Greek police fire teargas at protesting teachers in Athens

rooster59

Greek police fire teargas at protesting teachers in Athens

800x800 (5).jpg

A protester moves amid tear gas smoke as Greek school teachers scuffle with riot police during a demonstration against government plans to change hiring procedures in the public sector in Athens, Greece, January 11, 2019. REUTERS/Costas Baltas

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police on Friday fired teargas to disperse hundreds of teachers protesting against government plans to change hiring procedures in the public sector.

About 2,000 protesters, most of them with the Communist affiliated group PAME, marched through central Athens waving red flags and chanting slogans against an education ministry bill currently under public consultation.

They unfurled a banner reading: "Take the monstrous bill back".

Police clashed with some of the protesters outside parliament and fired teargas at a group that tried to reach the prime minister's office.

Greece froze hirings in the public sector during its protracted debt crisis which began in late 2009. The country's third international bailout since 2010 expired in August.

Teachers' unions say state schools are under-staffed and are demanding the creation of more permanent jobs for teachers.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-12

Was in Athens around 1972 and my hotel was central enough to be close to these never ending demos that the Greeks seem to love. First experience of teargas and lucky that the hotel had sufficient floors that I could get above the fumes. Not pleasant.

11 hours ago, dabhand said:

Was in Athens around 1972 and my hotel was central enough to be close to these never ending demos that the Greeks seem to love. First experience of teargas and lucky that the hotel had sufficient floors that I could get above the fumes. Not pleasant.

Greece was under an American supported, brutal military dictatorship in 1972 , I doubt there were any protests then, perhaps you are remembering the 1972 polytechnic uprising that resulted in the death of 24 students. I am sure it was not a "demo Greeks seem to love".  The Greeks had and have good reason to demonstrate and love none of it.

4 hours ago, Ulic said:

The French and the Greeks, world-class professional protestors. :whistling:

Copy cat anarchists. We often hear about the red blooded Mediterranean types.

How about the red necked, stiff necked, red under the bed communists and anarchists, that have/ will bring their economies to bankruptcy.

No sympathy anymore. Along with huge corruption in all sectors, it is time for the Meds to start paying Their debt off

Archived