Woman's airport meltdown: Compatriot says: That's a Thai for you!

rooster59

Had a bit of a "meltdown" myself in Home Pro last night. My Ex. who is here on holiday bought a table lamp. At the checkout I gave the cashier my phone No. to gain a few points (club card). ...Problem No.1...they didn't have a bag big enough for the shade ...only had ones big enough for the lamp itself....Problem No 2. She gave me a discount of 79 Bt. but wouldn't give me the lamp without seeing my passport ..to get the discount, I presume. I didn't have it on me or my driving licence which was in the car. So I said forget about the discount and let us be on our way...."Passport...passport"  they kept asking me for...,",nevermind discount I kept telling them, just let the points ride and I'll get their benefit another time ..like always .. No way, the manager appeared along with about 3 other staff members and two men who were collecting the trolleys. At this stage I loudly said .."FORGET ABOUT THE DISCOUNT...NO WANT"...everybody switched off at that point claiming they didn't understand English and walked away from me. My Ex. then gave the cashier an extra 79 Bt. and bought a carrier bag for the shade ..and we duly went on our way.

As always ..I blame the mobile phones...people are getting more vegetative than ever.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Generally adopted by the person in their own mind. 

Most who think they are Hi-So really just think they are so much better than anyone else and expect everyone to 'obey' them.

Clearly the case with this woman. Usually Thai Chin and a husband who has a minor post in government/army/police. And other posters have questioned why I refuse to associate with these types! Give me a down to earth baan noak any day.

51 minutes ago, GettingBye said:

Whats all this jibber-jabber about this being so Thai?

This kind of thing happens everyday in the US. In fact, there was a video just a few days ago from Florida of an American woman going bonkers and trying to jump over the ticket counter in FL, I think.

Not to the extent it happens over here. If you have status you can demand or expect privilege. Upset with your Smart Phone, just punch the sales person in the face, and apologize later. No harm, no foul (if you have the status)  and of course no police action, charges or fines. It's all part of the P-Nong relationship

Time to get studying Thai Culture 101  :thumbsup: 

Had a bit of a "meltdown" myself in Home Pro last night. My Ex. who is here on holiday bought a table lamp. At the checkout I gave the cashier my phone No. to gain a few points (club card). ...Problem No.1...they didn't have a bag big enough for the shade ...only had ones big enough for the lamp itself....Problem No 2. She gave me a discount of 79 Bt. but wouldn't give me the lamp without seeing my passport ..to get the discount, I presume. I didn't have it on me or my driving licence which was in the car. So I said forget about the discount and let us be on our way...."Passport...passport"  they kept asking me for...,",nevermind discount I kept telling them, just let the points ride and I'll get their benefit another time ..like always .. No way, the manager appeared along with about 3 other staff members and two men who were collecting the trolleys. At this stage I loudly said .."FORGET ABOUT THE DISCOUNT...NO WANT"...everybody switched off at that point claiming they didn't understand English and walked away from me. My Ex. then gave the cashier an extra 79 Bt. and bought a carrier bag for the shade ..and we duly went on our way.
  As always ..I blame the mobile phones...people are getting more vegetative than ever.

Would have been easier to wear the lamp shade, and convinced everyone it's the latest fashion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, seajae said:

looks like she had 2 bags as well when should only have 1, thing is many thais like to have 2 bags or more  as well as them being over weight. My other problem is the ones that sit at the back of the plane putting their bars in the lockers at the front of the plane so they dont have to carry them so far meaning passengers at the front have no where to put their bags, Saw one hostie tell someone that did it to remove their bag and take it to the back and the passenger had a huge bitch at her, like the op says typical thai

The point is, it's not "typical Thai", that one (was every Thai person on that flight doing the same thing?) and this one are exceptions, most Thais are as reasonable as any other nationality.

airasia give commission to their employees that find overweight carry on luggage. very expensive to send that carry on bag as checkin. kl to bkk was 200usd for a carryon bag that was 10kilos

airlines need to be culturally aware and have leeway and discretion.

a possible strategy to have the overweight costs waived is to simply say you dont have the funds immediately available to pay and just tell them you will not go on that flight. they must then find your already checkin in luggage in the plane and remove it. this causes a delay that will be way more costly to the carrier then the pocket money they want to charge you

it will likely also be less costly for you to book a different flight and prepay excess weight as checkin even eating the cost of ticket

2 hours ago, bannork said:

This clip sees the return of one of my favourite Thai phrases- manut pba - translated loosely as a lady who demands privileges, i.e. expects to jump the queue, will do anything to be served first or have special treatment.

Sorry to correct you but it means pretty much the opposite. Guy shooting the video called the woman "manut ba" when she was having difficulty understanding that she could only have 7kg in her carry on. Most Thais recognise it from a popular Thai cartoon, not dissimilar to "The Flintstones". Actually comes from a primitive tribe in Southern Thailand. Usually used to mean uneducated, lacking in even the basic knowledge.

She looked pretty slim... How about fat people. I think airlines should scale people also. Overweight people with unhealthy lifestyles should pay extra. Fat people are also annoying for people who sit next to them. Just saying :). 

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sorry to correct you but it means pretty much the opposite. Guy shooting the video called the woman "manut ba" when she was having difficulty understanding that she could only have 7kg in her carry on. Most Thais recognise it from a popular Thai cartoon, not dissimilar to "The Flintstones". Actually comes from a primitive tribe in Southern Thailand. Usually used to mean uneducated, lacking in even the basic knowledge.

I'm afraid you're confusing the words ba ป่า which means forest with the word here ป้า  ba which means aunt. It's a different tone.

It means a pushy middle-aged lady.

I fly regularly with AA and find them quite strict with carry on weight. I have even seen people refused boarding at the gate after bags weighed on scales. Unlike Cebu Pacific, mainly carrying Filipinos who are totally incapable of travelling light. 

2 hours ago, GettingBye said:

Whats all this jibber-jabber about this being so Thai?

This kind of thing happens everyday in the US. In fact, there was a video just a few days ago from Florida of an American woman going bonkers and trying to jump over the ticket counter in FL, I think.

I was warned about TV being a place where old farang vent their anti-Thai opinions but I didn’t believe a bunch of expats who live here by their own choice could hold so much resentment towards the place.

Aw well, the best thing about Thailand is the freedom to do as you please and be who you are so whatever floats yer boat ????

You're a Newby".  Stick around, you'll learn. lol

I am in total agreement. Air Asia state 7kg and 2 bags maximum ie 7kg for 2 bags but they continually let people on with 3, 4 5 etc.

No point in having rules and not sticking to them for everyone. 

Same as people on scooters, bikes etc. You must wear a helmet, my arse and the police just allow it to happen.

My wife also has the attitude to let her son drive the car in the village. He has no license at all and she doesn't seem to be able to take it on board that if her son drives and is in an accident her car is not insured !!

4 hours ago, seajae said:

looks like she had 2 bags as well when should only have 1, thing is many thais like to have 2 bags or more  as well as them being over weight. My other problem is the ones that sit at the back of the plane putting their bars in the lockers at the front of the plane so they dont have to carry them so far meaning passengers at the front have no where to put their bags, Saw one hostie tell someone that did it to remove their bag and take it to the back and the passenger had a huge bitch at her, like the op says typical thai

in fact you can have two bags but they must not exceed 7 kg combined

as I have had reason to check AA and their baggage and most of their rules lately.

I am in total agreement. Air Asia state 7kg and 2 bags maximum ie 7kg for 2 bags but they continually let people on with 3, 4 5 etc.
No point in having rules and not sticking to them for everyone. 
Same as people on scooters, bikes etc. You must wear a helmet, my arse and the police just allow it to happen.
My wife also has the attitude to let her son drive the car in the village. He has no license at all and she doesn't seem to be able to take it on board that if her son drives and is in an accident her car is not insured !!
I reckon you and Mrs Mac need to have a serious chat?

your advise may lead to unnecessary argument... if it didn't broke why fix it...let the kid drive untill somebody get hurt then the misses (may or may not) hear
Only problem with that is if he killed or seriously injured someone, then could cost you dearly, but if that's how it is then let them carry on.

56 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

For me, as long as the bag fits in the overhead locker it shouldn’t be an issue. The weight is 14kg whether it’s in the hold or the overhead. It still has to go in the plane.

Part of the problem is the danger if the bag falls out of the locker, much greater if bag is overweight, and the other part is the effect on the trim of the plane with extra weight up high. That’s also why they charge extra at the airport for adding luggage, as well as making more money, as they have to recalculate the freight capacity and the trim. I remember being asked in the US to move seats with several others to balance on a half empty commuter jet. I was one of the lighter passengers!

Archived