeals on online fundraising sites to help pay their bills.

"Most of them are living from paycheck to paycheck and now they approach this day on Friday having moved from paycheck to no check," Democratic Representative Elijah Cummings said in debate on the House floor.

The head of the U.S. Secret Service, which is responsible for protecting Trump, warned employees that financial stress can lead to depression and anxiety. "Keep an eye out for warning signs of trouble," Director R.D. "Tex" Alles wrote in a memo seen by Reuters.

Vice President Mike Pence said Trump will sign legislation passed in Congress that will provide back pay to federal workers once the government reopens.

"Your families will get your paychecks," he told U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the agency's Washington headquarters.

Separately, Senator Rob Portman and eight other Republican senators introduced legislation that would permanently outlaw the closing of government operations during budget fights, underscoring the growing frustration in Washington.

During his presidential campaign, Trump repeatedly pledged that Mexico would pay for the wall, which he says is needed to stem the flow of illegal immigrants and drugs. But the Mexican government has refused and Trump is now demanding that Congress provide funding.

"They can name it 'peaches.' I don't care what they name it. But we need money for that barrier," Trump said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-12

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...President Donald Trump said on Friday he would not declare a national emergency "right now" to end a standoff over border security that has idled large swaths of the U.S. government, all but guaranteeing that he will preside over the longest shutdown in U.S. history..."

'National Emergency'? There is no national emergency. The only difference in the situation between last month and this month is that the Democrats now have some political power. Period. And, the "Master Negotiator", the "Deal-Maker" is too incompetent to deal with the situation.

Apologies to all my American friends, but the Clown is making you look like a third-world country; it is embarrassing to watch.

I have said it before and (sadly) need to say it again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches.

God help us all.

5 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...President Donald Trump said on Friday he would not declare a national emergency "right now" to end a standoff over border security that has idled large swaths of the U.S. government, all but guaranteeing that he will preside over the longest shutdown in U.S. history..."

'National Emergency'? There is no national emergency. The only difference in the situation between last month and this month is that the Democrats now have some political power. Period. And, the "Master Negotiator", the "Deal-Maker" is too incompetent to deal with the situation.

Apologies to all my American friends, but the Clown is making you look like a third-world country; it is embarrassing to watch.

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches.

God help us all.

I take it you aren't American, never lived anywhere near the border, so your opinion is pretty much meaningless.

9 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Looking like a third world country, as opposed to having no southern border and actually becoming a third world country. 

What is embarrassing to watch is privileged Americans not appreciating the sacrifice and generations of serious hard work to make America the great country that it is. Your ancestors fought and died for your security, and it wasn't so you can feel embarrassed and throw it all away. 

17 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

God help us all.

No apologies needed. You speak the truth. 

6 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Looking like a third world country, as opposed to having no southern border and actually becoming a third world country. 

What is embarrassing to watch is privileged Americans not appreciating the sacrifice and generations of serious hard work to make America the great country that it is. Your ancestors fought and died for your security, and it wasn't so you can feel embarrassed and throw it all away. 

Keep our lettuce fields safe from foreign occupation!

I don’t know I have 3 property’s close to the southern border went to the 3 grade in Mexico I’ve known many Mexicans over the years never felt threatened on the contrary I’ve known them to be hard working family men and women just the kind of people we need on our team that being said don’t assume I espouse open borders Donald is to incompetent of a negotiator to get his wall he is all do as I say or I will stab you in the eye he is not the right guy for the job needs to be dumped ASAP!

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Keep our lettuce fields safe from foreign occupation!

The uninformed have the belief the illegals only work in the fields. Your comment confirms your lack of understanding of how all blue collar jobs are hit. You don't think they take jobs in construction, warehousing, factory work? As automation increases these unskilled-skilled manual labor type jobs are decreasing. The influx of illegals only makes it harder on the legal Americans.

35 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

foolishness, ever hear of ladders and tunnels ?

Ever hear of border patrols and drones?  A barrier is just that, a barrier. It is not meant to be a save all! Why do people have walls around their homes? Have they never heard of a ladder or tunnels? 

What a ridiculous comment.

Hey even keel I’m a construction guy mostly on the marine side diving running boats and heavy equipment just so you know the youth today (for the most part)have no interest whatsoever in blue collar work to busy looking at their smart phone lol sadly it’s true and I’m union making good money they just aren’t interested 

42 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Ever hear of border patrols and drones?  A barrier is just that, a barrier. It is not meant to be a save all! Why do people have walls around their homes? Have they never heard of a ladder or tunnels? 

What a ridiculous comment. Someone's going to build a tunnel into your home because no one's going to notice while the tunneling is going on? Tunnelers don't build tunnels to get into border walls, they build them to get past them. So someone is going to build a tunnel to get past your house?

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

God help us all.

Seconded. This moronic clown is really, really, really ensuring that the once great USA, absolute leader of the free world - will be "Great" again. Very sad to watch this once mighty defender of the free, disintegrate into the world class shambles it has become under this traitorous excuse of a president. 

I, as a Brit, am very sad to see this occur as much as I am to see my own country falling apart because of poor leadership and weak leaders - of all parties! The US and the UK have always been closely aligned, (well, at least after US Independence) and it is troubling to see the rapid and terrifying rise of Russia, China and despotic dictators around the world.

Mr. Trump should go back to Russia and maybe let some low class prostitutes piss all over him - that, I'm afraid, is all he is worth!

7 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I just like the way Jim Acosta made the case for effective barriers. Wasn't his intention, but successful anyway.

Acosta “I didn’t see any danger on the border Mr. President,”

Trump “That’s because we had a wall,” 

Trump delivers a verbal kick to the jimmies.

1 hour ago, Longcut said:

Most of the illegals coming into my home come through the sunroof. Should I get a wall on my roof? Steel slats? Concrete? Hollow steel tubes filled with concrete? Concrete wheels? HELP, it’s a freakin’ enmergency! But, you know what? It can wait a bit, we’ll see. MAGA!

3 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Most of the illegals coming into my home come through the sunroof. Should I get a wall on my roof? Steel slats? Concrete? Hollow steel tubes filled with concrete? Concrete wheels? HELP, it’s a freakin’ enmergency! But, you know what? It can wait a bit, we’ll see. MAGA!

It can't wait because if it does then there will be an actual emergency. This happened in Europe already. It wasn't a crisis until it was and then it was too late. 

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

It can't wait because if it does then there will be an actual emergency. This happened in Europe already. It wasn't a crisis until it was and then it was too late. 

Let me see. It could wait when Republicans controlled both houses of Congress. But now that the House has a big Democratic majority, it's an emergency? 

30 minutes ago, Silurian said:

GoFundMe is refunding all donations made to the 'Fund the Wall' campaign

Well, that didn't work. Time to squeeze the US taxpayer for the ineffectual wall/barrier/steel slat fence/shower curtain.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/gofundme-border-wall-refund-brian-kolfage

“In an update to the "We the People Will Build the Wall" campaign, Brian Kolfage wrote that rather than donating the money raised to the federal government, it would instead be handed over to a private nonprofit he said he had established in order to construct a wall himself.”

It was a grift from the getgo. MAGAS are chumps and grifters see them.

Not all $20m will be returned. Gofundme gets to keep their 5% and credit card companies get to keep their 3%

This guy, Kolfage, has a history of shady fundraising.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

Let me see. It could wait when Republicans controlled both houses of Congress. But now that the House has a big Democratic majority, it's an emergency? 

Let's hope another caravan or two don't come now. I would say the wall isn't necessary if we did away with jus soli, but that isn't even a discussion. So far now I would like to prevent big numbers going through. Give me equal rights in Mexico and I might say okay open the border.

You can't give migrant right visas with jus soli and have new "citizens" with every migrational season. 

I propose future Democratic presidents use these emergency powers to coniscate all guns, because mass shootings is an actual emergency. Or ban all coalxfired power plants and curtail gas guzzeling vehiclas and curtail fossil fuel usage because Climate change is an actual energency. Or impkement medicare for all because millions without healthcare and tens of thousands going bankrupt EVERY YEAR due to medical bills is an actual emergency.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The easy solution is for me to call a national emergency. I could do that very quickly," Trump said during a White House event on border security. "I have the absolute right to do it. But I'm not going to do it so fast. Because this is something Congress should do."

No you don’t have the right to do that. There is no crisis beyond the one you are manufacturing. 

You equally have no right to demand  tax payers pay for your border folly. You have no mandate for such a policy. 

Now, stop throwing this temper tantrum and put an end to the misery your shutdown is causing. 

Act like a president and not a narcissist for once. 

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A national emergency would allow Trump to divert money from other projects to pay for the wall, which was a central promise of his 2016 campaign

Actually the pledge was Mexico would pay for his wall. 

23 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I would love to hear what your opinion is on jus soli. So if America opens it's borders how would you suggest we get around this issue? 

Archived