Can someone with a Retirement Visa operate an Air B&B?

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Isn't Air BnB illegal in Thailand?

The platform itself is not illegal for use in Thailand and also not all listings are illegal.

For example these two situations are legal:

- A private person rents out a room for more than 30 days at a time (a foreigner might need a work permit for this)

- A hotel with a valid license lists its rooms there

But lets face it, 90% of the listings on Airbnb don't fall in these categories and are actually illegal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

To rent out a room / condo / house on a short term basis (less than 30 days) you need a hotel license (doesn't matter if you are foreigner or Thai)

So probably you will not be able to do what you plan to do on a legal basis

only need a hotel license if one has more than 5 rooms.... to rent 1 room 30 days or more no license required

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not yet still 1000's of listings in Thailand

Thai government allows them to operate thus contradictory to what somebody said. Also, was informed by a lawyer, Thai property law allows owner to profit (take advantage) from his/hers investment, law can be challenged if necessary..... but as long as Thai government allows AirBnB to operate means it's some how acceptable to rent on a daily/weekly/month basis, matter of interpretation

Most of the bigger cities (like mine - Chiang Mai) do regular raids of hotels and smaller establishment to check that they are properly registered... My assumption is that they simply get the addresses of these place by just going online to places like Agoda, Booking.com and AirBNB... 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/06/24/thai-law-case-closed-on-airbnb-heres-why-it-wont-matter/

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

You think the Thai government can shut down an American company?

Not saying your wrong. Just to add, Japan gov insisted all airbnb be registered and fully approved. Namba, Osaka as an example went from zillion listings to few. 

I just prior to Xmas used airbnb at few places phuket. So yes readily available. 

Back to op. I cannot see how farang can manage an airbnb listing and not be regarded as working. I live here in los on, along with other means, have several rentals in Australia. I use agents but still of course involved almost weekly basis. I pay all required taxes in au. 

So I pose question. If I owned real estate in los and had bnb listings, is that working. Of course it is. That's not digital nomad stuff. The guests are paying for service in los. 

I imagine there are many farang who own condo here doing same. You won't get caught. YET! 

BTW..what's so important about reference to USA company. How your iphone shares going.

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, kane666 said:

Why on earth do you think Thailand couldn't completely outlaw AirB&B in their own country if they wanted to?

Did i ever say they can't outlaw it? I even stated already that probably 90% of the listings are illegal, so it's actually outlawed already.

They can of course prosecute people in Thailand who use it for illegal activities (they are doing this already), but they can not force Airbnb to stop offering the platform to people in Thailand as the previous poster implied by saying "[...] but as long as Thai government allows AirBnB to operate [...]" to which i replied.

Edited by jackdd