LSuwaratana

My First Post

7 minutes ago, LSuwaratana said:

As a Half Thai Half American

do you speak Thai?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

do you speak Thai?

I can speak it enough to get around but I never really learned it. I have all the tones down, it's just the vocabulary and writing. All of my family was homeschooled by my mother, and thus we mostly speak english. I'm still very young so I could learn it, but my plans are to move to America when I turn 18 for college.

• Like 1

For me as a french man ( nobody is perfect :tongue: ), it's a good photo ;

maybe it should be better if you can open at f/1,4 or 1,7 so you can have  a better bokeh ..

I don't know which lens you have used because there is no Canon 25 mm lens .

Hope my " french-english " enough good for you 

For portrait, with an APS size sensor, i'd use a 60mm lens.. Light is harsh too, look at the shadow of the nose...

@Assurancetourix Oops I meant a 24 ef-s lens! Yea I was shooting at f/4 because this lens is not the best at wider apertures 

@KiChakayan A 60mm on a 1.6 crop factor would be around 96mm! That's a lotta zoom. I would feel like a creep taking kids' pictures!

3 hours ago, LSuwaratana said:

@Assurancetourix Oops I meant a 24 ef-s lens! Yea I was shooting at f/4 because this lens is not the best at wider apertures 

@KiChakayan A 60mm on a 1.6 crop factor would be around 96mm! That's a lotta zoom. I would feel like a creep taking kids' pictures!

You haven't heard about "bokeh"? A topic that's a lot more interesting than "creeps", when it comes to photography..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

You haven't heard about "bokeh"? A topic that's a lot more interesting than "creeps", when it comes to photography..

bokeh is the blurring effect on the parts of the picture that aren't in focus.

ideally you want your whole subject to be in the sharp area

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, manarak said:

bokeh is the blurring effect on the parts of the picture that aren't in focus.

ideally you want your whole subject to be in the sharp area

1024px-Josefina_with_Bokeh.jpg

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

1024px-Josefina_with_Bokeh.jpg

precisely

6 hours ago, manarak said:

precisely

Hence my initial comment to the OP about a 60mm lens, bokeh control is best achieved with longer lenses, which have less depth of field.

@kichakayan correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't bokeh about a wider aperture a further background from the subject? 

Im not a Bokeh freak myself, I like the natural look but everyones eye is different. That being said, excellent  candid photo, a step to the right(?) or back might have alleviated the harshness and light shadow combo, did you shoot jpeg or RAW and did you post process

@Nyezhov I have both the raw and the jpeg, but this image is just the jpeg. I didn't do any editing to it! There were people taking videos to the right of my so I didn't want to obstruct them 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, LSuwaratana said:

@kichakayan correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't bokeh about a wider aperture a further background from the subject? 

You can also achieve bokeh or out of focus background with telephotos and a large distance between your subject and the background. This gives a different feel and compression of the image.

The shot is candid and as some have said, the light and shadows are harsh, but I am okay with that in a candid image as long as the subject shows expression - and that child does. I would crop that image. I am not a big fan of including a lot of background just because it is out of focus unless it adds.

You backgrounds don't add to this image. I would crop the left side to the back of the head of the child and maybe even crop some of the head. I would lose as much of the right hand side as I could. I would make it very much portrait and even lose some of the space above the head.

By cropping, you let the child's expression guide you as to what you think is in her surroundings. That is what I like about candid and street photos.

Keep doing what you do and enjoy it.

• Thanks 1