Bicycle Customs Charges on High-End racing bike

CangguSurfer

I have a high-end bike ($2,600 racing bike) that I did not bring with me when I travelled here to Chiang Mai.  I am thinking of having it sent over to me (or I may just bring it back with me the next time I visit the States).  My concern:  Even though I have owned and ridden the bike for a couple of years, I am very meticulous about keeping it in perfect condition, so for all intents and purposes it looks like a brand new bike.  Not only that but I would be using the original cardboard shipping box the bike came in for shipping it here or for bringing it on the plane (nothing unusual about this since lots of cyclist who travel do this). 

So, I am worried that Customs might consider it a brand new bike.  From what I've heard, customs duty on new bikes is something like 40%!  There is no way I am going to do this if there's a chance they will hit me up for such a ridiculously exorbitant charge!   I mean plenty of cyclists come to Thailand and bring expensive bikes.  I'm sure some even purchase a new bike to bring with them when they come here to Chiang Mai.  Does anyone here have advice on how to avoid being charged duty on a high-end bike I already own and will be using only for personal use and then taking home with me when I leave the Kingdom?  There must be a way around this dilemma.

Edited by CangguSurfer

A 2600 USD bike high-end? Well... Or was that a typo and it's 26000 USD?

Anyway, I cannot really provide any insight into what the customs officers will do, but two years ago I've brought my road bike (worth around 2000 USD and also quite well maintained) to Thailand and no one even took a second look at it. It was partially disassembled and in a typical padded soft bag used for transporting bikes. So I guess you don't have to worry.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shadowofacloud said:

A 2600 USD bike high-end? Well... Or was that a typo and it's 26000 USD?

Anyway, I cannot really provide any insight into what the customs officers will do, but two years ago I've brought my road bike (worth around 2000 USD and also quite well maintained) to Thailand and no one even took a second look at it. It was partially disassembled and in a typical padded soft bag used for transporting bikes. So I guess you don't have to worry.

Thanks for words of encouragement.  Regarding "high-end", I guess "high-end" is a relative term.  I consider a BMC SLR03 carbon frame bike a high-end bike irregardless of price.  Further, I am on a tight budget and would not be able to afford paying Thai Customs over $1,000 for the privilege of having my own bike here in Thailand.  

It really irks me that Thai Customs charges such ridiculously high duty on so many personal-type items.  I can understand if the items in question compete with Thai-made goods but Thailand is not known for producing high-quality road bikes at all!  /End rant...My 2 cents worth ????