Trump stops short of emergency declaration in border wall fight

rooster59

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I take it you aren't American, never lived anywhere near the border, so your opinion is pretty much meaningless.

I take it you don’t live near the border, as the politicians, Democrat and Republican, responsible for border security there, don’t want the wall either. 

US shutdown: Border politicians oppose Trump's wall http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46815569

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Actually the pledge was Mexico would pay for his wall. 

Obama built it originally. Both sides lie all the time. The thing is Trump is so trollish he distracts from what is really actually happening. Schumer is basically equally abrasive. 

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

What is embarrassing to watch is privileged Americans not appreciating the sacrifice and generations of serious hard work to make America the great country that it is. Your ancestors fought and died for your security, and it wasn't so you can feel embarrassed and throw it all away. 

This is jingoism of the worst sort. Those Americans who did fight and die overseas, however bravely and selflessly, did not go fight to protect Americans’ “security” but because they were sent to fight in those places. “Security” had nothing to do with it -- most of America’s war-making is imperial, from the Barbary Coast to the Philippines to Vietnam and Iraq. And, given the few comments he’s made on the topic, I don’t think Trump would disagree with that statement.

9 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Obama built it originally. Both sides lie all the time. The thing is Trump is so trollish he distracts from what is really actually happening. Schumer is basically equally abrasive. 

Really don’t see what President Barack Obama or Schumer have to do with my point. 

trump has caused a shutdown because his ego can’t accept the fact he has no mandate to get the tax payer to fund a wall. 

I do agree he is a troll though. 

5 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

This is jingoism of the worst sort. Those Americans who did fight and die overseas, however bravely and selflessly, did not go fight to protect Americans’ “security” but because they were sent to fight in those places. “Security” had nothing to do with it -- most of America’s war-making is imperial, from the Barbary Coast to the Philippines to Vietnam and Iraq. And, given the few comments he’s made on the topic, I don’t think Trump would disagree with that statement.

Can I ask if you are American, since this distinction seems to be so important in this exchange.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The uninformed have the belief the illegals only work in the fields. Your comment confirms your lack of understanding of how all blue collar jobs are hit. You don't think they take jobs in construction, warehousing, factory work? As automation increases these unskilled-skilled manual labor type jobs are decreasing. The influx of illegals only makes it harder on the legal Americans.

If you find yourself out of work because a semi litterate, hill farmer who has no skills and almost certainly can’t speak, read or write English, you’ve failed.

Failed to take advantage of the gifts and rights you were handed when you were born in the USA.

That’s nobody else’s fault but your own.

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Can I ask if you are American, since this distinction seems to be so important in this exchange.

You should perhaps direct your question to the Forum Moderators, they consistently remind us all that this forum and all topics in this forum are open to discussion by any and all members.

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I take it you aren't American, never lived anywhere near the border, so your opinion is pretty much meaningless.

I am not American but I lived and worked there for about 12 years, paid my taxes and still have property in Houston. Not sure if that qualifies me to post my opinion but I think the following makes any demand for a wall pretty much meaningless. Data courtesy of US Customs and Border Protection.

wall.jpg.950f6226f3d366ff5a41a9c75aa5af06.jpg

And from statistics compiled by the Department of Homeland Paranoia Security.

dhs.jpg.fa75994d855e144b87f88069ac82fc0f.jpg

21 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Yes, I'm American, although my parents were immigrants.

21 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I’m not questioning the “greatness” of America in terms of the freedom and opportunity it has afforded many immigrants ever since they began arriving in the fifteenth century (and earlier), or America’s relatively good intentions in some of its overseas adventures (although the intentions are always a mixed bag). What I find repulsive is the original poster’s appropriation of American fighting soldiers, who are brave and do their duty, to justify a border policy that purely political and hideously misguided.

22 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Either you are in favor of open borders unlimited immigration or you are not. I am in favor of controlling immigration and tourist into the USA. Hating Trump is a different item. 

What is the connection with the wall?

34 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Either you are in favor of open borders unlimited immigration or you are not. I am in favor of controlling immigration and tourist into the USA. Hating Trump is a different item. 

US borders are so open that would-be illegal immigrants pay $10,000 for guides to get them past the non-existent barriers. Do you have any use for facts at all?

What a piece of crap! Where was the ‘emergency’ when the Republicans controlled the House? He couldn’t get his wall money then, what makes the orange idiot think he can get it now? I really pity the people not getting paid because this senile old man is throwing a hissy fit. 

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Interesting - ignore the Fox (I got this of Facebook) - listen to the FACTS from the border patrol guy.

If this guy was someone whose job and future depended on Trump's good will, I might be sceptical. But since that's not the case...

2 hours ago, Thakkar said:

I propose future Democratic presidents use these emergency powers to coniscate all guns, because mass shootings is an actual emergency. Or ban all coalxfired power plants and curtail gas guzzeling vehiclas and curtail fossil fuel usage because Climate change is an actual energency. Or impkement medicare for all because millions without healthcare and tens of thousands going bankrupt EVERY YEAR due to medical bills is an actual emergency.

ah yes the same ridiculous vacuous blather from the liberal progressive hive. rinse and repeat

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A national emergency would allow Trump to divert money from other projects to pay for the wall, which was a central promise of his 2016 campaign. That, in turn, could prompt him to sign bills that restore funding to agencies that have been affected by the shutdown.

a) so much for the power of Law, and the separation between people's representation, executive and legislative powers, in a stbga democratic country.
b) the 2016 campaign promised that another Nation would pay for this wall.

"a (fire)-wall is only as safe as as the highest Ladder"

1 hour ago, mcambl61 said:

ah yes the same ridiculous vacuous blather from the liberal progressive hive. rinse and repeat

What's wrong with what he said? Whatever crap Trump pulls now is going to set precedent for future presidents. If he bypasses congress and declares a fake emergency to build his ego wall, what's to stop future presidents from doing the same thing to guns?

9 minutes ago, TVGerry said:

What's wrong with what he said? Whatever crap Trump pulls now is going to set precedent for future presidents. If he bypasses congress and declares a fake emergency to build his ego wall, what's to stop future presidents from doing the same thing to guns?

Exactly. The powers that were granted to presidents were granted with the assumption that we would never have a totally evil, nutcase narcissist president that would manufacture a fake crisis because he's too immature to deal with the fact that he lost control of part of congress. He's the national emergency. He needs to be removed. If he goes ahead with it, the result in future will be taking away some of the current presidential powers, which are actually needed in REAL crises. 

Mr. Trump  has been building a case for 3 or more years for the need of the wall!The liberal's say it's manufactured crisis and why wasn't it a national emergency  before!  In order to claim a emergency there has to be a clear substantiated  reason for acting on it. Now comes proof for a legitimate case! Decade's of American politicians  have  enacted laws to build a deterrent to stop illegals and other illegal act's from entering into my country,  barriers,concrete walls,fences ,structures and many other impediment's  .In some areas they have been very effective, others haven't . Those ineffective areas have to be modified! 

PT has access to intel that support his claim that this is a national emergency. Many  people from Central America,some from other parts of the world  come  to the southern border  as ,migrants and asylum seekers, and for various other reason's,many don't want to wait to be processed or come in legally through a port of entry! Many mass at the border and try to force there way through! Masses are forming in Central America now!  

"Mexican authorities will meet with Central American officials to prepare for the arrival of a planned new caravan of migrants headed to the United States next week.

Mexico hopes to discourage a mass exodus from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, and wants Central Americans who decide to migrate north to do so in an orderly way and through legal ports of entry".

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2019-01-09/mexico-prepares-for-arrival-of-next-central-american-migrant-caravan

3 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

I would also support future presidents invoking emergency powers to ban the vacuous use of the term “rinse and repeat” as well as the the vacuous use of the word “vacuous”

2 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Thank you for explaining my point, so I don’t have to.

Archived