Opening a Bangkok Bank Account to show transfers from overseas

45 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I live in Chonburi the city (A. Muang) and that's where my pink ID was issued The local Bangkok Bank branch I went to was the main branch here. It was them who suggested Si Racha's main branch.

Many years ago when I opened my first bank account (Kasikorn) the local Chonburi banks hadn't got a clue what was needed but I went to the Kasikorn branch in Royal Garden on beach road, Pattaya and it was simple, no problems at all. They said they dealt with foreigners all the time so I thought it might still be easier now for the same reason.

You say a pink ID card is 'not in any way an official, national ID for foreigners' but the vehicle licence office recognise and accept it as ID instead of a passport, and the yellow Tabien Baan instead of a residence Certificate, when renewing a Thai Driving  Licence, I did mine just last month at the local Chonburi Office. I have my ID Number on the licence instead of my passport number.

I think your problems will be solved if you hit either BB on 2nd or Kasikorn on Tai in Pattaya then. I also read recently that TMB were more amenable as well. I think the branch on 2nd @ Pattayaland?

Regards the pink ID card, it's provenance is limited to the province in which it issued, it says as much (in Thai) on the back. Mine was issued in Udon Thani but I have used it in Bangkok and even airport check-in and boarding outside of Udon. However, it was declined by a teller at BB in Pattaya despite my account having been opened and still current there. She said my Thai DL was better, despite having an Udon Thani address on it. I reckon it is good for a basic, government-issued photo ID but has restrictions on what it can be used for in other, undefined areas such as possibly local taxation and any future health and social services?

YMMV

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Sanity at last. Thanks for that clarification of what I have read on another forum as being accepted as the requested 'embassy letter'.

The OP should secure this affirmation of identity and Thai domicile (home address) from his embassy then take it along with his passport, Thai issued ID and DL to the main branch of Bangkok Bank on Second Road @ Soi 6. I have also read that the Bangkok Bank branch inside Central Festival on Beach Road has also been amenable to opening an account without too much of a palaver. In common with dealing with banks anywhere, including ones home country, best to avoid peak times such as Monday morning, Friday afternoon and lunch times early in the week when a lot of locals are doing bank business during their lunch hour(s).

FWIW I also took along 

Passport

copy of condo rental contract

Copy of bill from AIS

Didn't offer my DL as it still has a non BKK address.  They didn't ask for anything more.

WRT posters asking what the person providing a reference is being asked to guarantee.  As I explained in the post above it is merely your name, address and passport number, nothing WRT your 'reliability'.  The term 'Reference' should not be applied with it's dictionary meaning. It's not term they should have used seeing as what they are looking for (as explained by BKK Bank Head Office staff) is ID / address confirmation.

Edited by SooKee

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife can act as a reference and her house book and ID can prove your residence although the yellow book does the same thing.

Best to go to one of the main branches to get the account opened.

Posted Thursday at 09:57 AM

On 1/10/2019 at 9:50 AM,  ubonjoe said: 

That is not clear as of now.

You should start transferring them into a Thai bank now. Immigration should be flexible this year since the new requirements have already gone into effect as of the date the amendment was issued. 

You can not transferring any money if you don't have a bank account, still in phuket no one can open a bank account if they don't have B-visa whit work permit soon every bank in Thailand, they are scared about black money drug money ++++.

When I first moved to Thailand I initially landed in Cha Am, on the first day after I found a townhouse to rent I mentioned to the lady managing (not owning) the townhouse that I was going to go open a bank account at Bangkok Bank.  She said she would go with me.

She gave them a copy of her ID and probably house book (not sure at that time) and in very short time I had an account opened.  I was in the country at the time on a Visa Exempt stamp, not any type of visa.  So I guess my experience shows the use of a "customer" of Bangkok Bank to use as a reference can work. 

They spoke mostly in Thai, so I don't know what was or was not said, but if I remember correctly, the whole thing took about 20 minutes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sumrit said:

the FARMERS BANK and KASIKORN BANK are one and the same, they changed the name sixteen years ago in 2003, just before I opened my first account there.

OKmy wife refers the RED BANK  to Farmers bank. I dont know actually, But I meant the red bank whe saying farmers bank.

glegolo

• Haha 1

I opened my BKK bank a/c in the branch at the top of Soi 5 on 2nd. Rd. Jomtien ..across from the market with the Kiss restaurant.

I have 4 a/c's with 3 different banks ..and had a couple with other banks that I've since closed ..never ever had the slightest problem opening them?

4 hours ago, sumrit said:

I live in Chonburi the city (A. Muang) and that's where my pink ID was issued The local Bangkok Bank branch I went to was the main branch here. It was them who suggested Si Racha's main branch.

Many years ago when I opened my first bank account (Kasikorn) the local Chonburi banks hadn't got a clue what was needed but I went to the Kasikorn branch in Royal Garden on beach road, Pattaya and it was simple, no problems at all. They said they dealt with foreigners all the time so I thought it might still be easier now for the same reason.

You say a pink ID card is 'not in any way an official, national ID for foreigners' but the vehicle licence office recognise and accept it as ID instead of a passport, and the yellow Tabien Baan instead of a residence Certificate, when renewing a Thai Driving  Licence, I did mine just last month at the local Chonburi Office. I have my ID Number on the licence instead of my passport number.

If you are planning to open a BKKB account so as to receive TransferWise transfers with an "international transfer" (FTT) code in accordance with the new Immigration requirements, please bear in mind that BKKB are not the only agency bank which TransferWise use in Thailand. For instance they used TMB for one of my transfers which ended up in my BKKB account under the SMT coding. As you will see from the following thread I originated on the Banking forum this particular code does not appear to have even a teeny-weeny aromatic whiff of "international transfer" about it:-

That said, at least you will with a BKKB account have the alternative to SWIFT transfers in the form of transfers via their London branch available to you, which have always been coded FTT in my experience. Unlike its New York counterpart this facility does not appear to be going away any time soon - although getting yourself signed up for it will necessitate you jumping through some bureaucratic hoops which could make your current challenges in opening an account look like a walk in the park in comparison:-

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, glegolo said:

Overwhelming for you yes, but for us living here, it is being a normal "thing"..... The population is hard to estimate exactly as many of them (us) are living part time here, and part time in their resp. country. But I think it is fair to estimate the number round here in the surrounding area,  to be about 1-2.000 falangs...

To educate you, I can mention that BKK Bank have 3 offrices here, Khrung Thai have 2 officies here, we have SCB bank, Khrungs Ri bank, Farmer bank and  Kasikorn bank, hopefully I have not forgotten any of them. I suggest that you read up on Chaiyaphum...

glegolo

I suggest that you read up on Pattaya and stop calling my city a rat-hole.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OJAS said:

If you are planning to open a BKKB account so as to receive TransferWise transfers with an "international transfer" (FTT) code in accordance with the new Immigration requirements, please bear in mind that BKKB are not the only agency bank which TransferWise use in Thailand. For instance they used TMB for one of my transfers which ended up in my BKKB account under the SMT coding. As you will see from the following thread I originated on the Banking forum this particular code does not appear to have even a teeny-weeny aromatic whiff of "international transfer" about it:-

That said, at least you will with a BKKB account have the alternative to SWIFT transfers in the form of transfers via their London branch available to you, which have always been coded FTT in my experience. Unlike its New York counterpart this facility does not appear to be going away any time soon - although getting yourself signed up for it will necessitate you jumping through some bureaucratic hoops which could make your current challenges in opening an account look like a walk in the park in comparison:-

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

This is of particular importance if (as you will) be relying on that because a single month in the whole year when it doesn’t show up as international will invalidate the basis of your application. Nor will it mean they will always use that route. The basis of FX  companies is that they may use any intermediary bank they chose if that change is cheaper for them. Both my uk banks Santander and nationwide have a £25 or £20 charge for each transfer so £240 - £300 per year in fees is rather hefty. 

Do the banks even know exactly what they are going to have to say in this letter to satisfy TI? Try explaining what you want in this respect to a branch in the sticks when they don’t really even understand their own codes.There is a lot more pain and confusion to result from this requirement .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I opened my BKK bank a/c in the branch at the top of Soi 5 on 2nd. Rd. Jomtien ..across from the market with the Kiss restaurant.

I have 4 a/c's with 3 different banks ..and had a couple with other banks that I've since closed ..never ever had the slightest problem opening them?

Agree, I opened account with BKK bank a few months ago in Pattaya, north end of 2nd road. Couldn’t have been more helpful. I had blue book for condo but was on 30 day visa waiver. Walked out after 20 minutes with visa debit card and they even helped me set up app on phone. I may just have been lucky but from the way they dealt with me, it all seemed pretty routine. Top marks.

• Like 1

I opened a savings account with Bangkok Bank a little over a year ago in East Pattaya on Soi Nernplubwan quite easily. I had a Non O visa and they required a Certificate of residence and my house rental agreement and was quite straitforward, i also opened a foreign currency account at the same time which you can use for the retirement extension.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

[/url]  

Indeed this could very well be a problem. Of the transfers I have made to Kasikorn this year they were sent by TW using the following banks

12 Bangkok Bank
4 Kasikorn
3 (the most recent 3) TMB

Only those sent via Kasikorn show as International (and even then there has been a glitch or two).  Having now opened a BKK Bank account I'll try them. It'll be interesting to see if having a BKK account results in the same inconsistency with the partner banks they use. I hope not but, given that Kasikorn is also a TW partner, that hasn't meant they've used Kasikorn for more than a few transactions.  I hope TMB is not the new bank of (their) choice for 2019!!  If so, back to square one.

I've not seen so many folks saying BKK transfers using TW have not shown up as International but until now there perhaps hasn't been the level of scrutiny that we are now seeing. It never mattered before.  The only bonus might be that in the first year of this change Immigration might show some leniency with regard to the odd rogue transfer that doesn't immediately look like it's International. Then again, they might not. If I get just one TX into BKK Bank that doesn't show as International I might have to revert to traditional bank to bank SWIFT transfers despite it being more costly. That or use OFX who always transfer bank to bank but whose rates are not so good as TW, although on the face of it, still somewhat cheaper than regular bank SWIFT.

I've also seen folks referring to the fact that they've been told that Kasikorn (maybe others too) are aware of the problem and are working on tidying up their TX codes in a way that might be more useful.  It'd be great if it was true but personally I'm not holding out much hope for that nor am I that confident in what some random staff member says that might be good news any more than I have in news that might be bad.  I've had experience of too many staff not having a damn clue or just making stuff up.  Danger of losing customer, tell customer what they want to hear.  Sorted, true or not, doesn't matter, problem solved for today.  Not all staff for sure, but too many in my experience.  Given the timing of the regulations we don't really have enough time to sit around and hope for some magical fix.  Glass half empty I know, but I'd rather be sceptical and safe than optimistic an up 5hit creek without a paddle!

What will be interesting to see over the year ahead is what, if any, leeway Immigration will give to the of rogue transfer. I wouldn't want to risk more than one or two though, none preferably. That's why I'm not using Kasikorn as the target Bank anymore. Using BKK Bank might still not resolve it though ????.

I'm still looking into the transfer of funds via BKK Bank in London but, though it says it can be done by post, I'm not sure it can set up from Thailand.  Not looked into it enough yet to be certain but at £15 per transfer that's cheaper than most banks.  I used to use the £4 flat rate TX from HSBC until a couple of years ago until they changed their banking relationships and started hitting you with intermediary charges.  I just tried two fairly low transfers from HSBC to two different Kasikorn accounts, both got hit with heavy intermediary charges.  I might try a test transfer to BKK Bank but I'm guessing that'll be no different.

Posted using Tapatalk

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sumrit said:

Out of interest, did they issue you with another 5 year licence on renewal with Pink ID card, or just two years? Someone posted that when they changed their DL from their passport number to national ID number, they would only renew with temporary rather than permanent DL status. I am in the same position, and am reluctant to lose the 5 year 'permanent' DL 

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Do the banks even know exactly what they are going to have to say in this letter to satisfy TI? Try explaining what you want in this respect to a branch in the sticks when they don’t really even understand their own codes.There is a lot more pain and confusion to result from this requirement .

What sounds particularly troubling is that immigration officers could well turn out to be far more au fait with passbook codes used to denote international transfers than bank clerks!

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

I'm still looking into the transfer of funds via BKK Bank in London but, though it says it can be done by post, I'm not sure it can set up from Thailand.  Not looked into it enough yet to be certain but at £15 per transfer that's cheaper than most banks.

The £15 fee only applies to transfers where the GBP-to-THB conversion is made in London resulting in a THB transfer bring sent to Bangkok. If the conversion is performed after a GBP transfer has been received in Bangkok the fee is £20 plus 0.25% up to a maximum of 500 THB or down to a minimum of 200 THB. But because the exchange rate used by the London branch for calculating the conversion at their end is far worse than the TT rate used at the Bangkok end, the £20/0.25% option more often than not works out as the better value for money, paradoxically!

You might like to take a read through this Home Country Forum thread dating back to when the current procedures for using the London branch facility were introduced 18 months ago - and which would appear to indicate this facility could be applied for from Thailand:-

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

What sounds particularly troubling is that immigration officers could well turn out to be far more au fait with passbook codes used to denote international transfers than bank clerks!

The £15 fee only applies to transfers where the GBP-to-THB conversion is made in London resulting in a THB transfer bring sent to Bangkok. If the conversion is performed after a GBP transfer has been received in Bangkok the fee is £20 plus 0.25% up to a maximum of 500 THB or down to a minimum of 200 THB. But because the exchange rate used by the London branch for calculating the conversion at their end isfar worse than the TT rate used at the Bangkok end, the £20/0.25% option more often than not works out as the cheaper, paradoxically!

You might like to take a read through this Home Country Forum thread dating back to when the current procedures for using the London branch facility were introduced 18 months ago - and which would appear to indicate this facility could be applied for from Thailand:-

That's good news.  Your last post on that thread though, does that mean that the registrations are not being actioned for this service?  Don't mind supplying the paperwork as long as it gets the result.

Like I say, only really glanced at it until now and as you say, looks like a £20 to get the THB conversion this end.  I'll have to see how that looks vs OFX.  

Edited by SooKee

I did it for my social security. No issues but a lot of form filling. I didn't need a reference or anything. I think Bangkok bank is the only bank complying with FACTA and that is the only one SS will approve. The only issue is they would not give me a ATM card...strangely FACTA forbids ATM cards on this type of account

1 hour ago, roath said:

Out of interest, did they issue you with another 5 year licence on renewal with Pink ID card, or just two years? Someone posted that when they changed their DL from their passport number to national ID number, they would only renew with temporary rather than permanent DL status. I am in the same position, and am reluctant to lose the 5 year 'permanent' DL 

Another five-year licence, actually

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

When I get confirmation of the transfer from TW it actually tells me what Thai bank is being used so I actually get that info before the money even arrives. All via BB so far, apart from two which were transferred via TMB. I've been told its possible to get some sort of credit reference for those odd occasions to show where the money originated. Not sure how it's done yet though.

8 hours ago, glegolo said:

Sorry to hear this about Pattaya banks, But guess that this is the price to pay for living in that rat-hole.

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card.........

glegolo

Someone else who's never lived here criticising Pattaya. I've actually never seen a rat in the area in which i live, just along the coast from the city. I imagine there're lots in your jungle clearing in the back of beyond. My wife's from that area and I wouldn't live there for anything, I'd die of boredom in a a couple of months. In fact, Pattaya's the only place in Thailand I would live. It has everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

Someone else who's never lived here criticising Pattaya. I've actually never seen a rat in the area in which i live, just along the coast from the city. I imagine there're lots in your jungle clearing in the back of beyond. My wife's from that area and I wouldn't live there for anything, I'd die of boredom in a a couple of months. In fact, Pattaya's the only place in Thailand I would live. It has everything.

Rat, it is just a "say"... meaning more the population of humans, than the animals...

Not my understanding just relaying to you....

glegolo

6 hours ago, Scott424 said:

When I first moved to Thailand I initially landed in Cha Am, on the first day after I found a townhouse to rent I mentioned to the lady managing (not owning) the townhouse that I was going to go open a bank account at Bangkok Bank.  She said she would go with me.

She gave them a copy of her ID and probably house book (not sure at that time) and in very short time I had an account opened.  I was in the country at the time on a Visa Exempt stamp, not any type of visa.  So I guess my experience shows the use of a "customer" of Bangkok Bank to use as a reference can work. 

They spoke mostly in Thai, so I don't know what was or was not said, but if I remember correctly, the whole thing took about 20 minutes

Good for you.

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

And good for you too.

However, without giving us the year that you managed to open your last account, it's all quite meaningless as the new, stricter regulations are fairly recent unless you are measuring in dog years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Breakingbad said:

Agree, I opened account with BKK bank a few months ago in Pattaya, north end of 2nd road. Couldn’t have been more helpful. I had blue book for condo but was on 30 day visa waiver. Walked out after 20 minutes with visa debit card and they even helped me set up app on phone. I may just have been lucky but from the way they dealt with me, it all seemed pretty routine. Top marks.

Good post with relevant date and additional information that suggests that a condo blue book may trump the visa type consideration... depending on who you talk to on the day you try to open an account of course.

YMMV

Edited by NanLaew

10 hours ago, glegolo said:

Sorry to hear this about Pattaya banks, But guess that this is the price to pay for living in that rat-hole.

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card.........

glegolo

Rat-hole You say. Only a rat will know ????

• Like 1

I opened one at the Bangkok Bank branch on Sukhumvit at end of Pattaya Klang about 12 months ago without any work permit. This was despite their computer flagging me as "high risk" ( my name is a common one and I have been made aware by US Immigration of at least 2 people with my name and DOB being convicted drug smugglers )

It tooK about 1 and 1/2 hours and I was forced to buy an unwanted insurance policy at a cost of about 5,000 baht as this meant they didn't have to refer my application to head office. 

My wife was with me and I dare say this helped but at the time we had no address other than a holiday rental.

Having read numerous threads such as this it seems to me it is just a case of keep trying, keep patient and eventually one will open an account for you.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife can act as a reference and her house book and ID can prove your residence although the yellow book does the same thing.

Best to go to one of the main branches to get the account opened.

If you are married to a Thai lady, if you have your marriage registered at the amphoe and received that valuable certificate, gotten the yellow book, have an address and your wife has a current ID, you have a current passport - then you have fulfilled all your obligations. 

If you have no success you may demand to speak to head office at your expense.

Bangkok is one of the better banks. But there are others. 

First thing is to ask to someone higher up. Or change banks.

It does require patience, some hours perhaps. Smile, but not like a looney. Be cool, earn some honour and respect.

Next time you will be treated almost as an equal

October 2018 opened account at Bangkok Bank on Soi Ner Plubwan  East Pattaya all I had was drivers licence, pink card and passport, lady was most helpful.  Regarding bank statements you can download Kasikorn and Bangkok statements and both will show money coming in as International Trade and factoring center and International Transfer respectfully.