Bringing pills on flight to thailand?

oskar55

Just wondering if I'd have any issue bringing a bunch of sleeping pills in my luggage on my flight to thailand, i've heard sleeping pills are hard to get in thailand so dunno whether or not they'd be cool with it. Also, if the box is already opened like i've already taken a few of the pills, is that okay as well? Would I have any problems whatsoever bringing them in?

18 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

sleeping pills, no

OK, so what you want to bring is available without prescription somewhere in the known universe (we don't know where you are).

The generic "sleeping pills" covers many drugs. Some are over the counter here, some are prescription only, and some will net you a nice stay in the slammer.

In order to give good advice we need to know EXACTLY what you want to bring.

EDIT It would also be useful to know if you are transiting through the Middle East where the rules are draconian.

6 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

I ran out of Zopiclone couldn't get them here. Anything you can walk into a store and buy can't be too potent so I doubt if it's an issue.

Won't be a problem. As mentioned above you can purchase many legal drugs such a Valium, over counter at pharmacy in Thailand.

If it's something on the level of Benzos or stronger you should definitely not bring it without a prescription

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Won't be a problem. As mentioned above you can purchase many legal drugs such a Valium, over counter at pharmacy in Thailand.

This is definitely wrong

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I had a friend who was shaken down for a fairly large bribe by the police in Thailand for possession of a single Valium pill without being able to show a prescription.

I am aware that pharmacies will often sell you drugs that are supposedly controlled, and you will usually get away with it. That does not mean you cannot get into serious trouble if you are unlucky.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If it's something on the level of Benzos or stronger you should definitely not bring it without a prescription

This is definitely wrong

You are correct. My poor wording. I certainly was not referring to zanax etc. I meant if its sold over the counter in Thai pharmacy, such as low sleeping pills, he would be fine. As one poster mentioned, he needs to state exactly what he wants to bring

The thread would have been better in the Health forum.

AND again, you have to name exactly what kind of pills you want to bring in.

"Sleeping pills" is just too vague.

Maybe I can lure @Sheryl to the thread?

There is whole range of stuff that is not legally sold over the counter.

And of course stuff that requires to show prescription or is plain forbidden.

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Where are you flying from and via, Middle East can be a risk with some drugs too?

Have the wrong cough syrup in the carry-on baggage and you might end up in a cell. And that in transit!

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No, you cannot - nto legally anyway. Valium and other nezos are strictly controlled drugs and it is illegal to get them without a prescription and at a hospital pharamcy.

OP - rules on bringing in meds is that limit is 30 days supply, must be in clealry labelled bottle and proof of prescription.

If it is a controlled substance there may be additional requirements. We need to know the name of the medication.

No need for pills, a mug of hot fresh milk with a little sugar or honey is just as good. Puts me to sleep 2 or 3 evenings every week, for many years.

Not an old wives tail, cows milk naturally contains sedative properties so that calves drink more slowly. 

Bringing non over counter drugs . Docs prescription from your country, apply to the Thai Govt department ,who ever it is, for permission to bring the drugs in , if stopping off, in transit, get permission from that countries Govt department to take your drugs into their country. Allow several weeks to get the replies. Cleverman is pleased to be of assistance. In case the knockers want to dispute anything I have stated, I have been through the procedure many times. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You are correct. My poor wording. I certainly was not referring to zanax etc. I meant if its sold over the counter in Thai pharmacy, such as low sleeping pills, he would be fine. As one poster mentioned, he needs to state exactly what he wants to bring

Wrong again. What may be fine here may not be fine intransit in ,say, Saudi or Malasia. Please stop giving what is just your opinion and do your research. Your "advice" could cause big trouble .

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

OK, so what you want to bring is available without prescription somewhere in the known universe (we don't know where you are).

The generic "sleeping pills" covers many drugs. Some are over the counter here, some are prescription only, and some will net you a nice stay in the slammer.

In order to give good advice we need to know EXACTLY what you want to bring.

EDIT It would also be useful to know if you are transiting through the Middle East where the rules are draconian.

from USA and https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-NightTime-Sleep-Aid-Caplets-25-mg-365-count/185176525

1 hour ago, oskar55 said:

The effective drug is Diphenhydramine HCL (25 mg).

It's sold under a myriad of different brand names in the US and also in Thailand like the one in the picture below.

I am quite certain that this is not restricted to take to Thailand. I would just advice not to come with a 365 tablet can but with a typical amount for personal use like 30 or so.

Should be easy to get at US drugstores.

Surprising to learn that (another) main use is for allergy.

Wait for more informed response.

dibendryl.jpg

2 hours ago, cleverman said:

Bringing non over counter drugs . Docs prescription from your country, apply to the Thai Govt department ,who ever it is, for permission to bring the drugs in , if stopping off, in transit, get permission from that countries Govt department to take your drugs into their country. Allow several weeks to get the replies. Cleverman is pleased to be of assistance. In case the knockers want to dispute anything I have stated, I have been through the procedure many times. 

No need to apply for permission except for drugs on the narcotic list. But there are other requirements in terms of quantity, labelling etc.

Anything on the narcotic list (assuming it is in a category legal for medical use), a permit from the Thai FDA  is required.

Again, poster needs to specify what the drug is exactly.

Sorry, didn't catch that.

No problem bringing this drug into Thailand (it is also readily bought here, cheaply) just make sure it is clearly labelled as what it is. And limit is 30 day supply i.e. not whole suitcase full.

Little reason to bring much of this to Thailand anyway since it is so cheap here.

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

No need for pills, a mug of hot fresh milk with a little sugar or honey is just as good. Puts me to sleep 2 or 3 evenings every week, for many years.

Not an old wives tail, cows milk naturally contains sedative properties so that calves drink more slowly. 

Agreed, but I take breast milk, it's even better ????

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Sorry, didn't catch that.

No problem bringing this drug into Thailand (it is also readily bought here, cheaply) just make sure it is clearly labelled as what it is. And limit is 30 day supply i.e. not whole suitcase full.

Little reason to bring much of this to Thailand anyway since it is so cheap here.

well i have the 365 capsules like i linked, you think they'd say something about that?

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

If they find them yes, they likely will and might confiscate most of it. If so you can get it back on your way out if the country.

Odds are your bags won't be checked.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well on flights I bring my carryon and also a backpack. If I put the little container with the sleeping pills in my backpack, you think they wont check my backpack, just my carryon they check?

12 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

Well on flights I bring my carryon and also a backpack. If I put the little container with the sleeping pills in my backpack, you think they wont check my backpack, just my carryon they check?

How would anybody know if they will check? Think man. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, oskar55 said:

Just wondering if I'd have any issue bringing a bunch of sleeping pills in my luggage

http://thaiembassy.se/en/tourism/restricted-medicine/

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/welcome/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/NARCO-list-update-05.10.2015.pdf

Check if your medicine has any substance on the list. You can only bring medication for a maximum of 30 days use. And it has to be in its original package.

You can only travel with medicine in Category 2. If your medicine is in the other category, you can't travel with it. There is no exemption.

If your medicine is in Category 2. You must apply for a permission to travel with it to Thailand. It has to be submitted at least 14 days before your arrival. If it's less than 14 days, you can't travel with it. There is no exemption. (Click here for application form and information)

When arriving in Thailand you must declare your medication at customs red exit. 

(this is the part you need to read)

If the prescription medicine not listed as controlled drugs. The medications are likely to be classified as medication preparations according to the Drug Act B.E. 2510. A patient under treatment of medications in that category is allowed to transport for personal use medications in a quantity Not Exceeding 30 Days of prescribed usage. However, such medications fall under the responsibility of the Bureau of Drug Control, Thai FDA. You can consult that office directly by sending an email to the Director of the Bureau of Drug Control: [email protected] Please also send a cc copy of that email to [email protected]

For more information please visit Food and Drug Administration of Thailand’s website at  permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th or contact directly to Drug Control Division, Food and Drug Administration e-mail to  [email protected]  or Narcotics Control Division e-mail to  [email protected]

Narcotics Control Division, Food and Drug AdministrationMinistry of Public Health
 Address: Narcotics Control Division, Food and Drug Administration
Ministry of Public Health,
Nonthaburi 11000, THAILAND
Tel : +66 2590 7346, Fax : +66 2591 8471
Email :  [email protected]

Archived