Friend got overstay stamp for reporting 90 days late

13 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I don't get it.

If you thought that the extension had reset your 90 day clock, why were you doing a 90 day report 2 weeks later?

btw, I was under the impression that an annual extension does reset the clock. at least it would seem logical.

Agreed, but logic isn't in oversupply at Immigration. I got caught a few years ago thinking the same, that a new 1-year retirement extension would reset the 90 days, a thought that cost me a fine and passport stamp. It doesn't. The ONLY thing that resets the 90-day reporting requirement is leaving the country and coming back on a new TM card which starts the clock ticking on a new 90-day period.

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Logic didn't figure into it.  At least not the logic I am accustomed to...

I did the 90 day report because the lady at my employment agency snapped to the fact that I hadn't done one and offered to go with me to the One Stop clean it up (same lady who had taken me for my extension 2 weeks earlier).  

I don't claim to know any answers.  I just know what happened to me.

she wasn't on the ball when you did the extension then

2 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Agreed, but logic isn't in oversupply at Immigration. I got caught a few years ago thinking the same, that a new 1-year retirement extension would reset the 90 days, a thought that cost me a fine and passport stamp. It doesn't. The ONLY thing that resets the 90-day reporting requirement is leaving the country and coming back on a new TM card which starts the clock ticking on a new 90-day period.

Your first extension actually does reset the 90 days. The immigration officer messed up in your case. Best to ask to make sure.

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

she wasn't on the ball when you did the extension then

On that we agree.  And I made a bad assumption that getting the extension also served as a 90 day report.  Bottom line, my wallet was 2000 baht skinnier and the stamp was in my passport.

The reason I've mentioned it on TVF about half a dozen times is to (hopefully) prevent others from falling into the same pothole.