New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 21 January 2019 13:04
sumrit

Opening a Bangkok Bank Account to show transfers from overseas

Your wife can act as a reference and her house book and ID can prove your residence although the yellow book does the same thing.

Best to go to one of the main branches to get the account opened.

• Like 2

I recently posted a thread under the Business / Banking section about using an income affidavit to open an account with Bangkok Bank account in BKK. Not sure if you have access to one? Bangkok Bank list on their website what is acceptable and there is a section that covers non work permit applications. You could print that off and take it in maybe. Trouble is either way you will need one of the documents they refer to under the part about references. It's mostly about saying you are so you say, referring to your passport and that you live where you say. If it comes to it your embassy will be able to provide such a letter, at a cost of course. I still have my income affidavit which I didn't use yet so decided, with success, to try that. The bigger the branch I've found when opening accounts the more familiar they are with the rules. A few years back I actually called the bank's call centre when I was in the bank and got them to explain that I actually could open an account where Muppet staff member was saying "cannot". Good luck!

Posted using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am going to open a Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya in the next few days. I will let you know how it goes.

Though I have accounts open already, after reading a few posts on here and Krungsi doing the "Cannot open Thai baht account without work permit" thing, went into the local UOB branch. The UOB staff said it was a standard policy at all their branches now (had mention that someone on here had opened a UOB account in Bangkok), ever so helpful, and not negative at all, just following guidance issued from on high. Bakery next door then opened, so not a wasted trip!

So who is it that issued the guidance to the banks I wonder?

Edited by johnwf1963

This is what Bangkok Bank say are the required documents to open a savings account, on their website, I'm not sure if any Embassies would actually write a letter of reference, certainly the UK Embassy doesn't.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Bankok Bank said:

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying 
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear this about Pattaya banks, But guess that this is the price to pay for living in that rat-hole.

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card.........

glegolo

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

This is what Bangkok Bank say are the required documents to open a savings account, on their website, I'm not sure if any Embassies would actually write a letter of reference, certainly the UK Embassy doesn't.

I was blessed to have my GF's relative(Professor), vouch for me ! He had to come along and sign many papers! The GF told me anybody that works in  Government, can act as a guarantee

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card

Just so we can get some sort of perspective on this uniquely farang-tolerant backwater of this blighted realm, exactly how many foreigners in and around Chaiyaphum who have been seeking to open new accounts in their name with the local area banks have had such an overwhelming success and exactly how many of Thailand's banks have branches in Chaiyaphum?

Edited by NanLaew

What a palaver to open a savings account. Would make sense if a bank account with overdraft. Its a shame they don't question why they are following a daft procedure

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Maybe you should not hurry so much and wait a few weeks...

Many people currently asking their local bank branch about this problem,

and it could be that they soon offer an easy solution to it. :wink:

Edit: See post for KasikornBank here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1077010-kasikorn-bank-cant-confirm-uk-pension-comes-from-abroad/?page=22&tab=comments#comment-13730235

I understand your logic but can't really wait. I have to renew my extension next month so need to get the necessary bank account up and running for the required twelve months info for the extension next year, Feb 2020.

35 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Thanks for the bank info. That's typical of the British Embassy.....I am British.😣

20 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Sorry to hear this about Pattaya banks, But guess that this is the price to pay for living in that rat-hole.

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card.........

glegolo

It's not the Bangkok bank in Pattaya that have been the problem, it's the main branches at both Chonburi and Si Racha. 

Edited by sumrit

14 minutes ago, riclag said:

I was blessed to have my GF's relative(Professor), vouch for me ! He had to come along and sign many papers! The GF told me anybody that works in  Government, can act as a guarantee

As a matter of interest what are the people who are being asked to write these letters being asked to guarantee?

If a person wishes to open a savings account surely they intend to deposit their cash with said bank, so what guarantee should they be providing I wonder?

• Like 2