Opening a Bangkok Bank Account to show transfers from overseas

I recently posted a thread under the Business / Banking section about using an income affidavit to open an account with Bangkok Bank account in BKK. Not sure if you have access to one? Bangkok Bank list on their website what is acceptable and there is a section that covers non work permit applications. You could print that off and take it in maybe. Trouble is either way you will need one of the documents they refer to under the part about references. It's mostly about saying you are so you say, referring to your passport and that you live where you say. If it comes to it your embassy will be able to provide such a letter, at a cost of course. I still have my income affidavit which I didn't use yet so decided, with success, to try that. The bigger the branch I've found when opening accounts the more familiar they are with the rules. A few years back I actually called the bank's call centre when I was in the bank and got them to explain that I actually could open an account where Muppet staff member was saying "cannot". Good luck!

Posted using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Though I have accounts open already, after reading a few posts on here and Krungsi doing the "Cannot open Thai baht account without work permit" thing, went into the local UOB branch. The UOB staff said it was a standard policy at all their branches now (had mention that someone on here had opened a UOB account in Bangkok), ever so helpful, and not negative at all, just following guidance issued from on high. Bakery next door then opened, so not a wasted trip!

So who is it that issued the guidance to the banks I wonder?

Edited by johnwf1963

This is what Bangkok Bank say are the required documents to open a savings account, on their website, I'm not sure if any Embassies would actually write a letter of reference, certainly the UK Embassy doesn't.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Bankok Bank said:

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying 
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear this about Pattaya banks, But guess that this is the price to pay for living in that rat-hole.

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card.........

glegolo

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

This is what Bangkok Bank say are the required documents to open a savings account, on their website, I'm not sure if any Embassies would actually write a letter of reference, certainly the UK Embassy doesn't.

I was blessed to have my GF's relative(Professor), vouch for me ! He had to come along and sign many papers! The GF told me anybody that works in  Government, can act as a guarantee

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card

Just so we can get some sort of perspective on this uniquely farang-tolerant backwater of this blighted realm, exactly how many foreigners in and around Chaiyaphum who have been seeking to open new accounts in their name with the local area banks have had such an overwhelming success and exactly how many of Thailand's banks have branches in Chaiyaphum?

Edited by NanLaew

54 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Maybe you should not hurry so much and wait a few weeks...

Many people currently asking their local bank branch about this problem,

and it could be that they soon offer an easy solution to it. :wink:

Edit: See post for KasikornBank here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1077010-kasikorn-bank-cant-confirm-uk-pension-comes-from-abroad/?page=22&tab=comments#comment-13730235

I understand your logic but can't really wait. I have to renew my extension next month so need to get the necessary bank account up and running for the required twelve months info for the extension next year, Feb 2020.

35 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Thanks for the bank info. That's typical of the British Embassy.....I am British.????

20 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Sorry to hear this about Pattaya banks, But guess that this is the price to pay for living in that rat-hole.

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card.........

glegolo

It's not the Bangkok bank in Pattaya that have been the problem, it's the main branches at both Chonburi and Si Racha. 

Edited by sumrit

14 minutes ago, riclag said:

I was blessed to have my GF's relative(Professor), vouch for me ! He had to come along and sign many papers! The GF told me anybody that works in  Government, can act as a guarantee

As a matter of interest what are the people who are being asked to write these letters being asked to guarantee?

If a person wishes to open a savings account surely they intend to deposit their cash with said bank, so what guarantee should they be providing I wonder?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Just so we can get some sort of perspective on this uniquely farang-tolerant backwater of this blighted realm, exactly how many foreigners in and around Chaiyaphum who have been seeking to open new accounts in their name with the local area banks have had such an overwhelming success and exactly how many of Thailand's banks have branches in Chaiyaphum?

Overwhelming for you yes, but for us living here, it is being a normal "thing"..... The population is hard to estimate exactly as many of them (us) are living part time here, and part time in their resp. country. But I think it is fair to estimate the number round here in the surrounding area,  to be about 1-2.000 falangs...

To educate you, I can mention that BKK Bank have 3 offrices here, Khrung Thai have 2 officies here, we have SCB bank, Khrungs Ri bank, Farmer bank and  Kasikorn bank, hopefully I have not forgotten any of them. I suggest that you read up on Chaiyaphum...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

10 minutes ago, sumrit said:

It's not the Bangkok bank in Pattaya that have been the problem, it's the main branches at both Chonburi and Si Racha. 

Since the pink ID is limited to where it was issued and not in any way and official, national ID for foreigenrs, ideally you should apply at the main branch that falls inside the same jurisdiction of the Amphur stated on your yellow book/pink ID. I assumed in your OP where you said Chonburi, you lived in Pattaya (where most of the foreigners in Chonburi reside) but from subsequent posts, maybe you do not. Pattaya is easier for sure but I can accept that more parochial provincial branches can be pedants as your experience at BB Sri Racha has indicated.

19 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Overwhelming for you yes, but for us living here, it is being a normal "thing"..... The population is hard to estimate exactly as many of them (us) are living part time here, and part time in their resp. country. But I think it is fair to estimate the number round here in the surrounding area,  to be about 1-2.000 falangs...

glegolo

Thanks. Despite your higher (but not unexpected) estimates of maybe 1000 to 2000 foreigners living locally, how many do you consider are doing extensions of any sort? All 1000 to 2000?

edit, I just re-read your post and your high numbers are an all-inclusive estimate including

...many of them (us) are living part time here, and part time in their resp. country. ...

So in reality, the amount needing income verification for Thai immigration to permit long-term stay in Thailand is probably considerably less?

And what Thai banks are actually trading in Chaiyaphum beyond Bangkok Bank and SCB?

Yes, I am trying to assert that YMMV applies as your post comes over as gloating about how easy it is for thousands of married and retired foreigners to circumvent Thailand's notoriously pedantic bureacracy and happily and easily live their dreams in Chaiyaphum.

This all based on your personal experience?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, thonglorjimmy said:

As a matter of interest what are the people who are being asked to write these letters being asked to guarantee?

If a person wishes to open a savings account surely they intend to deposit their cash with said bank, so what guarantee should they be providing I wonder?

I suppose they are asking,Can you guarantee that this person your co-signing for is responsible!

Even though the article below touches on business accounts it broadly mentions individual personnel  accounts to.

"Opening a bank account in another country can be a nightmare. Read on to find out exactly what to expect".

https://www.business.com/articles/the-struggles-of-opening-banks-accounts-in-other-countries/

Edited by riclag

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I am going to open a Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya in the next few days. I will let you know how it goes.

Yes, that will be useful. The OP might have found things easier had he driven another 25 Km from Sri Racha into Pattaya.  I always feel you get the blank 'no can' from banks in non-tourist areas. I have seen presentations by Bangkok Bank staff a couple of times where they seem very keen to open accounts for non-Thais. They mostly came from the branch near Walking St, but the old one at the to of soi 6 on Second is commonly used by westerners and English is easy. 

I also have been okay doing things in the sub branch on Sukhuvit, just South of Siam Country Club opposite Numchai. Saves me going into town fully.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, glegolo said:

o educate you, I can mention that BKK Bank have 3 offrices here, Khrung Thai have 2 officies here, we have SCB bank, Khrungs Ri bank, Farmer bank and  Kasikorn bank, hopefully I have not forgotten any of them. I suggest that you read up on Chaiyaphum...

Many thanks. A google search only yielded BB and SCB so good to get facts from the horses mouth for a change.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife can act as a reference and her house book and ID can prove your residence although the yellow book does the same thing.

Best to go to one of the main branches to get the account opened.

What about if you never officially married but have kids? Long term unofficial wife can still do with Birth certificate of kids?

And what sort of reference would the US Embassy need to give you? 

-US Citizen?

-Resides in Thailand?

-Current Visa holder? 

Also I see it just asks for a reference from a trusted Customer too. 

Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

So if they adhere to these required documents, they theoretically should not be able to refuse you? I am thinking of looking into their insurance at one time or the other if it is the best way to go.

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Since the pink ID is limited to where it was issued and not in any way and official, national ID for foreigenrs, ideally you should apply at the main branch that falls inside the same jurisdiction of the Amphur stated on your yellow book/pink ID. I assumed in your OP where you said Chonburi, you lived in Pattaya (where most of the foreigners in Chonburi reside) but from subsequent posts, maybe you do not. Pattaya is easier for sure but I can accept that more parochial provincial branches can be pedants as your experience at BB Sri Racha has indicated.

I live in Chonburi the city (A. Muang) and that's where my pink ID was issued The local Bangkok Bank branch I went to was the main branch here. It was them who suggested Si Racha's main branch.

Many years ago when I opened my first bank account (Kasikorn) the local Chonburi banks hadn't got a clue what was needed but I went to the Kasikorn branch in Royal Garden on beach road, Pattaya and it was simple, no problems at all. They said they dealt with foreigners all the time so I thought it might still be easier now for the same reason.

You say a pink ID card is 'not in any way an official, national ID for foreigners' but the vehicle licence office recognise and accept it as ID instead of a passport, and the yellow Tabien Baan instead of a residence Certificate, when renewing a Thai Driving  Licence, I did mine just last month at the local Chonburi Office. I have my ID Number on the licence instead of my passport number.

24 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Many thanks. A google search only yielded BB and SCB so good to get facts from the horses mouth for a change.

Khrung thai bank;

123, Nai Mueang, 
Mueang Chaiyaphum, 
Chaiyaphum, 36000,
---------------------
183 ก., Yuttithum Road, Nai Mueang, 
Mueang Chaiyaphum, Chaiyaphum, 36000,
---------------------
379/156-158, Haruethai Road, Nai Mueang, 
Mueang Chaiyaphum, Chaiyaphum, 36000,

I checked quickly the google function, and found that I was wrong. There were NOT 2 Khrung thai bank officies, there were in fact 3 different branch officies. And I checked only the amphue Muang area...

I do not want to go through the rest of the areas, but Chaiyaphum is not that small that people may think. In fact I think that with the surrounding areas that there might be up to 15 different branch officies of Khrung Thai bank here

glegolo

46 minutes ago, glegolo said:

To educate you, I can mention that BKK Bank have 3 offrices here, Khrung Thai have 2 officies here, we have SCB bank, Khrungs Ri bank, Farmer bank and  Kasikorn bank, hopefully I have not forgotten any of them. I suggest that you read up on Chaiyaphum...

glegolo

the FARMERS BANK and KASIKORN BANK are one and the same, they changed the name sixteen years ago in 2003, just before I opened my first account there.

• Like 1

I opened mine with no work permit, just my passport and had my wife with me, she had the house book and her id card, they didnt even look at my drivers licence, I did it at a main branch in Surat Thani

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, seajae said:

I opened mine with no work permit, just my passport and had my wife with me, she had the house book and her id card, they didnt even look at my drivers licence, I did it at a main branch in Surat Thani

Sounds like the way then. A reference or wife.