BANGKOK 18 February 2019 01:59
rooster59

Woman's airport meltdown: Compatriot says: That's a Thai for you!

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sorry to correct you but it means pretty much the opposite. Guy shooting the video called the woman "manut ba" when she was having difficulty understanding that she could only have 7kg in her carry on. Most Thais recognise it from a popular Thai cartoon, not dissimilar to "The Flintstones". Actually comes from a primitive tribe in Southern Thailand. Usually used to mean uneducated, lacking in even the basic knowledge.

I'm afraid you're confusing the words ba ป่า which means forest with the word here ป้า  ba which means aunt. It's a different tone.

It means a pushy middle-aged lady.

Edited by bannork

I'd say maybe she has some mental health issues 

Might look normal but... 

Cause I think this ain't normal I never seen such extreme possible that she's 

A bit not clear in her mind 

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

If they did, would my wife end up in the hold?

Do you call her a bag?

• Like 1

I helped an old woman once when I saw she was having difficulties with her carry-on bag. Never again, it must have weighed at least 45kgs !!! Don,t know what she was carrying, but my knees were buckling after a few minutes 😞

I fly regularly with AA and find them quite strict with carry on weight. I have even seen people refused boarding at the gate after bags weighed on scales. Unlike Cebu Pacific, mainly carrying Filipinos who are totally incapable of travelling light. 

2 hours ago, GettingBye said:

Whats all this jibber-jabber about this being so Thai?

This kind of thing happens everyday in the US. In fact, there was a video just a few days ago from Florida of an American woman going bonkers and trying to jump over the ticket counter in FL, I think.

I was warned about TV being a place where old farang vent their anti-Thai opinions but I didn’t believe a bunch of expats who live here by their own choice could hold so much resentment towards the place.

Aw well, the best thing about Thailand is the freedom to do as you please and be who you are so whatever floats yer boat 😉

You're a Newby".  Stick around, you'll learn. lol

• Like 1

I am in total agreement. Air Asia state 7kg and 2 bags maximum ie 7kg for 2 bags but they continually let people on with 3, 4 5 etc.

No point in having rules and not sticking to them for everyone. 

Same as people on scooters, bikes etc. You must wear a helmet, my arse and the police just allow it to happen.

My wife also has the attitude to let her son drive the car in the village. He has no license at all and she doesn't seem to be able to take it on board that if her son drives and is in an accident her car is not insured !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seajae said:

looks like she had 2 bags as well when should only have 1, thing is many thais like to have 2 bags or more  as well as them being over weight. My other problem is the ones that sit at the back of the plane putting their bars in the lockers at the front of the plane so they dont have to carry them so far meaning passengers at the front have no where to put their bags, Saw one hostie tell someone that did it to remove their bag and take it to the back and the passenger had a huge bitch at her, like the op says typical thai

in fact you can have two bags but they must not exceed 7 kg combined

as I have had reason to check AA and their baggage and most of their rules lately.

39 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No, I am only a Rookie, but am practising every Night !

You reckon your the king, practising with a pawn queen perhaps?

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 1

I am in total agreement. Air Asia state 7kg and 2 bags maximum ie 7kg for 2 bags but they continually let people on with 3, 4 5 etc.
No point in having rules and not sticking to them for everyone. 
Same as people on scooters, bikes etc. You must wear a helmet, my arse and the police just allow it to happen.
My wife also has the attitude to let her son drive the car in the village. He has no license at all and she doesn't seem to be able to take it on board that if her son drives and is in an accident her car is not insured !!
I reckon you and Mrs Mac need to have a serious chat?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I reckon you and Mrs Mac need to have a serious chat?

your advise may lead to unnecessary argument... if it didn't broke why fix it...let the kid drive untill somebody get hurt then the misses (may or may not) hear

your advise may lead to unnecessary argument... if it didn't broke why fix it...let the kid drive untill somebody get hurt then the misses (may or may not) hear
Only problem with that is if he killed or seriously injured someone, then could cost you dearly, but if that's how it is then let them carry on.

56 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

For me, as long as the bag fits in the overhead locker it shouldn’t be an issue. The weight is 14kg whether it’s in the hold or the overhead. It still has to go in the plane.

Part of the problem is the danger if the bag falls out of the locker, much greater if bag is overweight, and the other part is the effect on the trim of the plane with extra weight up high. That’s also why they charge extra at the airport for adding luggage, as well as making more money, as they have to recalculate the freight capacity and the trim. I remember being asked in the US to move seats with several others to balance on a half empty commuter jet. I was one of the lighter passengers!