Opening a Bangkok Bank Account to show transfers from overseas

22 hours ago, theoldgit said:

This is what Bangkok Bank say are the required documents to open a savings account, on their website, I'm not sure if any Embassies would actually write a letter of reference, certainly the UK Embassy doesn't.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

I think it's possible you are overvaluing the embassy letter.  I wonder if the sort of letter one gets from an embassy for the purpose of getting a driver's license (in lieu of a residency certificate issued by immigration) would suffice.  In other words, I don't think your embassy has to swear to your sterling character and say that they would trust you to keep the crown jewels overnight, it may be sufficient for the embassy to say this person showed a valid passport and this is his address.  I wouldn't necessarily call that a reference, but the bigger question is will the bank accept this sort of thing as a reference.

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I think it's possible you are overvaluing the embassy letter.  

I'm not sure that I'm overvaluing anything, it's Bangkok Bank that says, "A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document from an Embassy located  in Thailand" I suspect they would have a view if they would regard a confirmation of address as a reference. 

I recall trying to open an account with my wife at a branch of Kasikorn last year, where incidently I already had an account, they cited a new rule from the Bank of Thailand that foreigners needed to have a letter of reference from their Embassy, when I asked what that letter of reference needed to confirm, they couldn't answer. We checked with their HQ who confirmed their was no such new rule or requirement and suggested we go back and get the staff to call a number I was given. Being wary of "loss of face'' my wife suggested we go to a larger branch in Silom, we did and our account was opened in an instant.   

• Like 1

i opened a bank account with bkk bank 3.5 yrs ago..

im retired in pattaya.. i went to the bkk on second rd, opposite soi6/1.. with a farlang real estate agent..

it was all very simply and professional..

ive found them excellent , ever since...

Well while we are all trumpet blowing about BBK, me too. 

Been with my branch in Sri Thep for 12 years, never had a prob with immigration letter, just got a new mastercard, and the manager signed my recent certificate of life form for pension. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, SooKee said:

That's good news.  Your last post on that thread though, does that mean that the registrations are not being actioned for this service?  Don't mind supplying the paperwork as long as it gets the result.

Worry not, that appears to have just turned out to be a piece of FAKE NEWS on my part,:sorry:

Following a token transfer I initiated a few days ago to confirm that I could still use this service for the first time in 18 months after using TransferWise instead, I am pleased to report that it is still alive and well!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 9:54 AM, theoldgit said:

This is what Bangkok Bank say are the required documents to open a savings account, on their website, I'm not sure if any Embassies would actually write a letter of reference, certainly the UK Embassy doesn't.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

The British Embassy do, however, issue affirmations of residency which, I would have thought, would fit the bill here:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#affirmation-of-residency

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

I think it's possible you are overvaluing the embassy letter.  I wonder if the sort of letter one gets from an embassy for the purpose of getting a driver's license (in lieu of a residency certificate issued by immigration) would suffice.  In other words, I don't think your embassy has to swear to your sterling character and say that they would trust you to keep the crown jewels overnight, it may be sufficient for the embassy to say this person showed a valid passport and this is his address.  I wouldn't necessarily call that a reference, but the bigger question is will the bank accept this sort of thing as a reference.

I think I meant to convey by my comments that what one might get from an embassy isn't exactly what I would call a reference.  It's more like an address confirmation.  Such an address confirmation could probably be obtained for less effort and certainly less money from your local immigration office (residency certificate for 0-500 baht).  Possibly they might even be satisfied to see a Tabian Bahn (Yellow house registration book) and/or a utility bill addressed to you from such as PEA, CAT, etc.

• Like 1

12 years ago, 10, 5,4,3...

That information is old and the rules have changed recently regarding opening accounts.

And the "I just opened one with nothing but Visa exempt" are not true unless you had an agent.

Just follow the advice some are giving about the recent rules and requirements.  Do not waste your time with other nonsense untruths.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

12 years ago, 10, 5,4,3...

That information is old and the rules have changed recently regarding opening accounts.

And the "I just opened one with nothing but Visa exempt" are not true unless you had an agent.

Just follow the advice some are giving about the recent rules and requirements.  Do not waste your time with other nonsense untruths.

I opened a new Savings Bank Account at Krungsri in December in Pattaya, all I showed them was my Passport, no agents involved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skatewash said:

it may be sufficient for the embassy to say this person showed a valid passport and this is his address. 

How the embassy would know what is your address in Thailand? I asked the manager of Bangkok Bank near Soi 10 Sukumvit road, Bangkok,  what exactly this letter would be. She said, it should be your US address tied to your passport (as US addresses are not in the Passport). I said I have a state Driver's license and in the US, Driver license is tied to an address. But she won't take it. So, I went to the embassy and told them to verify my US address using my state driver's license. As usual, US embassy does not verify anything. So, they told me to take an oath under penalty or perjury and state that the address written on a piece of paper (along with my name , date of birth, and Passport number)  is my US address. That's it and I was able to open an account on a tourist visa without any online access. After I got my O-A visa, they gave me online access.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:
If you are under 65 you get free accident insurance with a Bangkok Bank Savings Account

If its free why not but the cover is generally poor. It will be something like 20k. Is it a new offer giving free insurance?

I had no idea I had the it till they told me after I turned 65 I couldn’t have it, it’s via a Be 1st Smart Debit Card.