BANGKOK 21 February 2019 01:17
sumrit

Opening a Bangkok Bank Account to show transfers from overseas

Go to the Bangkok Bank main branch in Pattaya on second road close to soi 6 , they are very helpful and ask to speak with Na, a very nice person and speak very good english . Good luck

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Do the banks even know exactly what they are going to have to say in this letter to satisfy TI? Try explaining what you want in this respect to a branch in the sticks when they don’t really even understand their own codes.There is a lot more pain and confusion to result from this requirement .

What sounds particularly troubling is that immigration officers could well turn out to be far more au fait with passbook codes used to denote international transfers than bank clerks!

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

I'm still looking into the transfer of funds via BKK Bank in London but, though it says it can be done by post, I'm not sure it can set up from Thailand.  Not looked into it enough yet to be certain but at £15 per transfer that's cheaper than most banks.

The £15 fee only applies to transfers where the GBP-to-THB conversion is made in London resulting in a THB transfer bring sent to Bangkok. If the conversion is performed after a GBP transfer has been received in Bangkok the fee is £20 plus 0.25% up to a maximum of 500 THB or down to a minimum of 200 THB. But because the exchange rate used by the London branch for calculating the conversion at their end is far worse than the TT rate used at the Bangkok end, the £20/0.25% option more often than not works out as the better value for money, paradoxically!

You might like to take a read through this Home Country Forum thread dating back to when the current procedures for using the London branch facility were introduced 18 months ago - and which would appear to indicate this facility could be applied for from Thailand:-

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

What sounds particularly troubling is that immigration officers could well turn out to be far more au fait with passbook codes used to denote international transfers than bank clerks!

The £15 fee only applies to transfers where the GBP-to-THB conversion is made in London resulting in a THB transfer bring sent to Bangkok. If the conversion is performed after a GBP transfer has been received in Bangkok the fee is £20 plus 0.25% up to a maximum of 500 THB or down to a minimum of 200 THB. But because the exchange rate used by the London branch for calculating the conversion at their end isfar worse than the TT rate used at the Bangkok end, the £20/0.25% option more often than not works out as the cheaper, paradoxically!

You might like to take a read through this Home Country Forum thread dating back to when the current procedures for using the London branch facility were introduced 18 months ago - and which would appear to indicate this facility could be applied for from Thailand:-

That's good news.  Your last post on that thread though, does that mean that the registrations are not being actioned for this service?  Don't mind supplying the paperwork as long as it gets the result.

Like I say, only really glanced at it until now and as you say, looks like a £20 to get the THB conversion this end.  I'll have to see how that looks vs OFX.  

Edited by SooKee

I did it for my social security. No issues but a lot of form filling. I didn't need a reference or anything. I think Bangkok bank is the only bank complying with FACTA and that is the only one SS will approve. The only issue is they would not give me a ATM card...strangely FACTA forbids ATM cards on this type of account

1 hour ago, roath said:

Out of interest, did they issue you with another 5 year licence on renewal with Pink ID card, or just two years? Someone posted that when they changed their DL from their passport number to national ID number, they would only renew with temporary rather than permanent DL status. I am in the same position, and am reluctant to lose the 5 year 'permanent' DL 

Another five-year licence, actually

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

If you are planning to open a BKKB account so as to receive TransferWise transfers with an "international transfer" (FTT) code in accordance with the new Immigration requirements, please bear in mind that BKKB are not the only agency bank which TransferWise use in Thailand. For instance they used TMB for one of my transfers which ended up in my BKKB account under the SMT coding. As you will see from the following thread I originated on the Banking forum this particular code does not appear to have even a teeny-weeny aromatic whiff of "international transfer" about it:-

That said, at least you will with a BKKB account have the alternative to SWIFT transfers in the form of transfers via their London branch available to you, which have always been coded FTT in my experience. Unlike its New York counterpart this facility does not appear to be going away any time soon - although getting yourself signed up for it will necessitate you jumping through some bureaucratic hoops which could make your current challenges in opening an account look like a walk in the park in comparison:-

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

When I get confirmation of the transfer from TW it actually tells me what Thai bank is being used so I actually get that info before the money even arrives. All via BB so far, apart from two which were transferred via TMB. I've been told its possible to get some sort of credit reference for those odd occasions to show where the money originated. Not sure how it's done yet though.

8 hours ago, glegolo said:

Sorry to hear this about Pattaya banks, But guess that this is the price to pay for living in that rat-hole.

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card.........

glegolo

Someone else who's never lived here criticising Pattaya. I've actually never seen a rat in the area in which i live, just along the coast from the city. I imagine there're lots in your jungle clearing in the back of beyond. My wife's from that area and I wouldn't live there for anything, I'd die of boredom in a a couple of months. In fact, Pattaya's the only place in Thailand I would live. It has everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

Someone else who's never lived here criticising Pattaya. I've actually never seen a rat in the area in which i live, just along the coast from the city. I imagine there're lots in your jungle clearing in the back of beyond. My wife's from that area and I wouldn't live there for anything, I'd die of boredom in a a couple of months. In fact, Pattaya's the only place in Thailand I would live. It has everything.

Rat, it is just a "say"... meaning more the population of humans, than the animals...

Not my understanding just relaying to you....

glegolo

6 hours ago, Scott424 said:

When I first moved to Thailand I initially landed in Cha Am, on the first day after I found a townhouse to rent I mentioned to the lady managing (not owning) the townhouse that I was going to go open a bank account at Bangkok Bank.  She said she would go with me.

She gave them a copy of her ID and probably house book (not sure at that time) and in very short time I had an account opened.  I was in the country at the time on a Visa Exempt stamp, not any type of visa.  So I guess my experience shows the use of a "customer" of Bangkok Bank to use as a reference can work. 

They spoke mostly in Thai, so I don't know what was or was not said, but if I remember correctly, the whole thing took about 20 minutes

Good for you.

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I opened my BKK bank a/c in the branch at the top of Soi 5 on 2nd. Rd. Jomtien ..across from the market with the Kiss restaurant.

I have 4 a/c's with 3 different banks ..and had a couple with other banks that I've since closed ..never ever had the slightest problem opening them?

And good for you too.

However, without giving us the year that you managed to open your last account, it's all quite meaningless as the new, stricter regulations are fairly recent unless you are measuring in dog years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Breakingbad said:

Agree, I opened account with BKK bank a few months ago in Pattaya, north end of 2nd road. Couldn’t have been more helpful. I had blue book for condo but was on 30 day visa waiver. Walked out after 20 minutes with visa debit card and they even helped me set up app on phone. I may just have been lucky but from the way they dealt with me, it all seemed pretty routine. Top marks.

Good post with relevant date and additional information that suggests that a condo blue book may trump the visa type consideration... depending on who you talk to on the day you try to open an account of course.

YMMV

Edited by NanLaew

10 hours ago, glegolo said:

Sorry to hear this about Pattaya banks, But guess that this is the price to pay for living in that rat-hole.

Here in Chaiyaphum the banks (BKK Bank included) are all only asking for either yellow house book or thai ID-card.........

glegolo

Rat-hole You say. Only a rat will know 😡

• Like 1

I opened one at the Bangkok Bank branch on Sukhumvit at end of Pattaya Klang about 12 months ago without any work permit. This was despite their computer flagging me as "high risk" ( my name is a common one and I have been made aware by US Immigration of at least 2 people with my name and DOB being convicted drug smugglers )

It tooK about 1 and 1/2 hours and I was forced to buy an unwanted insurance policy at a cost of about 5,000 baht as this meant they didn't have to refer my application to head office. 

My wife was with me and I dare say this helped but at the time we had no address other than a holiday rental.

Having read numerous threads such as this it seems to me it is just a case of keep trying, keep patient and eventually one will open an account for you.

Try the BBL branch by the big C on the same side of the road on pattaya klang....

100% confidence you will be successful in opening a account

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife can act as a reference and her house book and ID can prove your residence although the yellow book does the same thing.

Best to go to one of the main branches to get the account opened.

If you are married to a Thai lady, if you have your marriage registered at the amphoe and received that valuable certificate, gotten the yellow book, have an address and your wife has a current ID, you have a current passport - then you have fulfilled all your obligations. 

If you have no success you may demand to speak to head office at your expense.

Bangkok is one of the better banks. But there are others. 

First thing is to ask to someone higher up. Or change banks.

It does require patience, some hours perhaps. Smile, but not like a looney. Be cool, earn some honour and respect.

Next time you will be treated almost as an equal

October 2018 opened account at Bangkok Bank on Soi Ner Plubwan  East Pattaya all I had was drivers licence, pink card and passport, lady was most helpful.  Regarding bank statements you can download Kasikorn and Bangkok statements and both will show money coming in as International Trade and factoring center and International Transfer respectfully.