New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 12:07
oskar55

Bringing pills on flight to thailand?

Just wondering if I'd have any issue bringing a bunch of sleeping pills in my luggage on my flight to thailand, i've heard sleeping pills are hard to get in thailand so dunno whether or not they'd be cool with it. Also, if the box is already opened like i've already taken a few of the pills, is that okay as well? Would I have any problems whatsoever bringing them in?

Exactly what do you want to bring?

Do you have a prescription?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Exactly what do you want to bring?

Do you have a prescription?

sleeping pills, no

I ran out of Zopiclone couldn't get them here. Anything you can walk into a store and buy can't be too potent so I doubt if it's an issue.

18 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

sleeping pills, no

OK, so what you want to bring is available without prescription somewhere in the known universe (we don't know where you are).

The generic "sleeping pills" covers many drugs. Some are over the counter here, some are prescription only, and some will net you a nice stay in the slammer.

In order to give good advice we need to know EXACTLY what you want to bring.

EDIT It would also be useful to know if you are transiting through the Middle East where the rules are draconian.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

I ran out of Zopiclone couldn't get them here. Anything you can walk into a store and buy can't be too potent so I doubt if it's an issue.

Won't be a problem. As mentioned above you can purchase many legal drugs such a Valium, over counter at pharmacy in Thailand.

If it's something on the level of Benzos or stronger you should definitely not bring it without a prescription

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Won't be a problem. As mentioned above you can purchase many legal drugs such a Valium, over counter at pharmacy in Thailand.

This is definitely wrong

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I had a friend who was shaken down for a fairly large bribe by the police in Thailand for possession of a single Valium pill without being able to show a prescription.

I am aware that pharmacies will often sell you drugs that are supposedly controlled, and you will usually get away with it. That does not mean you cannot get into serious trouble if you are unlucky.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If it's something on the level of Benzos or stronger you should definitely not bring it without a prescription

This is definitely wrong

You are correct. My poor wording. I certainly was not referring to zanax etc. I meant if its sold over the counter in Thai pharmacy, such as low sleeping pills, he would be fine. As one poster mentioned, he needs to state exactly what he wants to bring

Where are you flying from and via, Middle East can be a risk with some drugs too?

• Like 2

The thread would have been better in the Health forum.

AND again, you have to name exactly what kind of pills you want to bring in.

"Sleeping pills" is just too vague.

Maybe I can lure @Sheryl to the thread?

There is whole range of stuff that is not legally sold over the counter.

And of course stuff that requires to show prescription or is plain forbidden.

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Where are you flying from and via, Middle East can be a risk with some drugs too?

Have the wrong cough syrup in the carry-on baggage and you might end up in a cell. And that in transit!

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No, you cannot - nto legally anyway. Valium and other nezos are strictly controlled drugs and it is illegal to get them without a prescription and at a hospital pharamcy.

OP - rules on bringing in meds is that limit is 30 days supply, must be in clealry labelled bottle and proof of prescription.

If it is a controlled substance there may be additional requirements. We need to know the name of the medication.

No need for pills, a mug of hot fresh milk with a little sugar or honey is just as good. Puts me to sleep 2 or 3 evenings every week, for many years.

Not an old wives tail, cows milk naturally contains sedative properties so that calves drink more slowly. 

• Haha 1