New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 19:03
OliverKlozerof

Get Trusted Thai Friend To Buy Motorbike For Me?

You don't need a driving license to register a bike, so i don't see a reason why you should register it on somebody else.

The insurance that "came with the motorbike" is the compulsary insurance, this covers only medical costs, and only up to 80k per person (30k for you as the driver if you are in the wrong). So if you happen to crash into a Benz and cause 500k damage you have to pay this out of your own pocket, but this compulsary insurance does indeed not require a driving license.

Any real insurance will probably only cover you if you have a valid driving license. Insurances are usually vehicle bound, so when you buy it you don't need a license, but if you ever make a claim they will most likely ask to see the driving license of the driver.

500THB is afaik the official fine for driving without license, but depending on how much you drive in Bangkok you might be checked twice a week, so 500THB each time will sum up.

Edited by jackdd

Nicky and Jack said...

• 'You don't need a Thai drivers license to register a motorbike.'

Is this the same as saying I don't need a Thai drivers license in order to buy a motorbike in my name from a shop and drive it off the lot?

(I do have a Thai car license, BTW, but not motorbike license. I also don't have any valid licenses from any other country...my US car license lapsed some years ago...that's why I got a Thai car license.)

Re: International Driving Permit
Guessing this would need to be specific to motorcycle driving? Or, can I get one using my Thai car license that would suffice? And: Can one acquire IDL (I'm American), in LOS and if so where?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

500THB is afaik the official fine for driving without license, but depending on how much you drive in Bangkok you might be checked twice a week, so 500THB each time will sum up.

Really? I had no idea. Can anyone in BKK second

this? I'd mostly being riding upper Sukhumvit and sub sois around here. But might occasionally head over to Silom, etc.

Edited by OliverKlozerof

1 minute ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Is this the same as saying I don't need a Thai drivers license in order to buy a motorbike in my name from a shop and drive it off the lot?

Yes

1 minute ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Guessing this would need to be specific to motorcycle driving?

Yes, of course, if you don't have an American motorcycle license you are not allowed to ride one in Thailand with it

3 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Can one acquire IDL (I'm American), in LOS and if so where?

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html#four

5 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Really? I had no idea. Can anyone in BKK second

this? I'd mostly being riding upper Sukhumvit and sub sois around here. But might occasionally head over to Silom, etc.

Depends where in BKK some places they often check and the area you mention might be checked a lot especially if there are clubs and drinking going on. I don't get it why you don't make a license it will cost you one day. That is it not a big problem.

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You do not seem too worried about hitting a pricey car.

Here is something else to ponder - what if you hit and kill a pedestrian ?

Anyone not carrying full first class insurance is ...

No need to finish the sentence above 

Killing somebody in an accident is cheap in Thailand (and the compulsary insurance will pay 200k even without license), hitting an expensive car costs way more:

Can someone tell me how I can prove a green book is fake?

Are there numbers that need to match?

7 minutes ago, bikerlou47 said:

Can someone tell me how I can prove a green book is fake?

Are there numbers that need to match?

Take it to your local DLT and ask them if it matches what they have in their computer. and make sure the chassis and engine number matches your bike

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1