bringing or shipping medications to Thailand

newkidintown

I got all the wrong answers here.  I was told nonsense, specifically that I can only bring 30 days supply on my person or in a shipment.  

I read the laws here.  That is utter nonsense. 

If the drug you want to bring here is not a narcotic, you can bring in all that you need.  I had several drugs shipped from the USA to Bangkok and each one was a year's supply.  No one cares.

I got all the wrong answers here.  I was told nonsense, specifically that I can only bring 30 days supply on my person or in a shipment.  

I read the laws here.  That is utter nonsense. 

If the drug you want to bring here is not a narcotic, you can bring in all that you need.  I had several drugs shipped from the USA to Bangkok and each one was a year's supply.  No one cares.
Not true. Mine got intercepted twice by customs and that was regular mail not courier.
First shipment was taxed. Second was confiscated as they required a special licence to import medicine.

This medicine is not a controlled substance in Thailand. I no longer import to much of a hassle and customs house is a 4 hour round trip including traveling time and waiting with ticket..not so different to immigration times

22 minutes ago, madmen said:

Not true. Mine got intercepted twice by customs and that was regular mail not courier.
First shipment was taxed. Second was confiscated as they required a special licence to import medicine.

This medicine is not a controlled substance in Thailand. I no longer import to much of a hassle and customs house is a 4 hour round trip including traveling time and waiting with ticket..not so different to immigration times

What was the drug and how much of it was there?  I had my friend put the value at 80 Dollars.

2 hours ago, newkidintown said:

Where can I find the laws and regulations regarding shipping meds into Thailand?

http://thaiembassy.se/en/tourism/restricted-medicine/

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/welcome/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/NARCO-list-update-05.10.2015.pdf

Check if your medicine has any substance on the list. You can only bring medication for a maximum of 30 days use. And it has to be in its original package.

You can only travel with medicine in Category 2. If your medicine is in the other category, you can't travel with it. There is no exemption.

If your medicine is in Category 2. You must apply for a permission to travel with it to Thailand. It has to be submitted at least 14 days before your arrival. If it's less than 14 days, you can't travel with it. There is no exemption. (Click here for application form and information)

When arriving in Thailand you must declare your medication at customs red exit. 

If the prescription medicine not listed as controlled drugs. The medications are likely to be classified as medication preparations according to the Drug Act B.E. 2510. A patient under treatment of medications in that category is allowed to transport for personal use medications in a quantity Not Exceeding 30 Days of prescribed usage. However, such medications fall under the responsibility of the Bureau of Drug Control, Thai FDA. You can consult that office directly by sending an email to the Director of the Bureau of Drug Control: [email protected] Please also send a cc copy of that email to [email protected]

For more information please visit Food and Drug Administration of Thailand’s website at  permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th or contact directly to Drug Control Division, Food and Drug Administration e-mail to  [email protected]  or Narcotics Control Division e-mail to  [email protected]

Narcotics Control Division, Food and Drug AdministrationMinistry of Public Health
 Address: Narcotics Control Division, Food and Drug Administration
Ministry of Public Health,
Nonthaburi 11000, THAILAND
Tel : +66 2590 7346, Fax : +66 2591 8471
Email :  [email protected]

What was the drug and how much of it was there?  I had my friend put the value at 80 Dollars.
It was generic lyrica
It was 10 k baht worth and she wanted 5k tax and talked her down to 2k. Said if I can't get it for 2k I don't want it.

2 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

This is where everyone gets it wrong.  30 days is for narcotics. 

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

If the prescription medicine not listed as controlled drugs. The medications are likely to be classified as medication preparations according to the Drug Act B.E. 2510. A patient under treatment of medications in that category is allowed to transport for personal use medications in a quantity Not Exceeding 30 Days of prescribed usage. 

I have being traveling to Thailand for over 13 years, in the past 5 I have being bringing about 1 months of a statin, my BP medication,  Omeprazole because the meds upset my stomach, and 80 mg aspirin.  Simply because I have them, all of them can be had very inexpensively in Thailand. 

I never declare anything, no one ever said anything to me, one time I was asked what they were at the airport, I told them they were for my heart condition and that was that.

With some medications (don't know how true) I have being told, and seem to remember reading a thread of someone who was detained in Doha, so if transiting there or similar locations perhaps it might be a good idea to check on that.

Perhaps someone here knows more about this. 

Whatever the written rules, toss them out the window.

Bring your medicine with your home country's doctor's letter and be prepared to spin your polite requests at airport customs if stopped.

You may be surprised to know that a lot of harder drugs are available at pharmacies. Such as tramadol opiate, that's reportedly ruining many people's brains. It's sold like candy in Thailand. It shouldn't be, but....

1 hour ago, TonyClifton said:

30 days is bull#&*#.

In Thailand, the law is the law. (as I have often been reminded)

A certified copy of a registered doctors' prescription and the reasons for may help. In your own country.

Go to the Thai consulate embassy or consulate prior to travel is recommended.

Also talk to your own country's border control. Get it right before you travel. Declare it with letters and approvals on arrival in the Kingdom.

If you try to slip it through, you may be arrested, you may be banned from the kingdom. 

I have found that most Thai clinics may issue every drug you require. If you are legitimate.

8 hours ago, newkidintown said:

Thanks NCC1701A   I should have clarified that the meds are for my wife  who is a Thai living in Thailand...are there any allowances for Thais?

i don't know.

i think at some point this becomes a "importing something into the country issue", not just about medication. you could try to import one months worth at a time by mail. as long as it is not restricted. 

30 days is bull#&*#.
It is however the law.

In practice they do not udually count out numbers of tablets and as ling as it looks consistent with short term personal use (and is not a controlled substance) they don't much care.

This is re taking in meds with you in accompanied baggage. OP however is asking about having them mailed to him after he is here.

Legally cannot do that, to import pharmaceuticals of any type requires an FDA license which only licensed oharmacies, hospitals erc can obtain.

In practice custons will usually (but not always) allow through small quantities if sent by regular mail. Sent by courier will almost always result in problems.

OP depending on what the meds are theymay be available here in an inexpensive local brand sold without prescription.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks NCC1701A   I should have clarified that the meds are for my wife  who is a Thai living in Thailand...are there any allowances for Thais?

No. If anything customs would be more likely to enforce the law against import of meds literally for a Thai. It is technically illegal for any private citizen but when quantities are small and recipient a foreigner, they often look the other way. As a Thai citizen she is eligible for free medical care here including meds. So no reason to be receiving it from abroad.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived